Pretty Cool Barber Score!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Pretty Cool Barber Score!

Postby Robarons » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:08 pm

I have always had an interest of barber coinage and try to buy them in somewhat decent condition when the dealers in my area throw them in the melt pile. Some finds I have gotten were 1909-D dime for $1 when it was 10x face and it books hear $9- good enough for me. I find these coins more interesting than a 1964 rosie even with wear.

Well today at one of my local dealers I come in to buy some 90%. Hes kinda pricey- 22x face for 90%, so I only buy a couple barbers. One caught my eye, a 1893-S Barber Half. I have learned that barbers with mintmarks tend to have some numis value so I pick it up for $11.

I get home and this sucker books at $155 in 'Good' with a low mintage. This made my day. It does have alot of wear but its still cool. He has been dealer with a storefront for 20 years and has expensive coins and must have ignored it when he put it there. It kills me when this happens- why dont they know better?

Also got a 1904-P half which was a dud- most barbers are, but this one time was the exception!
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Re: Pretty Cool Barber Score!

Postby appjoe » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:24 pm

Robarons wrote:I have always had an interest of barber coinage and try to buy them in somewhat decent condition when the dealers in my area throw them in the melt pile. Some finds I have gotten were 1909-D dime for $1 when it was 10x face and it books hear $9- good enough for me. I find these coins more interesting than a 1964 rosie even with wear.

Well today at one of my local dealers I come in to buy some 90%. Hes kinda pricey- 22x face for 90%, so I only buy a couple barbers. One caught my eye, a 1893-S Barber Half. I have learned that barbers with mintmarks tend to have some numis value so I pick it up for $11.

I get home and this sucker books at $155 in 'Good' with a low mintage. This made my day. It does have alot of wear but its still cool. He has been dealer with a storefront for 20 years and has expensive coins and must have ignored it when he put it there. It kills me when this happens- why dont they know better?

Also got a 1904-P half which was a dud- most barbers are, but this one time was the exception!

Congrats on a nice find.
I too like the Barbers and check them out also. The place where I get my 90%er's from sells Walkers and Franklins halves at $9.00 but his Barbers are $9.50 I always check them out to see if he has any that aren't worn to bad. Last week he didn't have any barber halves but he had some barber quarters for $4.50 ea. and I bought 4 real nice ones.
appjoe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby misteroman » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:39 pm

^^^^^UMMMMMM can you pick me up all he has and I'll send ya a MO or PP gift?? I'll even throw ya in a few extra bucks for your troubles
Derek
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby aloneibreak » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:52 pm

that is a heck of a deal

i enjoy barbers as well

ive been working on my barber quarter set for a few years now

i know i'll never finish it, but its fun to locate good deals on full rim coins
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby Lgsilver » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:49 pm

Well Done!
Lgsilver

Postby twentybux » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:47 pm

Nice find! Congrats!
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Roadrunner » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:40 pm

WOW appjoe that is a nice deal! Buy it up!
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby uthminsta » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:42 pm

I was thinking about putting some of my worn out Barbers on here on auction... hmmm.....
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals