improperly cleaned

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

improperly cleaned

Postby scrapper2010 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:10 pm

Can anyone give me a rundown on what clues I should look for to tell if a silver coin has been improperly cleaned. I'm un-knowledgable when it comes to silver, but I've recently got the itch to buy an old Morgan or Peace dollar. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: improperly cleaned

Postby Market Harmony » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:17 pm

Find a dealer that you trust and tell them what you are looking for. Coins that are professionally graded by PCGS & NGC are highly respected and will not have been cleaned unless marked as "genuine" or "details"

I have plenty of old Dollars. If you tell me what you are looking for, then I can see what kind of deal we can work out.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby fasteddy » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:55 pm

probably easier to just deal with MH until you are knowledgable about the subject...it does take some study (ok, alot) and time to learn what you are doing....books and maybe a friendly shop owner around the corner can help...how I learned(limited though) only because I was young and she was darn cute.... :)
I think the best advise is certainly accurate here concerning this subject ..."if it is to good to be true, then it was countfeited in China"

any 1893CC's laying around? ;)
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Rexor » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:02 pm

My experience has been to presume cleaned, especially on Ebay, unless you are buying from someone you trust or slabbed. If you are just buying them in circulated grades at a small premium to melt then it probably doesn't matter. And yes, as someone posted above, fakes abound. I just got this from NGC today http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle ... cleID=1000
Rexor

Postby misteroman » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:39 am

thats why ya buy worn 90% lol. and give eddy the CC's i'll take a nice 93-s!
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby scrapper2010 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:44 am

Thanks for the advice. I've mainly been looking on feebay. A few of them that I've seen have a darkness in the grooves of the coin but the raised surfaces of the coin appear extremely clean. That made me suspicious. I find myself liking the looks of the dirty ones better anyways.
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fasteddy » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:44 am

there are even counterfeited slabbed coins on Feebay....if you are making a sizable purchase do it in person but get some knowledge first so you dont spend too much for lesser quality...
misteroman wrote:give eddy the CC's
thats great I will complete my CC collection much faster thanks guys and gals. ;) I just love this forum ya'll are great! :D
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals