All in

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

All in

Postby wheeler_dealer » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:04 pm

Been thinking lately about increasing my ratio of p.m.'s, basically silver. My thoughts are that if I increase my ounce volume (less paper) and just maintain minimum cash for day to day expenses I could always sell off a chunk in a pinch. Thoughts???
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: All in

Postby beauanderos » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:32 pm

wheeler_dealer wrote:Been thinking lately about increasing my ratio of p.m.'s, basically silver. My thoughts are that if I increase my ounce volume (less paper) and just maintain minimum cash for day to day expenses I could always sell off a chunk in a pinch. Thoughts???

That's what I do... have been since 2003. You might consider an emergency fund of a few months worth of bills paying capacity... the "emergency" being if there's a dramatic pullback you can buy more (if you can find it) :?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:33 pm

wheeler_dealer wrote:Been thinking lately about increasing my ratio of p.m.'s, basically silver. My thoughts are that if I increase my ounce volume (less paper) and just maintain minimum cash for day to day expenses I could always sell off a chunk in a pinch. Thoughts???

I like it, but I still would advise to keep a "rainy day/emergency" fiat stash somewhere. I have about $1,000, because tow truck drivers/ plumbers/ walmart don't take ASE's as payment, and places that could liquify your PM's are closed usually after 12pm on saturdays and on sundays. But besides that......Stack it high my friend!!!

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:34 pm

beauanderos wrote:That's what I do... have been since 2003. You might consider an emergency fund of a few months worth of bills paying capacity... the "emergency" being if there's a dramatic pullback you can buy more (if you can find it) :?

Great minds must think alike... :wave:

-The Great
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 93_Confirmed » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:39 pm

I agree with converting more cash (savings) to PMs and am in the process of doing so myself. I have an emergency fund (cash) at an easily accessible location and plan to move funds out of a savings account (embarassingly low interest rate) and into physical silver and possibly a little bit of gold. PMs are easy to liquidate in most cases so the only real issue is potentially taking a loss if the price happens to be down at the time of liquidation.
"When you place an order at NWT, they write it down on a slip of paper and hand it to a guy with a pickaxe who rides off to the Pan American mine on a donkey". - natsb88
93_Confirmed
Penny Collector Member

Postby barrytrot » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:39 pm

Whether it is PM's, real estate, stocks, or some other investment all of your non-emergency funds should be in them, period.

There is zero benefit to cash. It just sits there and reduces it's value. That's all it does.

Have enough to pay whatever your short term payments plus emergency are and that's it. Period.

There is no logical reason to do otherwise. Find whatever investment(s) you like and put your money where it won't just dissolve.
barrytrot

Postby beauanderos » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:42 pm

barrytrot wrote: put your money where it won't just dissolve.

Great minds. +1
beauanderos

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:45 pm

beauanderos wrote:

Great minds. +1

x2..... that's a great quote. You might see it in my Signature sometime soon. Barrytrot in there with Abe, Tom, and Henry...

-The Great
- Abraham Lincoln

- Henry Ford

- Thomas A. Edison

-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:51 pm

CLINT-THE-GREAT wrote:
beauanderos wrote:

Great minds. +1

x2..... that's a great quote. You might see it in my Signature sometime soon. Barrytrot in there with Abe, Tom, and Henry...

-The Great

Lincoln, Jefferson, and Ford?
beauanderos

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:16 pm

beauanderos wrote:
CLINT-THE-GREAT wrote:
beauanderos wrote:x2..... that's a great quote. You might see it in my Signature sometime soon. Barrytrot in there with Abe, Tom, and Henry...

-The Great

Lincoln, Jefferson, and Ford?

YUP!!! Check out my signature under my post!!!! Lincoln, Jefferson, Ford, and Barrytrot

-The Great
- Abraham Lincoln

- Henry Ford

- Thomas A. Edison

-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby inflationhawk » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:43 pm

beauanderos wrote:

That's what I do... have been since 2003. You might consider an emergency fund of a few months worth of bills paying capacity... the "emergency" being if there's a dramatic pullback you can buy more (if you can find it) :?

Yes, you really need at least 2 to 3 months of living expenses in cash. It's just common sense and prudence. If you want everything else in silver, gold, or any other asset class, that's entirely your prerogative and no one has any business telling you whether or not its a good idea, but don't chance not having cash for immediate needs. Cash is king in the near term.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals