Swapped Some Apmex Rounds For Silver Quarters

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Swapped Some Apmex Rounds For Silver Quarters

Postby Quagmire » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:11 am

I had some nasty apmex rounds of which about 20% of the lot was underweight by as much as 0.6g that's 6 decigrams and exchanged for silver quarters because the guy only had a few halves, not enough to cover the rounds.

So my question is what do you guys think of silver quarters versus halves? Personally I prefer the halves.

Also the guy paid me a dollar under spot for the rounds but I did not mind because he sold me the junk at .20 under spot.

The apmex rounds were the silver trade unit variety. Based on their ugly soapy appearance and underweight status and completely failing the ring test I wasn't sure they aren't lead.
Quagmire
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Swapped Some Apmex Rounds For Silver Quarters

Postby Nickelless » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:12 am

Are the APMEX rounds that inferior or did you just have a mutant batch of them? I'd looked at buying some of their bullion pieces, and this is the first I've heard about any of them being poor-quality.
Nickelless
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Quagmire » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:44 am

At least 20 of them were underweight and none of them made the good ringing sound. I just could not sleep soundly with them.
Quagmire
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Nickelless » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:05 am

Did you buy them directly from APMEX or from a third party?
Nickelless

Postby Quagmire » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:17 am

I believe I obtained them from Apmex but I might be wrong as well. If they did not come from apmex they came from ebay.
Quagmire
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Nickelless » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:27 am

I'd be surprised if a company as big as APMEX put out bad rounds for very long--otherwise you think they'd go out of business. Did you take any pics of them before you sold them?
Nickelless

Postby natsb88 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:54 am

Nothing wrong with the APMEX silver I have...

Have you calibrated your scale recently?
natsb88

Postby Quagmire » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:15 pm

Nickelless wrote:I'd be surprised if a company as big as APMEX put out bad rounds for very long--otherwise you think they'd go out of business. Did you take any pics of them before you sold them?

Sadly no. They are the silver trade unit variety with the scales on one side and the apmex logo on the other.
Quagmire
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Quagmire » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:19 pm

natsb88 wrote:Nothing wrong with the APMEX silver I have...

Have you calibrated your scale recently?

My scale reports the weights of various Franklin halves as between 12.5 and 12.3 grams. I am fairly sure it is an accurate scale.
Quagmire
Penny Sorter Member

Postby blatant » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:34 pm

nothing wrong with quarters, actually, all things considered, if you can get them in good shape go for them over the halves. Halves almost always are in better condition than quarters, so if you can get quarters that are at least sharp edged, you'll be in a great spot to sell them privately, since they are considerably more rare, imo than halves. I'd trade my halves all day for good quarters. 2 quarters = 1 half. 4 quarters or 2 halves does not equal a dollar.
blatant

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals