Refusing delivery for suspect packages

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Refusing delivery for suspect packages

Postby brian0918 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:16 am

I had a thought - I know for UPS you can refuse delivery on packages. Can you do the same for USPS?

If so, for large purchases, it might be a good idea to weigh the package before even opening it, to confirm that the weight is at least in the ballpark. If the weight is drastically lower, you could then refuse delivery and avoid scammers who try to send you an empty package to spoof the tracking.

Would that work? What do you think? If you did the transaction through Paypal, would they consider it an undelivered package and allow you to be refunded?
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Refusing delivery for suspect packages

Postby AGgressive Metal » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:59 pm

Some people video tape the opening of valuable packages, just a thought. I don't know the answer to your question.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby johnbrickner » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:56 am

I've sent certified 1st class mail and had it refused.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Rob72830 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:54 am

@Brian, not sure why you would want to refuse delivery of an item you bought but you could. When the letter carrier leaves the notification in your mail box that you have a package to be picked up at the post office go there and before you sign get the clerk to weigh it for you. Should tell you if it is underweight or not. You could then refuse it but for Paypal or credit card I think you have to accept then file a dispute. I don't think you can refuse delivery and file a dispute. Hope that helps you. Robert
Rob72830
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals