Bundesbank recalls all NY gold

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Bundesbank recalls all NY gold

Postby schockergd » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:11 am

schockergd
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Bundesbank recalls all NY gold

Postby misteroman » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:25 am

Was reading that this morning. I cant see how it cant hit $50/2000 this year and am betting hard on it.
I hope I'm right lol
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Hawkeye » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:28 am

That might start to make things interesting.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby doug » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:48 pm

All I can say, it is their gold. I hope they get all of the gold to have coming.
doug
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mbailey1234 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:55 pm

How do you say tungsten in German? How many flat rate international boxes would it take to ship it? :lol:
mbailey1234
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:21 pm

mbailey1234 wrote:How do you say tungsten in German?

Wolfram
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby uthminsta » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:27 pm

This article does not say they are repatriating ALL their gold from NY. They ARE repatriating all their gold from France, and an UNDISCLOSED PERCENTAGE of their gold from the NY Fed.

No matter what the percentage is, it sends quite a signal to those who are listening. There are several possible scenarios that could play out from this, but the two main ones which come to mind are:

1) Other nations may suspect there is not as much physical gold there as is on paper, and quickly line up to recall their gold. Eventually we get to "the bottom of the barrel" before it's all supposed to be gone. Let that scenario roll around in your head for a while. What would happen next? NY Fed in big trouble, but GOLD JUMPS OVERNIGHT.

2) even if every GRAM that is supposed to be there actually is, the very removal of the gold from Germany says they feel less need for dollar-liquidity, so other countries may follow suit anyway. What would happen next? US economy in trouble, and DOLLAR TANKS OVERNIGHT.

Does that sound about right to all of you?
uthminsta

Postby henrysmedford » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:31 pm

The Federal Reserve Bank of New York holds 1,536 metric tons of German gold, nearly half of Berlin's reserves. This enormous hoard of gold is stored in the fifth subfloor of the bank's building on Liberty Street, 25 meters (80 feet) below street level, and 15 meters below sea level.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby PennyPauper » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:31 pm

Cue Mission Impossible theme.... "Operation Wolfram"
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ZenOps » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:29 pm

They should be able to verify the bars fairly quickly.

I believe they can simply squish the bars (like what would normally be done before making planchets) and test with great accuracy 3 mm deep on each side with a standard XRF scanner.

No need to even melt them anymore nowadays, but they probably will. I would. Any bets that its all there? I'm thinking its all there.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby henrysmedford » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:47 am

You know a story is real when you read it on the BBC--http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21040214

BUSINESS

16 January 2013 Last updated at 07:27 ET
Germany gold: Central bank to bring home some reserves
Germany's central bank is to bring back almost 700 tonnes of gold reserves it keeps in New York and Paris.
By 2020, half of its gold bars will be in its vaults, the Bundesbank said. It currently keeps less than a third at home.
The bars were originally taken out of Germany as a precaution against an invasion from the Soviet Union.
Central banks keep gold abroad so that it can be used to quickly buy foreign currency in times of crisis.
The Bundesbank will no longer keep any of its reserves in Paris, as both countries use the euro.
It will reduce the amount it holds in New York from 45% to 37% by the end of the decade.
No gold will be moved out of the Bank of England's vaults, however. It will still keep 13% of its total reserves in London, the German central bank said.
According to the BBC's Berlin correspondent, Stephen Evans, the German audit office has criticised the government for not keeping a proper track of the bars,
It has even suggested some of the bars may not have been checked to see if they are real, he added.

BBC © 2013 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby ZenOps » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:06 am

"It will reduce the amount it holds in New York from 45% to 37% by the end of the decade."

I thought they were taking out much more than that, online sites made it seem like they were clawing at assets.

BBC wins.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby uthminsta » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:10 pm

Germany's central bank is to bring back almost 700 tonnes of gold reserves it keeps in New York and Paris. By 2020, half of its gold bars will be in its vaults, the Bundesbank said. ... It will reduce the amount it holds in New York from 45% to 37% by the end of the decade.

This means a 17.8% reduction in their NY FED holdings. By 2020. The original article had it sounding like they wanted it all out by the end of the week. This is slow enough to put everyone back to sleep about it.

No gold will be moved out of the Bank of England's vaults, however. It will still keep 13% of its total reserves in London, the German central bank said.

Interesting to note. Does this mean they have no problem with the stability of the Pound, or...?

Okay, so I did the math myself, using the percentages and the 3,396 ton total amount mentioned.

German gold, 2013:
3396 tons total.
45% is held in New York (1528.2 tons)
31% in Frankfurt (1052.76 tons)
13% in London (441.48 tons)
11% in Paris (373.56 tons)

German gold, 2020:
assuming their reserve stays at 3396 tons total...
50% Frankfurt (1698 tons)
37% New York (1256.52 tons)
13% London (441.48 tons)
0% Paris

Or... 271.68 tons removed from NY over a 7-year span.
uthminsta

Postby Kurr » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:27 pm

The Fed (imho) has negotiated with them to allow for the 2020 after being assured by the pentagon they will be able to "pacify" and obtain that amount of gold from the just discovered "Al-Quaida in Mali".

As I stated on another forum, it's uncanny how AQ seems to have a knack for taking up residence in areas that seem to have strategic resources we need.
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr

Postby uthminsta » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:59 pm

Also just read that Germany was asking back in October for NY to send them 50 tons a year for the next 3 years...
uthminsta

Postby slvrbck » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:40 pm

when i first glanced I thought this thread was called beauanderos recalls all NY gold
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:16 pm

slvrbck wrote:when i first glanced I thought this thread was called beauanderos recalls all NY gold

Couldn't find a picture of a bald guy :lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:21 pm

uthminsta wrote:Interesting to note. Does this mean they have no problem with the stability of the pound?

No, just that they "need" some gold as collateral for forex with the USD and the pound, but they don't need anything in France.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby soundman » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:12 pm

Interesting article about unique "tempest" signatures of gold bars and using it as a means to authenticate. This is relevent to this thread since the German's used it to test some bars at the NY fed.
This article also discusses how the German's gold was only 8 feet underground which might have something to due with them wanting to repatriate it. If none of that is of interest, you can see the X-ray gun and other testing equipment that the German's used at the NY fed.

http://cryptome.org/2013/01/de-gold/de-gold-tempest.htm
soundman

Postby nero12345 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:32 am

They missed the first payment. Not a great start is it.
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby uthminsta » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:57 pm

nero12345 wrote:They missed the first payment. Not a great start is it.

Which reaction did you have to this news?
:shock: or :roll:

Please quote a source if you have one to share. I would like to read up on this.
uthminsta

Postby cooyon » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:59 pm

Kurr wrote:
As I stated on another forum, it's uncanny how AQ seems to have a knack for taking up residence in areas that seem to have strategic resources we need.

I hope the AQ don't learn about Lebanon bologna.
cooyon
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:00 pm

uthminsta wrote:

Please quote a source if you have one to share. I would like to read up on this.

I'm not finding anything about this missing payment? I did read several articles on the attempted gold repatriation, tho, which now makes me the reigning expert on the subject :lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby nero12345 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:35 pm

beauanderos wrote:
uthminsta wrote:

I'm not finding anything about this missing payment? I did read several articles on the attempted gold repatriation, tho, which now makes me the reigning expert on the subject :lol:

That's scary that you're the expert.lol. So they delivered 37.5 tons which is about 50 tonnes short, thats if they were to make equal payments. If I owe visa $87 and I pay them $37 then they would and I would consider that a missed payment. I suppose I'm wrong. So what I should have said they made a partial payment on their first payment and they will make it up on the next one. I'm sure it's all there.
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-12-2 ... -700-total

I'm not a news reporter so I I'm not required to provide sources. :roll: In trying to keep up with all the nonsense that goes on these days I read many articles on many different websites and newspapers.
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby theo » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:35 am

nero12345 wrote:
I'm not a news reporter so I I'm not required to provide sources. .

No one you here "required" you to do anything. However, if you post an important piece of information here, you may be asked to back it up with a source. As it turns out, your information was a little off. No big deal and certainly no need to get defensive.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals