$21 Silver Coming Soon to Theaters Near You

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: $21 Silver Coming Soon to Theaters Near You

Postby beauanderos » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:10 pm

You should never attempt to profit from your core position. ImageOnly if it is large enough (can you sleep comfortably at night, regardless of the size of ups and downs?) should you consider using maybe ten percent to try and time the dips. ImageBut why not do this instead? Rather than dollar cost averaging with all your available cash, sit on twenty percent of your investible funds each month... until that dip appears that you think will show? Then back up the truck, repeat the process. ImageIf you try and time the market it would be just your luck to liquidate at 15x face (as I see a few members doing) and then watch despairingly Imageas the price exceeds 16x, 17x, 20x... all the while they're waiting to buy back in Image on "a dip that never comes"(no, not a virgin geek)Image. Read the mission statement for precious metals investors, and then think twice about trying to outguess the trend. Image
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby fb101 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:10 pm

Two words.

Still Buying.

If HCBTT can buy and not cause the price to plummet, I can too......

(Famous last words)

Anyone know if a 1950 1 peso coin is silver?
fb101

Postby SteelCityCopper » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:29 pm

In the end, its all a guessing game... The market, whether darker times will come or the economy recovers, what's the best mix of PMs to own and how much, and whether people will really care about PMs if the bottom falls out (meaning the worth of shiny metal vs guns/water/food)... At least initially. The dollar won't mean jack for that matter either. I don't think there's a good answer as everyone's situation is different. I'm interested in hearing the strategies folks have as we have some smart members here.
Jason
- JPM doesn't determine our prices, the market does -
Steel City Copper
http://www.steelcitycopper.com
SteelCityCopper
Penny Pincher Member

Postby dougefresh » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:31 pm

Hi all. I didn't want to start a new thread so I will tag onto this one.

I went to a coin and collectorama show today in Lakeland, FL., I asked one of the dealers to sell me everything he could if I was paying $20 for Morgans and $19 for Peace. It was Sunday, and hour or two before he wanted to pack up and go home. He dragged out everything he would get rid of at that price. I ended up getting 24 silver dollars from him. I also bought a few Mercury dimes from a local dealer. I probably overpaid just a little but I am trying to complete my Whitman folder.

All in all, a good day.
dougefresh
Penny Sorter Member

Postby beauanderos » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:36 pm

You did well on those silver dollars. A few months from now you'll be wishing he'd sold you alot more. It's funny... the whole time I've been buying (seven years) it's always seemed like each time I paid just a little bit too much (except for the rare good deal), yet a few months later (or six months to a year) I think "dang, wish I coulda bought more!"
beauanderos

Postby dougefresh » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:40 pm

beauanderos wrote:You did well on those silver dollars. A few months from now you'll be wishing he'd sold you alot more. It's funny... the whole time I've been buying (seven years) it's always seemed like each time I paid just a little bit too much (except for the rare good deal), yet a few months later (or six months to a year) I think "dang, wish I coulda bought more!"

Exactly. As he was looking to see what he would let go of, he asked if I was really serious about this. I showed him my little wad of 20s, and then he kept looking, (he,he). As we say in my particular faith group, Money talks, and b_ _ _s_ _ _ walks.
dougefresh
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:31 pm

Yeah I guess PMs are one of the few things that I buy and have "buyer’s remorse" that I didn't buy more.......well besides chicken nuggets
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:33 pm

I know how you feel.

Are you enjoying your peace dollars? I know I used to.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby beauanderos » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:24 pm

Thogey wrote:I know how you feel.

Go buy some chicken nuggets. You won't feel better, but at least you can stuff your cheeks until you can think of something intelligent to say Image
beauanderos

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:40 pm

That I am, Thanks!

They are part of my Last to go stock. So I will have them for a good while. ;)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:24 pm

beauanderos wrote:

Go buy some chicken nuggets. You won't feel better, but at least you can stuff your cheeks until you can think of something intelligent to say Image

I'm getting in my car right now.

By Monday morning I'll be at your house and sober enough to bitch smack your old ass.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby slickeast » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:06 am

I sold some dimes at 14.5X but I bought some Peace Dollars at $16 each.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby slickeast » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:58 am

Look at what we were discussing 2 years ago.

I wonder if Doc has increased his chicken nugget purchases?
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby blackrabbit » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:06 am

Wow! It seems like a long time ago. I am glad I started buying before this insanely high price of 21 dollars. What a ride! :mrgreen:
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby twentybux » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:14 am

Yeah, I remember originally reading this thread and thinking how to come up with some dry powder ready for the drop into the low teens. ;)
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby scyther » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:16 am

When I saw the title of this thread, I was concerned...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby slvrbck » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:32 pm

Ohhh the good ol' days
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby mongo » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:49 pm

I was talking to a guy at a coin shop and I made the comment that I wish I would have bought alot of silver 10 years ago. And he replied and said yeah and 10 years from now you will be wishing you would have bought more now. Very simple wisdom but I thought yep just keep buying when I can.

Sort On and Keep stacking

Mongo
mongo
Penny Sorter Member

Postby wheeler_dealer » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:07 am

I visited my LCS this past Saturday after leaving an auction where 1964 JFK's were commanding $21.00 each (Yeah I know) Lady in front of me says I sell them on E bay for $23. Yes You can imagine I offered here a bag full at a deep discount to $23. She declined "Hello didn't she just bid $20. each." Anyway back to LCS where I have been a Faithful Customer since the late 1990's. He had JFK's at $12.50 each. We reminisced about the days I bought silver daily at $5.00 per oz and passed on $300.00 gold.

Oh to go back to the 1990's. All I can say is silver in the vault is better than paper in the pocket.

Yes MONGO stack on!!!!!!!!
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals