Does anyone buy MIXED bags?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Does anyone buy MIXED bags?

Postby NHsorter » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:00 am

I have an opportunity to get bags off of a local banks coin counter. They tell me that their machine does not sort so the bags are mixed. I was wondering if anyone else on here has bought mixed bags before and what their experience is with it. It seems like it might be a pain to search it as opposed to searching on denomination at a time, but I think I am going to try it out. Are there any specific benefits/problems associated with doing this?
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Does anyone buy MIXED bags?

Postby newton7 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:11 am

Would love to hear what you find.
"It is only worth what someone will pay for it."

"Fly low, fly slow and don't make much noise."

my old feed back viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2348
newton7
Penny Pincher Member

Postby mnymgr1 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:30 am

you can buy a mixed bag of different denomination of coins, at face value? and you're wondering if you should do it ?
If I had the chance, I'd do that all day long. Zero risk unless they don't have an accurate count of face value. easy to grab the pennies of course, then ryedale them, then done.
I still get funny faces from bank employees asking to buy their bags of pennies. Saves everyone time, effort and money and still they won't do it around here for me.
mnymgr1
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Bluegill » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:11 am

Heck yes you should do it.

As for a possible miscount, I can guarantee it will be in your favor. All the dimes counted as pennies... All the times the cleared jams dump the customers coins in the bin and don't get counted...

TCF's lobby counters use a bin with all the denominations mixed. I have hounded them for years, asking to buy the whole bin, I would supply the bags and do the labor myself transferring the coins to my bags. Always got a no for an answer.

To have an opportunity like that is awesome. Definitely go for it.
Bluegill
Post Hoarder

Postby reddirtcoins » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:17 pm

That would be neat to try. I would do it.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NHsorter » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:27 pm

Thanks for the replies! Why did I even question this in the first place? Of course I should buy lobby counter loose coin!!!

I was just thinking that it might be a lot of work to pick out all the pennies. I might just hand sort instead of Ryedale-ing them since I will be basically handling them individually anyway.

Bluegill, you have me all excited about getting 1 cent dimes now!! Sweet.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Numis Pam » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:50 am

What did you end up doing about the mixed bags? Are you still able to get them??
Anyone else have this opportunity now or in the past?
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby mtldealer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:17 am

Do you have a coin separator? Run them thru there first.
mtldealer
Penny Collector Member

Postby NHsorter » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:25 am

I occasionally go and get mixed bags from this source. Problem is that it is usually mostly quarters. I have found a few silver quarters, but it is quite rare. I could get about 2-3 thousand a week from them in mixed bags. I usually take about half of what they have. I only go there about once a month on average. It's a little out of the way. So far, no collection dumps. Percentages of dimes, coppers, war nicks is about what you would expect from sorting boxes. Got 1 x 40% half one time. Barely any halves in these bags. Probably 1 cuni half per $1000 face coin.

I have a ScanCoin 303 that I use to separate the coins by denomination. It is a little bit of a pain doing it one denomination at a time, but overall it does save me time over just clawing through an unsorted bag a handful at a time. Wish I had a better sorter!

If I can get bags of dimes and cents from my other source, I'll do those first for sure. That source is not as consistent though, so if they are slow then I will swing by the mixed bag bank to grab a few bags if I am looking for something to sort.
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:27 am

Oh, if only I could get some of those. If you have a normal counter like a Mach 7 you just drop them in the top and it will separate all the denominations and give you a total count so you wll know immediately if you scored some dimes. If you have a single denomination counter they you just sort biggest to smallest to seperate.. halves, dollars, quarters, nickels, pennies. Then you can run the pennies through the Ryedale while you sort the rest of the load for silver. Be sure to dump somewhere else. Tell us the results. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:30 am

You are always going to get more quarters. Folks tend to dump the higher denominations first. At least with them in the bags you won't get any nickels in the rolls like those of us that occasionally take quarter rolls from the bank. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby NHsorter » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:36 am

Hoard, that is what I do with the SC303. I sort out from biggest denom to smallest. I usually have the ryedale doing cents as I edge search the quarters and dimes. If I get a big load of dimes (usually dont) then I use the ryedale for those too. Nickels I save up and hand sort in front of the boob tube at a later date.

Results from the last pick up: 3 bags totaling just under $1300.00. Over $900.00 of it was quarters. Found: 3 silver rosies, 1 war nickel, got about 30% copper with a handful of common wheats. Return on these bags was average to slightly above average from what I usually get.
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby mtldealer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:19 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:Oh, if only I could get some of those. If you have a normal counter like a Mach 7 you just drop them in the top and it will separate all the denominations and give you a total count so you wll know immediately if you scored some dimes. If you have a single denomination counter they you just sort biggest to smallest to seperate.. halves, dollars, quarters, nickels, pennies. Then you can run the pennies through the Ryedale while you sort the rest of the load for silver. Be sure to dump somewhere else. Tell us the results. :mrgreen:

Mach 7? I was looking into a Mach 6 or 9. I havent seen 7's? I need a sorter that will do more than a SC303/360...
mtldealer
Penny Collector Member

Postby NHsorter » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:27 pm

mtldealer wrote:
HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:I need a sorter that will do more than a SC303/360...
Don't we all! :D
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:48 am

NHsorter wrote:
mtldealer wrote:
HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:I need a sorter that will do more than a SC303/360...
Don't we all! :D

Nah, we don't all really need 'em. I have a Mach 3, a Mach 5, and a pair of Mach 7's. I hardly ever fire up the 7's. Those puppies weigh about 200 pounds each.. and I can't change the bags fast enough at 4,000 CPM. I could use a Mach 9 or Mach 12 for the collection. :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals