Guy in Australia finds nugget weighing 177 ounces

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Guy in Australia finds nugget weighing 177 ounces

Postby NHsorter » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:18 pm

That is awesome!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:23 pm

Just saw that. Cool. I'm not sure what I'd do with that if I found it...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:11 pm

scyther wrote:Just saw that. Cool. I'm not sure what I'd do with that if I found it...

KSA! :thumbup:
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby dakota1955 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:43 pm

that sure beat our gold rush people
dakota1955
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Nickelmeister » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:10 pm

scyther wrote:Just saw that. Cool. I'm not sure what I'd do with that if I found it...

I'd sell it to Winnipeg Gold Buyer.
Standing offer: BUYING Canadian junk silver at 90% melt. PM me to lock in price and quantity.
Nickelmeister
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:26 am

Nickelmeister wrote:

I'd sell it to Winnipeg Gold Buyer.

You buying? I think they are auctioning it off.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Treetop » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:51 pm

would a metal detector work on small nuggets? I have a streambed across my yard, and access to large segments of the same. This is a seasonal streambed. These streams werent mined heavily is my understanding, since there wasnt always water to pan with and the like... Or rather its hit and miss where they were mined, if thats the right word for this type of thing.

I might try panning sometime, but if small nuggets can be searched for... it might be worth renting or borrowing a good detector. I could go over a few miles of this type of thing, and multiples of that if I go to the smaller "streams" that feed the more prominent ones.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:01 pm

Check this out concerning nugget detecting. I am sure they are plenty of prospecting and/or detecting forums that discuss this stuff.
http://www.goldgold.com/tips-for-detecting-gold-nuggets.html
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:11 pm

NHsorter wrote:Check this out concerning nugget detecting. I am sure they are plenty of prospecting and/or detecting forums that discuss this stuff.
http://www.goldgold.com/tips-for-detecting-gold-nuggets.html

Thanks for the link.

1) Exposed Bedrock: Gold can usually be found on bedrock, or in exposed crevices.

2) Washes: Desert gold is moved by flash floods, which create washes that may be gold bearing. The banks of washes also sometimes pay well, with nuggets that are in the process of being washed down by the infrequent flash flooding.

3) Old Dry-washing Tailings: Dry-washing equipment misses gold many times when the dirt is screened into the machine. A dry-washer does not separate wet dirt well and the gold can often flows right out into the tailings.

4) Any other desert areas where prospectors have found gold in the past. Remember–GOLD IS WHERE YOU FIND IT–AND WHERE OTHERS HAVE FOUND IT!

For Mountain Areas, check the following:

1) Rivers & Streams: Detect all exposed bedrock on the sides of rivers and streams.

2) Old Mines: Look through tailings piles and around old stamp mills. Check roads that were used for hauling ore. Caution: Do not enter any mining tunnels. These can be extremely dangerous.

3) Hydraulic Areas and Ancient River Channels: Metal detect all exposed bedrock. Look under rock piles (watch for snakes!) Check areas where old sluice boxes were used. I’ve found that gold can be anywhere in a hydraulic area, so be sure to search these areas very carefully.

This sounds rather promising. gold was/is found here. If I include exposed bedrock I have many square miles of area I could try searching rather then just a few miles of streambed... Im going to have to look into renting a detector sometime I think, buying one if it seems like it can pay foritself. Would be neat to have some nuggets I found myself.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals