Weighted sterling

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Weighted sterling

Postby bgretz1989 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:51 pm

To all the scrapers on here I am curious as to the ratio of sterling to junk in weighted items. I realize that it will differ from item to item but let's say there is a 100 gram item what do you guys think the sterling content would be? Thanks
bgretz1989
Penny Collector Member

Re: Weighted sterling

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:02 pm

How thin are the walls of your weighted Sterling? Look at it. IF there are several dents and dings on the piece, the odds are it's pretty thin stuff. Is it warped? Again, pretty thin stuff.

I don't have a scientific method. I use the SWAG method. "How low will they go on price? How bad do I want this? Is silver on the uptick again? Will silver rise in price enough to cover my stupid blunder here?"

I will have to defer to the experts on this one. :wave:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:03 pm

The easiest way to guess on the mass of the weight is to eyeball the filled area and compare that to the density of concrete. Typical concrete density is 2.3g/cc.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Diggin4copper » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:59 am

I always end up overpaying.. there is a lot of resin/concrete in them...
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:22 pm

I used 30% for a while, constantly lost. Now I pay 10% of total weight. I win or tie, rarely lose. Boy do I love smashin' em.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:18 pm

OneBiteAtATime wrote:I used 30% for a while, constantly lost. Now I pay 10% of total weight. I win or tie, rarely lose. Boy do I love smashin' em.

Couldn't agree more on all accounts. :thumbup:
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby pennyguy » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:27 am

I have been keeping track for a while .I average between 10-15 percent silver
of the total weight
pennyguy
Penny Collector Member

Postby mflugher » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:13 pm

10-15% is a good ratio to go by. Personally don't buy it unless they let me smash it first though...
mflugher
Penny Collector Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:13 pm

mflugher wrote:10-15% is a good ratio to go by. Personally don't buy it unless they let me smash it first though...

:lol: I don't think the auctioneers would go for that.... But I could ask!
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby mflugher » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:14 am

Smash it or bid 5%... Not sure I'd buy weighted at auction, unless it came in a box with something else I wanted.

Weighted is probably your most "high risk" silver buy possible next to plated which is just silly to try to buy... There are easier silver buys out there with more defined risk/reward characteristics.
mflugher
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals