Other than

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Other than

Postby kwebb70 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:13 am

Other than metals, what items could a person buy, physically hold and retain future value?
kwebb70
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Other than

Postby JerrySpringer » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:45 am

I googled inflation for ideas. First off, buying staple food and consumer good (toilet paper,soap,etc.) items on sale that keep for long-term storage is a very good start. Don't have to be of prepper mind to practice that. It just helps save $$ that can used to buy other things.

It is tangential to your OP, but look into how interest rates have an effect on things. We are a major low for interest rates and it is bizarre IMHO. I believe it can not go too long like that simply because the market will demand more rent to be paid on money being loaned eventually. There are no safe investments in theory as an investment can lose money from what I have seen. After a while, getting 1 or 2% on your money that is parked in supposedly safe places like bonds or a CD will not cut it. It takes a lot of principal to generate a nice income supplement with those rates. Meanwhile, inflation causes a cash burn on common items. I do not even remember what things should cost on the basic grocery shelf vs. what they cost 10 years ago. I strive to just buy less items and keep my grocery bill down. The thing is that gasoline did some price jumps the past 9 years or so and that has gotten to a dismal increased out-of-pocket expense each week that detracts from me buying other things with the money. And that is one common consumption item that I can do without. The other is coffee. I guess I find it a bargain to pay $5 now for a can of coffee when I see Starbucks 12 oz bags of coffee go for $9 :roll:
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby $nack-Money » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:51 am

ammunition, and lots of it. Specifically .223/ 5.56

Thank your Uncle Obama
$nack-Money
Penny Pincher Member

Postby mbailey1234 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:29 am

I would love to see a 30 year price on the cost of .223 rounds. :shock:
mbailey1234
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby rexmerdinus » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:47 am

Land. And Ammo. And, if I had a time machine, about a thousand AR-15 magazines just before the Sandy Hook massacre--500+% markup on Ebay and other places. Just sayin'.
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:27 pm

A large plastic barrel of black peppercorns will keep pace with inflation. No insects will bother it, and it will keep forever.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:34 pm

Is there an after market for peppercorns? Or would it just be for personal consumption?
Last edited by barrytrot on Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Engineer » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:36 pm

Enclosed trailers. I bought a used 16-footer to move with, promoted it to garden shed duty, and it's still worth a grand more than I paid for it. After another move, I may sell it.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby cesariojpn » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:30 pm

$nack-Money wrote:ammunition, and lots of it. Specifically .223/ 5.56

Thank your Aunty Feinstein

Fixed that for you.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby barrytrot » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:32 pm

Engineer wrote:Enclosed trailers. I bought a used 16-footer to move with, promoted it to garden shed duty, and it's still worth a grand more than I paid for it. After another move, I may sell it.

Hm, interesting. I would not have expected that.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby creshka46 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:43 pm

Could gasoline be stockpiled in this way? I've often thought about the idea of stocking up on gas in the winter time and using it throughout the year for personal consumption. It seems like it's always lower during the winter. The only thing is, I don't know if gas can go bad. Does anyone know? If I let a 55gal drum of gas sit for a couple years, would the gas go bad some day?
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby knibloe » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:04 pm

gas does go bad, but you can put a stabilizer in it. Diesel will go bad as well, just not as fast.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby cesariojpn » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:13 pm

creshka46 wrote:Could gasoline be stockpiled in this way? I've often thought about the idea of stocking up on gas in the winter time and using it throughout the year for personal consumption. It seems like it's always lower during the winter. The only thing is, I don't know if gas can go bad. Does anyone know? If I let a 55gal drum of gas sit for a couple years, would the gas go bad some day?

Even with stabilizers, gas is a perishable item. Plus you don't want to get into the environmental regulations and legal liability in storing a crap-load of gas on your property.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:53 pm

Medicine and medical supplies.
Good farm land.
Ammo. Lots and lots of ammo.
All parts of ammo for reloading. Take primers for .223. Good luck finding them now.
Good shoes and boots.
Wine.
Whiskey historically does very well in inflationary times. In times of panic and/or famine, it's worth it's weight in gold.
Sugar, rice, other staples.
Tobacco, maybe? It is not near as popular as it used to be.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:55 pm

creshka46 wrote:Could gasoline be stockpiled in this way? I've often thought about the idea of stocking up on gas in the winter time and using it throughout the year for personal consumption. It seems like it's always lower during the winter. The only thing is, I don't know if gas can go bad. Does anyone know? If I let a 55gal drum of gas sit for a couple years, would the gas go bad some day?

PM Engineer. He will tell you how to do it.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:11 pm

Gas goes bad when the volatile chemicals evaporate, or when moisture gets sucked in from the surrounding air. You can keep it good for quite a while in a plastic, nonvented container in a cool place with steady temperatures.

It's not much different than keeping your good booze from evaporating...keep the lid on tight, and it'll stay good for a while.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby tedandcam » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:29 pm

kwebb70 wrote:Other than metals, what items could a person buy, physically hold and retain future value?

S.W.A.G. =
Silver
Wine
Art
Gold

Old and rare to semi-rare musical instuments. Farmland within a 50 mile radius of a large metrupolitan area. All of these items will retain their future value.
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Postby creshka46 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:19 am

Engineer wrote:Gas goes bad when the volatile chemicals evaporate, or when moisture gets sucked in from the surrounding air. You can keep it good for quite a while in a plastic, nonvented container in a cool place with steady temperatures.

It's not much different than keeping your good booze from evaporating...keep the lid on tight, and it'll stay good for a while.

Good to know, thanks.
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby wagsthadog » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:13 pm

Hi all-

Dont forget bottled water and water purifiers. I bought my dad (well, all of us really) a nice water purifier for christmas- not that we use it regularly, but just to have.
I know they're overpriced and not the healthiest, but I love MRE's and I've started stocking up on them as well as freeze-dried food. At most places that sell bulk MREs they still boil down to about $4 per meal, a helluva lot cheaper than a meal anywhere else.

wags
wagsthadog
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby theo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:17 pm

- Insulation and new windows for the house could save a lot in future heating/cooling bills.
- Light bulbs.
- Batteries. They should last at least five years.
- Flash lights and a few radios; battery powered and wind up.
- Driveway salt for those of us in the North. Wait until the early Spring when it is on sale.
- Hand tools. You should have a spare of anything you use on a regular basis. Flea markets are a great place to look for these.
- Nails, screws, bolts. . .etc. I gotten at least a handful of screws/nails from the bank coin machine.

Engineer wrote:Gas goes bad when the volatile chemicals evaporate, or when moisture gets sucked in from the surrounding air. You can keep it good for quite a while in a plastic, nonvented container in a cool place with steady temperatures.

Is it the same for motor oil?
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NHsorter » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:51 pm

Don't worry about motor oil. It will last MUCH longer than gas.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Later » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:29 am

Cu Later
Penny Pincher Member

Postby rexmerdinus » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:23 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:<snip>
Wine.
Whiskey historically does very well in inflationary times. In times of panic and/or famine, it's worth it's weight in gold.

+1

Or a set of homebrew equipment and a still. It's pretty easy to build a still out of a used beer keg. There are a couple of companies that manufacture a special clamp just for attaching a column to the opening on a stainless steel keg.

Plus this equipment will serve you well in the interim between now and the hard times.
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals