Fiscal Cliff

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Fiscal Cliff

Postby eventurer » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:13 pm

Morsecode wrote:The dem governor here said this morning our current State crisis is not a "deficit"; rather a $350 million dollar "shortfall". The idiot newsreader interviewing him only nodded and let it go unchallenged.

Bring on the Looming Fecal Cliff !!! :P

Wow thats some 1984 doublespeak.... bet that reporter voted for your governor
How do you go bankrupt? First gradually, then suddenly....
http://www.usdebtclock.org/index.html
eventurer

Postby John_doe » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:47 pm

does anyone know the approx. day or week this is supposed to go down?
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:05 pm

At least 10 days after the end of the world.. so don't worry about it. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby John_doe » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:29 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:At least 10 days after the end of the world.. so don't worry about it. :mrgreen:

:lol: I guess I should have seen that coming, the mayans did 2,000 years ago.
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby sparechange » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:31 pm

The Mayans were an intelligent group, they saw the cliff coming long ago and decided to go ahead and jump then!
Always drink upstream from politicians, they tend to foul things up.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby amalekidad » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:20 pm

I fell off a horse a couple of years ago and I'm lucky to be alive. I don't want to be fall'in off any cliff. Fiscal, physical or other wise.
I'm hoping that Ag will make for a softer landing.
amalekidad
Penny Collector Member

Postby mbailey1234 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:47 am

What kind of math do those morons out in DC use anyway? Here are a couple of highlights of what they are kicking around now...

The inflation measure under consideration is called the Chained Consumer Price Index. On average, the measure shows a lower level of inflation than the more widely used Consumer Price Index because it assumes that as prices rise, consumers turn to lower-cost alternatives, reducing the amount of inflation they experience. (this is where we start eating rice instead of meat isn't it??)

On average, annual increases in Social Security payments, government pensions and veterans' benefits would be about 0.3 percentage points smaller each year. Next year's COLA is 1.7 percent. Under the new measure of inflation, it would be about 1.4 percent.
Taxes would slowly increase because annual adjustments to income tax brackets would be smaller, pushing more people into higher tax brackets. Over time, fewer people would be eligible for anti-poverty programs like Medicaid, Head Start, food stamps and school lunches because annual adjustments to the poverty level would be smaller, leaving fewer people under the official poverty line. Washington politicians clearly hope middle-class Americans simply won't notice billions of dollars in Social Security benefit cuts...

Yeah because we are just to stupid to notice I guess. :?
mbailey1234
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:45 am

mbailey1234 wrote:
Yeah because we are just to stupid to notice I guess. :?
Yes, most are!! - NHsorter (surrounded by idiots)
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:33 am

Got my rice!

Darn, only a few days before the end of the world and I don't have all my preps hoarded yet. Well if we get past Friday I have and extra 10 days before the cliff. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby mbailey1234 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:39 am

So it really looks like we are heading over the cliff. :shock: I am short the dow right now which I am not doubting but what is this going to do to PM's? Everything going to get taken down short term? :roll:

Strapped in and ready for the ride. :?
mbailey1234
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:42 am

I just had an epiphany. If the Republicans just dresses up and acted like they were Chinese, then Obama would bend right over and totally cave in on negotiations.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:49 am

Chinese or Hollywood types...yep, either would work.

I had to laugh this morning. One of the network morning shows put up a graphic showing how the agreement will affect individual tax rates. Those making $20,000 will pay $400 more (although I rather doubt it), while Beyonce' and JayZ will pay an additional $4,000,000

I guess that was Obummer's way of saying Thanks for the big fundraiser they hosted for him in October

:D
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:53 am

Ouch.

http://news.investors.com/investing-etfs/010213-639027-stock-market-spending-cuts-futures-finance.htm?src=HPLNews

The painful part found at the bottom of the article:
Gold may be rallying on the fiscal cliff deal, but the rally will be short lived as precious metals will fall to new lows, according to David Hunter, chief market strategist at KCCI, a brokerage firm in New York City.

"I believe we will see a global deflationary downturn in 2013 that will cause gold to plunge to $1,000 to $1,100 and silver to the low teens. Any near-term strength in the metals should be viewed as a selling opportunity," he wrote in an email.

Do you believe it?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:20 am

shinnosuke wrote:Ouch.

http://news.investors.com/investing-etfs/010213-639027-stock-market-spending-cuts-futures-finance.htm?src=HPLNews

The painful part found at the bottom of the article:
Gold may be rallying on the fiscal cliff deal, but the rally will be short lived as precious metals will fall to new lows, according to David Hunter, chief market strategist at KCCI, a brokerage firm in New York City.

"I believe we will see a global deflationary downturn in 2013 that will cause gold to plunge to $1,000 to $1,100 and silver to the low teens. Any near-term strength in the metals should be viewed as a selling opportunity," he wrote in an email.

Do you believe it?

There are two sides to every coin. They could plunge the country into another recession still. They are not out of the woods yet. They are more than likely going to slow the economy with a tax hike. Will people run to metals is another story. Consumer spending will drop, without a doubt.
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:25 am

There is a chance that a "deflationary spiral" could temporarily drive both silver and gold down a bit, maybe silver even down a lot. But gold down a lot? - not a chance, not even in the short term. The overseas central banks will be fighting amongst themselves to acquire it.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:00 am

68Camaro wrote:There is a chance that a "deflationary spiral" could temporarily drive both silver and gold down a bit, maybe silver even down a lot. But gold down a lot? - not a chance, not even in the short term. The overseas central banks will be fighting amongst themselves to acquire it.

68Camaro for President. Heck, skip President and just go for Grand Poobah.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:05 am

Grand Poobah and $2 will get me a starbucks coffee... ;)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals