Junk Silver Vs Generic Silver Bullion

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Junk Silver Vs Generic Silver Bullion

Postby Klark Cent » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:17 pm

68Camaro wrote:ASEs usually go for $2-4 over spot. Maples usually on lower end of that. Libertads at upper end of that. Quantity usually takes something off those prices.

I consider high quality cicrculated 90% at spot and ASEs at $2.75 over to be about equivalent value.

Thank you, sir.
Klark Cent
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:21 am

I think I answered your question, but keep in mind that spot is based on price of paper silver, and at various points in the past (and many, includiing myself, believe we'll see this again) the spot price has disconnected from the price of physical, and the price of real in-hand physical will carry a premium over spot.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby BooBoo1000 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:15 pm

Hey Padre, that post by 68 Camaro deserves a lot of attention and thought. I think he is correct. I like either ASE or Whizzers and sliders. But limit myself to all American coins. I cannot see paying the high premium foreign coins.Nice to hear from you, and good luck on your endevor.
BooBoo1000

Postby Klark Cent » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:32 am

i'm curious: what is it about libertads that cause them command a higher premium than mapleleafs?

thx
Klark Cent
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:46 am

Klark Cent wrote:i'm curious: what is it about libertads that cause them command a higher premium than mapleleafs?

thx

AFAIK, just that there are fewer of them made (so far).
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby beauanderos » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:46 pm

68Camaro wrote:
Klark Cent wrote:i'm curious: what is it about libertads that cause them command a higher premium than mapleleafs?

thx

and I'll get some haters with this reply... but I think they're much lovelier coins than the Maples :shifty:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby db23 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:50 pm

beauanderos wrote:
68Camaro wrote:

thx

and I'll get some haters with this reply... but I think they're much lovelier coins than the Maples :shifty:

No doubt that the Libs are much nicer coins than Maples. On top of the far lower mintage, I've also never seen a Libertad with milk spots. It's also pretty cool to be able to get all the different sizes.
db23
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:30 pm

I like them both. I love the maple leaf design - I'm just not so keen on the old queen on the other side. If they had used instead the princess image that was on the 53 cent, that would have been much nicer. :)
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:32 pm

And it's not apples to apples, but on the subject of appearance I was re-looking at the Franklin half dollar over the weekend while sorting some rolls and... you gotta admit... that is one butt-ugly dude, and coin!
68Camaro

Postby db23 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:48 pm

68Camaro wrote:And it's not apples to apples, but on the subject of appearance I was re-looking at the Franklin half dollar over the weekend while sorting some rolls and... you gotta admit... that is one butt-ugly dude, and coin!

Ugly as it may be, I always love the way that coin looks when it pops out of a roll. :lol:
db23
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby scyther » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:48 pm

I think Eagles look much nicer than maples. The queen's ugly and the maple leaf doesn't really compare to the ASE design either. I don't have any Libertads, might have to get some...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby rainsonme » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:30 am

I buy the highest quality old junk that I can find; my preference is for coins that I imagine have melt value that has just exceded the numismatic value. I only buy standing liberty quarters, pre-1935 halfs, pre-1925 dimes, any kind of barber, all with strong dates and no gross damage. In my tiny brain I like to imagine that there is a floor under their value. I only buy 90% at melt. This also helps me limit my addiction ---- I buy every week, but only this older junk in G4 or better condition ----- so I am limited to what I can buy each week by the distribution of these coins in the various shops I frequent.

I also buy per-1900 Morgans in EF condition, but I pay a couple dollars above spot for those (never over $28, though); the lower denominated junk is probably the better buy since it is purely at melt, but I just like a pretty Morgan.

I never buy .999, as I consider it to be silver better suited to those with larger brains.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:22 am

Sounds like a solid approach rainsonme. There is more than one way to do this.

(As I've noted several times before) apart from a few lots of misc other stuff, and this having nothing to do with the size of my pea brain, I have a 50/50 split by toz between North American Federal .999 and US 90%. In 90% I've focused on full weight coinage regardless of age. That tends to get me newer 90% stuff. But I've got some of the older, just not very much of it, relatively speaking.
68Camaro

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals