what does your dealer pay you for junk?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

what does your dealer pay you for junk?

Postby 97guns » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:57 pm

just wondering what dealers are paying
Retired in 2009 with 300K in net worth by going all in with cash flowing real estate. every disposable penny goes back into savings via PM's - by using this technique my net worth has nearly doubled up.

ABCD investing - ANYTHING BERNANKE CAN'T DESTROY
97guns
Penny Collector Member

Re: what does your dealer pay you for junk?

Postby jasmatk » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:01 pm

last time i checked when spot was around $27.50 they were paying 15x im sure its about the same now maybe a little more
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby MO-SILVER! » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:11 pm

Mine will pay 19.4x face. When spot hit $30 they offered 20x.
Formerly spartan_b88 on old forum.

"For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?" Matthew 16:26
MO-SILVER!
Penny Pincher Member

Postby bman » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:22 pm

I don't know...I sell all my scrap silver to Realcent members :mrgreen:
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Nokozan » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:33 am

i recently walked into a local coin store to sell my 40% half's. the guy offered me 2.25 Each :o . i honestly was a little surprised i dont understand coin dealer relationships and stuff but i felt just that low ball of an offer meant to me he has no respect for me whatsoever. maybe i looked a kid that swiped my dads coin collection to sell and he thought i had no idea about silver value but, im never going to set foot in that place ever again. am i over reacting?
Nokozan
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Market Harmony » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:42 am

Nokozan wrote:i recently walked into a local coin store to sell my 40% half's. the guy offered me 2.25 Each :o . i honestly was a little surprised i dont understand coin dealer relationships and stuff but i felt just that low ball of an offer meant to me he has no respect for me whatsoever. maybe i looked a kid that swiped my dads coin collection to sell and he thought i had no idea about silver value but, im never going to set foot in that place ever again. am i over reacting?

Yes... perhaps you forgot to consider that the guy runs a business with costs of actually holding a storefront and offering the services of buying undesirable 40% silver coinage for a price that would only help to keep his lights on. If the guy had no respect for you then he would have offered face value. If you wanted to get the best prices for your 40%, then why did you go to a shop when you know that RC has a great (and free) marketplace?
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby Market Harmony » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:46 am

97guns wrote:just wondering what dealers are paying

At the coin show today, my bid was $19.40 and ask was $20.50 (.02 over spot). One other dealer was higher than me at $19.50. Coin show are the best place to sell and buy... all the dealers are fighting for your business. Walk into a coin shop and the only guy you deal with is the proprietor. Unless there is another coin shop across the street, then your stuck with his offer.

Go to a coin show and you'll learn so much more through the experience than what you can learn on a forum.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Postby misteroman » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:51 am

how do you do that at a coin show? bid and ask I mean. Do you have a table set up and the prices listed there or do you go to the dealers and tell them what you're paying?
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Market Harmony » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:19 pm

misteroman wrote:how do you do that at a coin show? bid and ask I mean. Do you have a table set up and the prices listed there or do you go to the dealers and tell them what you're paying?

I pay for a bourse table and then transact any way that I want... some shows allow large signage, but others discourage it because of security. A small sign is allowable and you can put whatever you want on it. I simply have a sign that says, "buying, selling, and trading coins and bullion" When somebody says that they have something for sale, whether it is a numismatic piece or bullion (coin or bar), then I first ask them what they are asking for it. If they are at my price or better, then I buy. Otherwise, it's time to negotiate.

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Postby misteroman » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:40 pm

cool. thanks for explaining that mike
misteroman

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:31 pm

97guns wrote:just wondering what dealers are paying

I don't have a clue. I have been a buyer, and never a seller, for 46 years. ;)
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:51 pm

I don't know any dealers around here, there is not even a proper coin shop. When I sell stuff it is usually on fee-bay as the prices people are willing to pay usually cover the fees. I might try to use this forum more for selling stuff as I know there are some silver starved jackals lurking about. :)
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby bgretz1989 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:39 pm

my area is offering 18.8x for 90% yet they then turn and sell it for 24x face
bgretz1989
Penny Collector Member

Postby Corsair » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:51 pm

Market Harmony wrote:
Nokozan wrote:i recently walked into a local coin store to sell my 40% half's. the guy offered me 2.25 Each :o . i honestly was a little surprised i dont understand coin dealer relationships and stuff but i felt just that low ball of an offer meant to me he has no respect for me whatsoever. maybe i looked a kid that swiped my dads coin collection to sell and he thought i had no idea about silver value but, im never going to set foot in that place ever again. am i over reacting?

Yes... perhaps you forgot to consider that the guy runs a business with costs of actually holding a storefront and offering the services of buying undesirable 40% silver coinage for a price that would only help to keep his lights on. If the guy had no respect for you then he would have offered face value. If you wanted to get the best prices for your 40%, then why did you go to a shop when you know that RC has a great (and free) marketplace?

I don't think you overreacted at all. The guy may have costs of running a business, but his business model is pretty crappy. Lowball young sellers in hopes they don't know what they have? And since when is 40% silver undesirable? I think if he bought silver clad at $2.25 per with silver at this spot, he would do much more than just keep his lights on, Michael.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:09 pm

Corsair wrote:
Market Harmony wrote:

I don't think you overreacted at all. The guy may have costs of running a business, but his business model is pretty crappy. Lowball young sellers in hopes they don't know what they have? And since when is 40% silver undesirable? I think if he bought silver clad at $2.25 per with silver at this spot, he would do much more than just keep his lights on, Michael.

Sorry Corsair,

Michael is spot on here. Retail is brutal. With a brick and mortar operation you need to do double key, minimum.

Wal-mart can work with puny margins, they're moving billions.

2.25 is an economic reality for a product that will sell for 4.50.

Don't be insulted when someone offers this price at a coin shop.

A smart business man would hand the dealer a card and leave a standing offer to buy at 3.25 for all he can get.

don't be insulted when this stuff happens be smart and ask yourself, "How do I make this work for me?"
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby sdmarasso » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:41 pm

I buy from a jewelry/coin pawn shop. They pay me .50 cents under what the current value is. Not .50 cents under spot. So if after figuring up the value if the coin is worth say $4.25 they are paying $3.75 each. These guys are super fair for a shop. It is by far the best price I have ever gotten from a shop. Most of the jack asses in my city will give you anywhere from 50% of spot to 75% of spot. I will usually sell to the shop that gives me .50 cents under or I will sell on ebay or craigslist. I prefer CL to get away from the ebay fees which have gotten ridiculous.
sdmarasso

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals