Attempted to buy lunch with silver

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Attempted to buy lunch with silver

Postby mrrosado » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:13 pm

Well just for fun I tried to pay for part of my lunch with a gram of pure silver. The manager at the store looked at the little gram of silver very closely then said that he was sorry but he could not accept it. I guess most people don't know the value of precious metals? I was happy he didn't take my gram of silver.
I like collecting Gold and Silver. I prefer the Silver stuff. God Bless You.

My website: http://www.fatherrosado.com
follow me on Twitter:https://twitter.com/FatherRosadoNY
mrrosado
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Attempted to buy lunch with silver

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:35 pm

If your lunch cost more then $1.04 then I don't blame him! Try a gram of gold next time?
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby goodcents » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:33 pm

:-) Start paying in clad silver dollars. Can they deny you then?
goodcents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:47 pm

A decent lunch is worth a 90% quarter, or you could probably get a cheap lunch for a dime.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:54 pm

I don't think it can be done! :P

Silver Nic $1.82
Dime $2.34
40% half $4.79
Quarter $5.85
40% dollar $10.24
1/2 $11.71
Dollar $25.05
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby mrrosado » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:50 pm

I showed them one of these http://shop.americancertifiedbullion.co ... 000056.htm I got it at the $4.05 price. I offered it as partial payment. The guy still said no. I just wanted to see if people would actually take silver. I was happy he said no.
I like collecting Gold and Silver. I prefer the Silver stuff. God Bless You.

My website: http://www.fatherrosado.com
follow me on Twitter:https://twitter.com/FatherRosadoNY
mrrosado
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Robarons » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:44 pm

I have seen a place offer a Cheeseburger, fries, and drink at a decent restaurant for .50 face

When 90% was 20x I saw a gas station sell gas for .20 Face/gallon.
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby Z00 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:59 pm

You paid 4.05 for them?
Better off going with the cards from Shire Silver for 1.90
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby schockergd » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:06 pm

I wouldn't accept it either if I was him :D You got jipped.

I've done business plenty of times in trade for silver. It was always based on spot at the time of business.
schockergd
Penny Pincher Member

Postby daviscfad » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:10 pm

Any business has the right to refuse any type of payment, I do believe
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Catfish4u » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:58 pm

FatherRosado wrote:Well just for fun I tried to pay for part of my lunch with a gram of pure silver. The manager at the store looked at the little gram of silver very closely then said that he was sorry but he could not accept it. I guess most people don't know the value of precious metals? I was happy he didn't take my gram of silver.

How much would you be willing to pay or trade for Morgan silver coins? They do say one dollar and have a date of 1921? I have not said they are or are not 90% silver.
Catfish4u
Penny Pincher Member

Postby henrysmedford » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:35 am

From an old post. Just down the road from us last year you could by gas with junk silver.

From the town down the road from me.-- From URL http://www.blog.providentmetals.com/protecting-your-wealth/oregon-gas-station-accepting-90-junk-silver-as-payment.htm

They run this time to time.

Oregon Gas Station Accepting 90% Junk Silver as Payment

Much of the recent interest in precious metals like gold and silver stems from the effects of price inflation.

Many people who buy coins like pre-’65 dimes, quarters and half dollars do so to protect themselves from the effects of this inflation – and to have a highly valuable medium of exchange in the event price inflation spirals out of control.

One sign pointing to this phenomenon was recently spotted at a Shell gas station off Interstate 5 in Ashland, Oregon.

There, motorists are greeted with a sign behind the front counter (shown above).

Wow, 20 cent gas!!

Those were the days…most of us alive have never seen anything like that. The lowest I remember is around $0.80 per gallon (regular cash, or Federal Reserve Notes). Today, gas prices are once again broaching records with many motorists now paying over $4.00 per gallon.

One of the factors driving record gas prices is a weak dollar and price inflation. But a burning question remains.

Is it wise to use my stash of pre-’65 dimes, quarters and half dollars to buy gas and groceries?

It may at some point but according to Michael Rozeff, not right now.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Kurr » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:14 am

Just my .o2 here.

I was told some years back not to ever buy consumables with a credit card. You eat the meal, burn the gas etc, then next month the bill comes in, and you have long ago used up what you bought. Then you not only have to pay for what you used, but you have to buy more for your current needs as well, either double spending or taking on more debt.

I personaly apply this philosophy of thought to PMs. I do not mind trading PMs for other things I need, but do not wish to trade a hard asset for a consumable, such as food. What do I have when I use that food once, or burn that gas? An epty stomach that needs refilled, an empty tank after the trip, and a void in my pocket where my silver used to be.

I personaly would rather trade for a durable good, such as a tool that I can use over and over to make more cash to buy PMs with or a product to trade for them, perhaps a raw material that I can convert into something that would multiply it's value and then I could trade, etc etc.

Again, just my $0.o2
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr

Postby sheepdog_tx » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:41 am

FatherRosado wrote:I showed them one of these http://shop.americancertifiedbullion.co ... 000056.htm I got it at the $4.05 price. I offered it as partial payment. The guy still said no. I just wanted to see if people would actually take silver. I was happy he said no.

Usually places not dealing in assets that hold value won't take it. However Ive seen gun shops, private gas stations, mechanic shops, and liquer stores eagerly take silver (both 90% and .999 bullion) as payment. Many of these individuals buy themselves and they are getting it without the delaer middleman cost.
sheepdog_tx

Postby PolishPunisher » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:21 pm

I don't see how it matters whether you buy something with silver or FRN as long as you were going to make the purchase anyway. The end result is the same, assuming a both the silver and FRN markets are liquid. It seemed to me that most places offering silver pricing were quite expensive. Two silver dimes for a gallon of gas would be quite expensive here in Kansas City.
PolishPunisher
Penny Pincher Member

Postby silver » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:15 pm

Using credit cards for consumables is totally acceptable only if you pay it off at the end of the month. This is the practice I use and it hasn't failed me yet. You have to use discipline and don't buy but what you need. I get cash back using them.
Just my 2 cents worth.
ED
silver
Penny Collector Member

Postby bgretz1989 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:21 pm

silver wrote:Using credit cards for consumables is totally acceptable only if you pay it off at the end of the month. This is the practice I use and it hasn't failed me yet. You have to use discipline and don't buy but what you need. I get cash back using them.
Just my 2 cents worth.
ED

I am the same way. Everything I purchase is via credit. 5% cash back on what I plan on paying for just makes sense to me. As long as your not building debt by paying it all off your making money.
bgretz1989
Penny Collector Member

Postby uthminsta » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:55 pm

silver wrote:Using credit cards for consumables is totally acceptable only if you pay it off at the end of the month. This is the practice I use and it hasn't failed me yet. You have to use discipline and don't buy but what you need. I get cash back using them.
Just my 2 cents worth. ED

bgretz1989 wrote:I am the same way. Everything I purchase is via credit. 5% cash back on what I plan on paying for just makes sense to me. As long as your not building debt by paying it all off your making money.

That approach only works if you exercise discipline. Glad you guys do. But most consumers can't... or WON'T... do that. :roll: Many many MANY people use credit cards with the intention of paying it all off later. It's a dangerous practice without real discipline, and real discipline means the willingness to sacrifice some of your desires if something unexpected comes up.
uthminsta

Postby silver » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:50 pm

Well said. :thumbup: Those people that display no discipline are the ones who will be crying when TSHTF. They will be the ones who resort to stealing and mooching off the prepared. I have very little sympathy for those who do not care about thier future well-being or thier families.
'nuff said.
ED
silver
Penny Collector Member

Postby bgretz1989 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:53 pm

My view o when SHTF is just to make sure you have more firepower than your neighbor. When your neighbor runs out of food they are going to be the first one "dropping by"
bgretz1989
Penny Collector Member

Postby barrytrot » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:57 pm

Kurr wrote:Just my .o2 here.

I was told some years back not to ever buy consumables with a credit card. You eat the meal, burn the gas etc, then next month the bill comes in, and you have long ago used up what you bought. Then you not only have to pay for what you used, but you have to buy more for your current needs as well, either double spending or taking on more debt.

I personaly apply this philosophy of thought to PMs. I do not mind trading PMs for other things I need, but do not wish to trade a hard asset for a consumable, such as food. What do I have when I use that food once, or burn that gas? An epty stomach that needs refilled, an empty tank after the trip, and a void in my pocket where my silver used to be.

I personaly would rather trade for a durable good, such as a tool that I can use over and over to make more cash to buy PMs with or a product to trade for them, perhaps a raw material that I can convert into something that would multiply it's value and then I could trade, etc etc.

Again, just my $0.o2

That's a great philosophy.

One I don't abide by much to my wife's chagrin :)

Like most things I think you have to take it with a grain of salt. I eat out a lot and carrying cash to all of those would be:
a) a lot more dangerous
b) cumbersome
c) impractical

We pay off our credit card every month, but we do use it WILDLY. Obviously if you are using a CC and not paying it off you have some severe interest coming your way (baring limited time deals). And that can never be good.
barrytrot

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals