Fastest way for searching nickels?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Fastest way for searching nickels?

Postby Pennybug » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:26 pm

This has probably come up before... so sorry in advance. :oops: I've been searching pennies and halves for a while now. I like pennies and halves the most because the payout is so much better when you find them, or in the case of pennies... your just about garanteed a payback. Anyhow... I stack nickels... but I don't search them. Just for kicks... I pulled out some rolls and searched a few tonight. BINGO! :D First war nick! Anyhow... it was pretty dirty so I can't really tell if it appears that different from the others. Anyone got any tricks for searching for war nicks quicker than a date check? :)
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Re: Fastest way for searching nickels?

Postby avidbrandy » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:39 pm

I've started searching recently and what I do is I drop the nickels in a pile as I go through them. The sound is significantly different.

The other way would be just check all dates. look for mroe than just silver. I bought a couple whitman folders and am having fun with that.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby bman » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:00 pm

no need to check the dates, just look for the large mint mark above the dome of the Monticello on the reverse.
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby texcollex » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:20 pm

The manganese in the war nickels tends to make them turn black and sticky. A quick scan and pull out all the dark looking ones and then check for the mint mark.
texcollex
Penny Collector Member

Postby Pennybug » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:07 pm

texcollex wrote:The manganese in the war nickels tends to make them turn black and sticky. A quick scan and pull out all the dark looking ones and then check for the mint mark.

Interesting! ;) This goes along quite nicely with the one I found! THANKS!
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby NHsorter » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:32 am

Pennybug wrote:
texcollex wrote:The manganese in the war nickels tends to make them turn black and sticky. A quick scan and pull out all the dark looking ones and then check for the mint mark.

Most of the silver ones will stand out as a different color, but I still look at each coin to make sure that I am not missing any buffalo's or v's. For speed, I don't flip them when I am searching. I read the date if that side is facing up and if the reverse is facing up, I check for the mark above the dome.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby reddirtcoins » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:27 am

The only reason I flip them is the hope for a really cool error coin... but to date-nothing... I can burn through nickels like no other.. easy, easy.... and for some reason I find it relaxing.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby theo » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:28 pm

NHsorter wrote:
Pennybug wrote:

Most of the silver ones will stand out as a different color, but I still look at each coin to make sure that I am not missing any buffalo's or v's. For speed, I don't flip them when I am searching. I read the date if that side is facing up and if the reverse is facing up, I check for the mark above the dome.

Yes. The silver war nickels have some manganese (8% I think) which makes them a little darker. The SW nickels are perhaps the ugliest silver coins ever made.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby twentybux » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:44 pm

Yes. The silver war nickels have some manganese (8% I think) which makes them a little darker. The SW nickels are perhaps the ugliest silver coins ever made.[/quote]
I completely agree. But...like the saying goes...silver is silver, right? :D
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby rainsonme » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:55 pm

I can do $100 in nickels in about 1.5 hours, date sorting all of them. I jsut finished a bag last night, and found 61 war nickels, the best bag I ever sorted. I also got quite a few 1938 and 1939 nickels, along with a good assortment of other pre-1959 nickels. I would not have found all of those war nickels by edge sorting; many of them were quite bright.

The modern face of the nickel makes it easier; I scan for the mint mark on the front of the coin, and toss all of them. If the picture of Jeferson is the newer large face, I don't need to even look for the mint mark. I keep all pre-1960 nickels, with war nickels and buffalo's kept separate. I find date sorting nickels rewarding, and I can go thru $100 in nickels a heck of a lot faster than I can date sort $50 in pennies.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby knibloe » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:37 pm

Dont forget to keep your 2008's
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby fb101 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:57 pm

I read dates because I decided to fill in a set. In 4 years + the only one I'm missing is the 39d (or is that the 38d?) - I've got great AUs for most of the nickels even the 38 and 39, but can;t get the last d nickel.
I've picked up several off center strikes and such that I'll put on feebay when I get around to it.
I can do $100 box in about 1-1/2 hours also, so no big deal time.
fb101
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby rainsonme » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:51 am

2008's? I have been keeping my 2009 nickels, but I did not know that 2008 was a key year.

I hoard copper pennies, and the nickels that I hoard are all pre-1960. When the content of the nciel finally changes, I would like to have the older coins, instead of unsearched nickels.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Pennysaved » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:31 am

I look at them for dates.

I have found a 50D

I also found an early Buffalo nickel that was in XF that a dealer told me was worth in the 50 dollar range.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:42 pm

rainsonme wrote:2008's? I have been keeping my 2009 nickels, but I did not know that 2008 was a key year.

I hoard copper pennies, and the nickels that I hoard are all pre-1960. When the content of the nciel finally changes, I would like to have the older coins, instead of unsearched nickels.

Someone help us here. Is it the 2008 or 0's that are low mintage??
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby Numis Pam » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:31 pm

Interesting older thread but still unclear about if there is some value to saving the 2008....
Anybody care to weigh in on this? :angel:
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Doctor Steuss » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:46 pm

2007 P - 571,680,000
2007 D - 626,160,000
2008 P - 279,840,000
2008 D - 345,600,000
2009 P - 39,840,000
2009 D - 46,800,000
2010 P - 260,640,000
2010 D - 229,920,000

I'm guessing it was a typo on knibloe's part (if one were to keep 2008's, it would almost make more sense to keep 2010's).
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Numis Pam » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:55 pm

Thanks so very much for the fast reply Doctor Steuss ! :D
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:17 pm

The newer reverses are also markedly different than the pre-2000 nickels. I don't even bother to flip those when date checking for pre-60's.

Nice bag, rainsonme! Make sure to hit them up for their bag of halves when it drops.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:18 pm

Yeah, you can search for silver pretty quickly by looking for the mintmarks. I don't though, since I'm filling out a book.

Do you think it's possible to edge search for war nickels?
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JadeDragon » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:30 pm

scyther wrote:Yeah, you can search for silver pretty quickly by looking for the mintmarks. I don't though, since I'm filling out a book.

Do you think it's possible to edge search for war nickels?

No, and a Ryedale can't find them either. The real prizes are any pure Ni Canuck nicks you find.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby johnbrickner » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:49 am

Since '09, when I sort nickels I've pulled the BU from the current year in anticipation of debasement. This way I have a number of high condition of the last year of the last "real" money minted. And yes, that means for the last four year. I'm very patient and determined when I need to be.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Cold-Silver » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:44 am

you can edge sort, for the silver nickels but the effectiveness is questionable. I have been edge sorting nickels at work for some time now and based on the return ratio's of other members i collect around 25% less than most. If you have to go the the bank anyhow to get your source you should just look for mint marks, but the best reason to look for the mint marks than to edge sort is you will miss out on buffalo's.

I have gotten a few rolls edge sorting for war nickels so far, but to date I have only found a lonely pair of buffalo's. :(
Cold-Silver

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals