Bad dime dump

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Bad dime dump

Postby Engineer » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:17 am

I dropped off three bags of dimes at the bank today, and midway through the run their counter (jetsort 6000) shut down with the message "clean sensor". The teller told her trainee it meant he was feeding the dimes too fast, and they never cleaned the sensor.

At the end of the run, I was short $174.50. :thumbdown:
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Bad dime dump

Postby Numis Pam » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:36 am

Dang!! I am assuming you Demanded a ReCount??? :shock:
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:00 am

Numis Pam wrote:Dang!! I am assuming you Demanded a ReCount??? :shock:

It's my main dump bank, and the manager is in charge of the smaller branches where I like to dump after hours...so I have to tread carefully. The teller said none of the dimes were counted as pennies, so at least that's ruled out.

I may stop by with a scale tomorrow, and ask them to re-run the bags if the weight is off.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Robarons » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:00 am

WHOA! To be off that much requires some explanation- I would have asked to see a manager or some kind of recount showing records before you did your dump. Some where they can figure they have $175 dimes too many!

That would be premise to close my account if that occurred!
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby tedandcam » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:34 am

Ask the manager if you can purchase the bag(s). Tell her you honestly believe there has been an error in the machine counts and this would resolve it in the easiest manner. If they don't sell the bags to customers , ask for an exception in this instance. I'd buy all the bags just to be sure none went to penny bag and maybe come out ahead on other bags if it was happening to others that were clueless as to how much coin they were putting in.
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:38 am

machines are machines... where you loose on some you make up on others. Most tellers I deal with are smart enough to know if I bring in all dimes and they can see that they are all dimes when dumping and they see pennies on the total they will convert those to dimes. Happens all of the time at one of my banks and that is with halves. They turn up as nickels but I get the correct credit. You might have to just train them a little. But I do understand that you have to tread carefully..
Got an "under weight" bag of halves that was 50 bucks short. Weird because I have never seen a bag marked "under weight".
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby knibloe » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:57 am

I don't do many dimes, but when I do, I drop the whole bag off at the bank. I figure that the counter at Loomis is going to be more accurate than the one at the local branch.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:15 am

Jetsorts are known for sorting dimes into the penny bags. I would have asked to look into the penny bags! Jetsorts are the fastest machine out there, but when their $1500 machined head starts going bad it misorts like crazy. I would NEVER do a dump of dimes into a jetsort.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby chris6084 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:40 am

I never dump dimes into counters anymore. I seemed to get shorted on the counts every time. I always re-roll. If I get the dimes in plastic rolls, I don't even open them. I edge sort then return.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:29 am

chris6084 wrote:I never dump dimes into counters anymore. I seemed to get shorted on the counts every time. I always re-roll. If I get the dimes in plastic rolls, I don't even open them. I edge sort then return.

Yep.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby creshka46 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:21 am

Yeah, This is why I stopped doing dimes too. But I was never shorted THAT much :o ! I stick with pennies and nickels now because rounding errors are pretty much only in my favor. I get dimes/nickels in my penny bags and quarters/dimes in my nickel bags, and when I return, my some pennies get counted as dimes, and some nickels get counted as quarters. I actually had 15 nickels get counted as halves just the other day so that was an extra $6.75! :D
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:07 pm

I went in with a scale today, and while they swore up and down that their counter was never off, I asked the head teller to humor me just this one time by weighing them.

They came back with an overweight bag, re-ran it, and found an extra $173. :thumbup:

I think I'll take the advice of the experts here, and start dumping at places that accept coin by the bag.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:24 pm

I assume that you got your money back?
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:00 pm

knibloe wrote:I assume that you got your money back?

Almost all of it. I was still short $1.30, but I can live with that.

The good part is the head teller realized that I wasn't trying to cheat them. If none of those bags had been high, I would have lost a LOT of credibility by pushing the issue.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:27 pm

That's a major faux pas for a bank - they should have been apologizing all over themselves.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby uthminsta » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:27 pm

"And sir, would you like a complimentary backpack with the bank logo on it? Plus this coffee mug... and a calendar, and... here's Vicky's nameplate."
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Engineer » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:50 pm

uthminsta wrote:"And sir, would you like a complimentary backpack with the bank logo on it? Plus this coffee mug... and a calendar, and... here's Vicky's nameplate."

I got a cup of lukewarm coffee...
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby JerrySpringer » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:13 pm

Engineer wrote:
knibloe wrote:I assume that you got your money back?

Almost all of it. I was still short $1.30, but I can live with that.

The good part is the head teller realized that I wasn't trying to cheat them. If none of those bags had been high, I would have lost a LOT of credibility by pushing the issue.

I went through this hassle with TD Bank about 2 years ago. The tellers were smug about me being shorted $130 odd dollars at the time. They said when the bags get sent off and counted they will compare to the receipts the machine compiled and credit me the difference. Luckily it worked out that I got back my money but TD Bank was too cold about how I felt I was gonna be cheated. After that, I have no empathy for banks and whether they make no money off of me as an account holder. I watch the coin count console like hawk now when they change the bags to see how much I already dumped in case the teller screws up the bag changing and erases the coin tally on my session.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:24 pm

Maybe they will give you free coin counting for life. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals