Seizing our gold

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Seizing our gold

Postby Copper Member » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:12 pm

There been several stories on numerous websites that Marc Faber thinks that someday the gov will take our gold. He suggests that it be kept offshore. Your thoughts.....
check me out on facebook Lake's Coin's and Militaria
Copper Member
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Seizing our gold

Postby Treetop » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:24 pm

I wouldnt say I think its likely, but it is certainly possible. Its happened already of course. I wouldnt be surprised to see PM owners one day being called out publicly for betting against the dollar. They might not get a lot stealing citizens gold, but i could see it as a tool to pacify public anger somewhat. "they" will need as many scape goats as they can get when fiat starts to break down.

this is among the reasons I like silver over gold, all this is much less likely with silver Id think.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Copper Member » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:32 pm

I think that they would do it under the disguise of bringing us back to the gold standard or some sort of pegging of the dollar to gold. That being said, our reserves do not cover the notes that are outstanding. I could see that happening.
Copper Member
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Shifty51 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:21 pm

Well in addition to gold I invest in lead so if they are coming for the gold I guess they can have my lead as well. It's the least I can do.
He who does not respect the penny is not worthy of the dollar
Shifty51
Penny Sorter Member

Postby rickygee » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:22 pm

Our bullion reserves are tungsten bars spray painted with Krylon Gold spray paint.

That's why Fort Knox is so well guarded.
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Postby Bluegill » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:42 pm

The government can take your Au, Ag, firearms or anything else it wants, including your children and your life. There isn't a god damn thing you, me or anybody else is going to do but comply if you want to live. That or get left dead in a pool of your own blood. There are also things worse than death the Government can do to you.., and your family...

The time for resistance is looooong gone. Like a wounded animal, never under estimate the tenacity and ferocity of a corrupt sociopath government desperately trying to preserve it's status quo.

As far as seizing Au, they can come up with a list of reasons and rationals as long as a phone book.

Sorry for being a Debbie Downer, but that is stone cold in your face reality. Don't take my word for it. Go out there and openly defy a Government mandate, make a heroic stand. See how fast they make a bruised and bloody example out of you, if they even let you live. Make an armed heroic stand, they will do things worse than death to you and your family.

Bottom line, yes, they can seize your gold. They have done it once, and if it is in their best interest, it will be done again. The chance of it happening are not that remote anymore either.
Bluegill
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:50 pm

I agree with bluegill and intend to comply fully with all government orders without comment or complaint. just like I always have.

I suggest ya'll do the same.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby TXBullion » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:59 pm

if anyone wants a good somewhat first hand account on how the gold seizure went
read
the great depression diary by benjamin roth
TXBullion

Postby Diggin4copper » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:03 pm

I have a screaming liberal relative that I fear will point toward me when the time comes..... whether its gold, left vs right, or whatever just to save his skin ... if things get bad, I may have to pretend to go along with those in power... not the America I grew up in...
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Dano » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:07 pm

TXBullion wrote:if anyone wants a good somewhat first hand account on how the gold seizure went
read
the great depression diary by benjamin roth

+1

Great book! I highly recommend it. The parallels to today are eerily similar.
"Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves."
Dano
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby BamaJoe » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:35 pm

First they would grab the 401's and IRS's. The money there dwarfs the amount held by gold holders. Could they do it - sure, but what they get out of it would fund the government beast about a week.

Still, by the time they add up the manpower, shovels and heavy equipment needed, and shear time involved in locating it they would be facing a losing proposition in getting mine. I've forgotten where it is all buried - hell, I think some of it is located right under where they built that nice new IRS building. :lol:
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby blackrabbit » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:38 pm

I will comply totally as well. It's just that someone stole all my gold, or it fell in a lake or something like that the week before they put the order in to seize it. ;)
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:56 am

What you metals guys want is the long, steady decline in the accepted standard of living to fully benefit from hedging in PM's. I've always held the notion that the End-of-Times would not play well with gold or silver, given that the gov't (either party) wasn't about to stand idly by and allow a very small percentage of the people to profit from disaster.

What'd you think? You'd hop in the car, drive to the gas station and trade a half roll of Morgans for a tankful, then head over to Costco to pick up a week's groceries with the mercury dimes, while starving zombies in the parking lots applauded your financial foresight? :D

If things go too rapidly from bad to worse I think it's just a question of when, not if, they come for the shiny stuff. And they can always make it illegal to trade goods & services for anything but the "approved" coin of the realm...whatever new and improved fiat that might be.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby NHsorter » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:12 am

Morsecode wrote:What you metals guys want is the long, steady decline in the accepted standard of living to fully benefit from hedging in PM's. I've always held the notion that the End-of-Times would not play well with gold or silver, given that the gov't (either party) wasn't about to stand idly by and allow a very small percentage of the people to profit from disaster.

What'd you think? You'd hop in the car, drive to the gas station and trade a half roll of Morgans for a tankful, then head over to Costco to pick up a week's groceries with the mercury dimes, while starving zombies in the parking lots applauded your financial foresight? :D

If things go too rapidly from bad to worse I think it's just a question of when, not if, they come for the shiny stuff. And they can always make it illegal to trade goods & services for anything but the "approved" coin of the realm...whatever new and improved fiat that might be.

I get a sense that a lot of you guys are cheering for a decline or a collapse. I don't care how many PM's or Preps you have. A decline or collapse is not very likely to be helpful to you. Or anyone. I understand that if you have been stockpiling gold & silver that you would be wishful for events that will help your assets appreciate. But a terrible economy, or worse, is still not something to cheer for. A strong job market and healthy free trade is what you should be cheering for. Plan for the worst and wish for the best. Don't plan & wish for the worst.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:22 pm

I am not cheering, but there is definitely a decline and unless the current ruling class is overthrown or something similar it will continue to get worse. They are not going to change policy course radically that would reverse it. Any revolution or even coup is extremely unlikely with the level of technological surveillance and controls so the decline will continue. Best to hold real assets and watch them appreciate as the multitude of continued paper money schemes inevitably collapse. No need to cheer. Just live as best and as happily as you can while still being realistic about what is happening. Also be as good as you can to your fellow man and the rest of life on the planet. That is the real hope.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby SilverDragon72 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:48 pm

Bluegill wrote:The government can take your Au, Ag, firearms or anything else it wants, including your children and your life. There isn't a god damn thing you, me or anybody else is going to do but comply if you want to live. That or get left dead in a pool of your own blood. There are also things worse than death the Government can do to you.., and your family...

The time for resistance is looooong gone. Like a wounded animal, never under estimate the tenacity and ferocity of a corrupt sociopath government desperately trying to preserve it's status quo.

As far as seizing Au, they can come up with a list of reasons and rationals as long as a phone book.

Sorry for being a Debbie Downer, but that is stone cold in your face reality. Don't take my word for it. Go out there and openly defy a Government mandate, make a heroic stand. See how fast they make a bruised and bloody example out of you, if they even let you live. Make an armed heroic stand, they will do things worse than death to you and your family.

Bottom line, yes, they can seize your gold. They have done it once, and if it is in their best interest, it will be done again. The chance of it happening are not that remote anymore either.

I am inclined to agree with you, Bluegill. The government has NO shame in it's dealings. History and current events have already proven that. Sadly.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:54 pm

BamaJoe wrote:First they would grab the 401's and IRS's. The money there dwarfs the amount held by gold holders. Could they do it - sure, but what they get out of it would fund the government beast about a week.

Still, by the time they add up the manpower, shovels and heavy equipment needed, and shear time involved in locating it they would be facing a losing proposition in getting mine. I've forgotten where it is all buried - hell, I think some of it is located right under where they built that nice new IRS building. :lol:

That would be bad. I cannot imagine the population would go along with that so easily though....the amount of civil protest and unrest would be HUGE! I don't know if our own military would go along with it, either. Most people in the military have a thing called a "conscience" and some of them would rebel against mass search and seizure of it's own citizens? I don't know. Could it ultimately happen? Sure it could....hope I'm proven wrong :!:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby brian0918 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:21 pm

Recommendation: If there's ever any serious threat of physical seizure, find a trusted family member with a lot of property and bury your PMs on their property, without their knowledge. This may be easy or difficult depending on how much you have. The benefits are: easy access whenever you need it; no risk of the property owner preventing you from digging it up; and if they don't know about it, they won't have to lie for you.
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby penny pretty » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:21 pm

If they take MY gold, will the govt. at least provide me with a straw, and a blender?
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (6.45 KiB) Viewed 433 times
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:12 am

As much as people dislike bullion coins being put into necklaces, being able to declare them as jewelery could very well keep your PMs in your hands rather than the government's. It could also provide you with a way to carry bullion across borders in a time of need.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby brian0918 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:48 am

Engineer wrote:As much as people dislike bullion coins being put into necklaces, being able to declare them as jewelery could very well keep your PMs in your hands rather than the government's. It could also provide you with a way to carry bullion across borders in a time of need.

Is there any evidence that such a tactic would work on a large scale? For example, has anyone tried taking 500 1/10 oz gold coins in bezel necklaces across the border? If not, I wouldn't count on it, especially if a public seizure of gold occurs.
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Copper Member » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:43 am

They are going to take your money for healthcare, so I'm pretty sure they can do what they want.
Copper Member
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:56 pm

The gov't claims the right to seize all drugs. How is that working out for them? If they seize gold it won't be your private coin collection they will take over the big institutional deposits like GLD, Sprott, COMEX, investment bank vaults, and maybe the actual mines themselves. Trying to SWAT raid grandpa's coin collection would meet heavy public and legal/consitutional resistance and maybe even refusal of local police to co-operate.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rosco » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:57 pm

Thogey wrote:I agree with bluegill and intend to comply fully with all government orders without comment or complaint. just like I always have.

I suggest ya'll do the same.

:? Did you just give us all Tongue :(

THAT'S NOT NICE :lol:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby Gobirds66 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:06 pm

Think about it..... For the government to want to start seizing your gold, they have to stop producing and selling bullion themselves, but the government makes too much money off of selling bullion at a premium, inside and outside of the USA. They control the distribution channels for ASE's and AGE's as well. If they can sell gold at a premium, why would they pull it back and basically cut off a revenue source for them.

I believe that what may happen before you see them "coming after" the gold, is that they will effectively shut down the import of Maples, Philharmonics, Pandas, Krugers, through some Money Act effectively banning foreign bullion after a certain date. Of course, generic bullion produced by authorized licensed private mints having a serial number will be able to be produced as well, but the private mints will be heavily regulated and forced to pay a tax per ounce that will make it not profitable for them to continue, making the AGE and the ASE the only bullion produced. At that time, the government can control the premium they place on it.

Why take away our gold and silver when they can create a greater market for it and profit off of it through supply and demand that they can solely manipulate?
If they give you lined paper, write the other way....
Gobirds66
Penny Sorter Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals