Question about silver markings on antique dinnerware

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Question about silver markings on antique dinnerware

Postby Sheba » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:59 pm

Hi all,

I just ran across some antique (old) pieces of dinnerware in a box stored from either my late mother's items or my late mother's in law items. A few are clearly marked "silver plate" so I realize there is no silver value there, sterling or otherwise.

But several pieces (gravy ladle, etc) are fairly heavy and do not say 'silver plate' stamped anywhere. However they are tarnished the way one would expect silver or silver plate to tarnish. Stamped into handles along with the name of the producer (such as 'Rogers, etc) are the initials "I S". Can someone tell me what those intials mean? Are they just another way of designating silver plate, or do they designate some amount of real silver, sterling or otherwise in the dinner ware?

Thanks for any help anyone can be in answering this questions. I have several pieces so marked. Also have a 'bunch' of 'old' ("antique") dinnerware pieces (not in a set however. These particular peices are clearly marked 'silver plate'. Is there any 'antique market' for such things or are they best headed to 'Goodwill', etc.? Thanks again!

sheba
Sheba

Now let's see ... where is that blasted cat! I'm hungry. woof, whine, drool, sniff ... 'here kitty, kitty, kitty, nice kitty. Where are you little kitty?
Sheba
Penny Collector Member

Re: Question about silver markings on antique dinnerware

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:24 pm

I would assume this is

"International Silver"

Most likely silverplate.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Sheba » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:01 am

Thanks OneBiteataTime! That is the same answer I got from others on another forum too. <sigh> ... maybe next time it will be the real stuff. :(

Goodwill here we come! :lol:
Sheba

Now let's see ... where is that blasted cat! I'm hungry. woof, whine, drool, sniff ... 'here kitty, kitty, kitty, nice kitty. Where are you little kitty?
Sheba
Penny Collector Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:38 am

Sheba wrote:Thanks OneBiteataTime! That is the same answer I got from others on another forum too. <sigh> ... maybe next time it will be the real stuff. :(

Goodwill here we come! :lol:

Stack it up. My local scrapyard buys it as brass. :P
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby fasTT » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:41 am

Anything Rogers is silver plated.

Anything IS is silverplated, unless it also says "International Sterling" on it.
fasTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby joemac » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:20 am

I think you might also see A1, which to my knowledge is the quality of the plate.
joemac
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Robarons » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:56 pm

Flatware is very easy:
Sterling
Ster.
Coin (90% American, sometimes unmarked)
.925 or 925/1000
800 or 800/1000
Foreign Silver Marks- Rampant Lion, heads of Monarchs, '84' and a head for Russian, Usually offical silver markings given by Govt or Assay offices
****Foreign Silver mark items are hardest to find and many companies created their own marks to make it look like silver assay marks but their not so be very careful!

Thats the flatware markings that show silver- thats it pretty much world wide. Extremely hard to find unmarked silver as well, outside of coin silver American spoons.
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:38 pm

Its been posted elsewhere onsite, but here is a nice reference for silver marks:

http://www.925-1000.com/
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals