Science discovers bacteria that poops gold.

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Science discovers bacteria that poops gold.

Postby cesariojpn » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:36 am

cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Science discovers bacteria that poops gold.

Postby Engineer » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:20 am

Kashefi and Brown are the ones who have created this compact laboratory that uses the bacteria Cupriavidus metallidurans to turn gold chlroride—a toxic chemical liquid you can find in nature—into 99.9% pure gold.

From what I've read, gold chloride is a PITA to process, so this could be a huge benefit to the refining industry.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby rexmerdinus » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:21 am

My first thought was that this bacteria was lab-created instead of discovered in nature, but from a quick read that seems not to be the case. Ironic how going back to nature may increase technology in an area.

I'm also thinking this opens up possibilities for nanotechnology. If you can find a way to deposit the bacteria, or possibly just their food, onto a super small circuit board in a predictable and controlloable manner, it makes expensive and sensitive industrial processes obsolete. Also, in kind of a science fiction vein, I wonder if anyone has thought of splicing genes from that bacterium into human DNA to produce a REAL "Midas Touch." My dad always said there was a lot of money in sh**!
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby Sterling Silver » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:26 am

I'm sure the MSM will report it is only found in Obama's colon.
"I can tell your fancy, I can tell your plain.
You give something up for everything you gain.
Since every pleasures' got an edge of pain,
Pay for your ticket and don't complain." Bob Dylan
Sterling Silver
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:41 am

A few years back, I read how scientists were hunting for the bacteria. They kept finding gold in sea beds with a molecular structure suggesting it was germ poop. Now they did!

Remember the story about the goose that lays the golden eggs? Well, it turns out it's a germ, not a goose!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby OtusLotus » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:39 pm

I can only imagine if my "Gold-en Retriever" or my "Goldfish" could do the same thing! :lol:
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ScottyTX » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:25 pm

OtusLotus wrote:I can only imagine if my "Gold-en Retriever" or my "Goldfish" could do the same thing! :lol:

I'm sure you could get the dog to Shyt gold out just might not be what you were thinking ;) It's all about what you feed them :D
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby madman326 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:19 pm

i dont know about anyone else, but my poop does not stink..... :lol:
madman326
Penny Collector Member

Postby chant1970 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:40 am

Arthur C. Clarke in his book Imperial Earth mentions engineered coral reefs made of gold. It’s not a big part of the story and he doesn’t go into detail. It was published in 1976.

I thank today the idea of polyps modified to “harvest” gold from seawater and building their exoskeletons out of gold instead of calcium is not so farfetched.

Chant
chant1970

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals