I wonder if...?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

I wonder if...?

Postby beauanderos » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:42 am

Neil likes to keep track of demand on ebay, while others buy and sell on craigslist. I wonder if any analysis of the number of buy ads on craigslist would be useful (canary in the mine shaft type thing) for predicting physical scarcity of 90% junk? How many listings are there in your area? What population approx? :geek:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: I wonder if...?

Postby christostock » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:03 am

never mind
Last edited by christostock on Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now accepting direct payments through Wells Fargo bank and TD bank.
christostock
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:20 am

beauanderos

Postby barrytrot » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:06 am

beauanderos wrote:Neil likes to keep track of demand on ebay, while others buy and sell on craigslist. I wonder if any analysis of the number of buy ads on craigslist would be useful (canary in the mine shaft type thing) for predicting physical scarcity of 90% junk? How many listings are there in your area? What population approx? :geek:

"useful"?

Are you implying that Neil's analysis is useful?

No knock on Neil, but his analysis is for entertainment value only. :)
barrytrot

Postby beauanderos » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:18 am

barrytrot wrote:
beauanderos wrote:Neil likes to keep track of demand on ebay, while others buy and sell on craigslist. I wonder if any analysis of the number of buy ads on craigslist would be useful (canary in the mine shaft type thing) for predicting physical scarcity of 90% junk? How many listings are there in your area? What population approx? :geek:

"useful"?

most likely too many factors to consider using this as one of many indicators, I was just wondering what "the man in the field" was experiencing. Barry, since you're here... how was it at the FUN show? Plentiful 90% priced near melt? Or mostly .999 forms of silver with junk silver meager at best? Does that show go on several days?
beauanderos

Postby barrytrot » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:22 am

I was at the FUN show for 10 minutes or less. I picked up a coin and we did the "panning for Gold" with my daughter. Then we left. I had a busy work week.
barrytrot

Postby slvrbck » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:22 am

I haven't seen any in my area at anywhere near a fair price for quite some time.
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby barrytrot » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:31 am

slvrbck wrote:I haven't seen any in my area at anywhere near a fair price for quite some time.

That's just because you assume low premiums are fair. Higher premiums are actually more realistic.
barrytrot

Postby Morsecode » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:48 am

I typed "junk silver" into a CL search and only got a handful of hits going back to Thanksgiving. Most coin buyers are not using the term. Why should the uninformed public be expected to know what it means?

"Coins", on the other hand, comes back with 50 or so direct hits each day. And of course who knows how many of those are re-posted by the same buyer with different wording.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby Engineer » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:06 pm

Search frequency is about the same as this time in 2011.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:47 pm

barrytrot wrote:

"useful"?

Barry, my good man, no knock taken, but you did make me laugh...people always underestimate me...or think me frivolous, until........

and my brother, i'm NOT writting this in any rancor...i actually ENJOY being underestimated...OR, being the only one doing "this or that"...or being of "entertainment value". ....its lucrative as well, believe it or not.

my analysis is so simple.

1. buy and hold physical silver.....American coinage only.

2. GET OUT of the cities/burbs/populated areas.....ASAP.

3. Buy land that has both clean water and hard woods.

4. Make friends in these areas....thats the most important, after you do the first three.

but you won't listen. Barry barry Barry....what am i gonna do with you?
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby RedRockGirl » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:54 pm

[quote="neilgin1}

4. Make friends in these areas....thats the most important, after you do the first three.[/quote]
:thumbup:
You been driving by my house lately? :shock: :lol: I'm still working on the friends part. I'm told I'm too shy and anti-social. :roll: ;)
RedRockGirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby neilgin1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:08 pm

RedRockGirl wrote:[quote="neilgin1}

4. Make friends in these areas....thats the most important, after you do the first three.

:thumbup:
You been driving by my house lately? :shock: :lol: I'm still working on the friends part. I'm told I'm too shy and anti-social. :roll: ;)[/quote]

ahhh, caught ya......no, that aint me driving by with the lights off at 2 AM.....banish the thought!!!

good for you Red Rocker...that you bailed. Much different life, taint it?
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby RedRockGirl » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:12 pm

It is a glorious slow little life, if I could just keep the gawkers out of my windows. ;)
RedRockGirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby barrytrot » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:16 pm

neilgin1 wrote:my analysis is so simple.

Even if I thought that was a good idea I wouldn't do it. I like my nice clean asphalt thank you :)

And when (if) the day comes where the cities are in ruins then most likely I'll be taken out by the mauraders/nukes/etc. pretty quickly.

And I'm fine with that. I don't want to live in a world without Starbucks "cake pops". Seriously, have you tried them, they are really good!
barrytrot

Postby neilgin1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:49 pm

RedRockGirl wrote:It is a glorious slow little life, if I could just keep the gawkers out of my windows. ;)

not meaning to pry.......what unholy force is driving these.....gawkers?.there must be some powerful attractant impelling them on this unwise course of action.....just even thinking about gawkers run amok HERE, within the green zone......would be cause for some very bad things to happen to them.....but then again, you ARE the "Red Rock Girl".....and i am not. (lolz) neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:51 pm

barrytrot wrote:
neilgin1 wrote:my analysis is so simple.

Even if I thought that was a good idea I wouldn't do it. I like my nice clean asphalt thank you :)

And when (if) the day comes where the cities are in ruins then most likely I'll be taken out by the mauraders/nukes/etc. pretty quickly.

And I'm fine with that. I don't want to live in a world without Starbucks "cake pops". Seriously, have you tried them, they are really good!

oh Barry...i wanted to explore your admantine stance at length...i'm fading fast, we will meet later on this issue, sleep well, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby ScottyTX » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:03 am

There are quite a few buyers out there on CL from what I used to see. I just started buying again and I'm about to run out of money to play with.... Those Silver eagles and Maples today at spot sure was nice... There's still plenty of people that need cash today around... That's the difference between strong hands and weaker hands I imagine.

Scotty
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals