ebay Silver "Deal?"

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

ebay Silver "Deal?"

Postby beauanderos » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:41 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130834145999?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

took a chance and bid on this one. Supposed to have ebay buyer protection, so if they aren't all silver I'll start a dispute. States that there are no returns. What gets me is that the seller has other silver listings... so is he being intentionally clueless... or trying to get away with something?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: ebay Silver "Deal?"

Postby barrytrot » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:43 pm

Whether there are returns or not the buyer's protection prevents you from getting something that isn't what they said it was so you are 100% safe I would say.

And with the 2% cash back + 1%-ish from your credit card that's a decent price for silver there!
barrytrot

Postby beauanderos » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:52 pm

barrytrot wrote:Whether there are returns or not the buyer's protection prevents you from getting something that isn't what they said it was so you are 100% safe I would say.

And with the 2% cash back + 1%-ish from your credit card that's a decent price for silver there!

yeah... hardly likely they are "Truman" dimes... OR sterling silver! :lol: but I think the only reason it went this low was that people were afraid to bid on it :?
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:59 pm

Looked like a pile of the famous sterling Truman dime to me! Lol
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby agmoose » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:02 pm

No feedback since last March,....makes me wonder if he has another account based on activity levels last year. Good luck though, I hope they are all legit so I can get some in a weekend sale!
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:05 pm

68Camaro wrote:Looked like a pile of the famous sterling Truman dime to me! Lol

my only concern was if they were all pre-1965, as the seller can claim they were unsearched. But then they did describe them as silver. I had already sent an email to the seller prior to the close of bidding that I was entering an aggressive bid... and that if I won and the dimes were not all silver a dispute would be initiated. Hopefully, nothing is amiss.

On a side note... there sure are few listings for silver coin lots. Not at all like it used to be. Most listings are single coins! The higher value lots are all crap listings "sixteen ounces of silver" etc.
beauanderos

Postby Thogey » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:17 pm

You will do fine Ray.

I predict the deal will go smooth. Sometimes an e-bay account is a husband-wife team, especially those that deal with estates.

You will get your truman dimes.

I think the "estate liquidation" business is growing fast, due to all the old ass people in the USA, They're dyin fast.

There are some SERIOUSLY clueless estate liquadation outfits in my area.

Truman dimes?, Sterling Silver? you could extort them as "item not described" even if the dimes were good.

Don't get into a business unless you have been trained or at least have some experience.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby fasteddy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:22 pm

I once bought a couple of sterling silver US coins. 14 bucks each for two ASE's...sometime they dont know what they are selling.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby creshka46 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:57 pm

Wow. I've bid on Jefferson quarters and Kennedy dollars but never Trueman dimes! :lol: :lol:
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CardsNCoins » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:57 pm

Not counting the 2% and 1% barrytrot mentioned it looks like you paid 97% of melt. Is that good? I don't "buy" silver so that is a serious question.
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:04 pm

Any time you can buy below melt is a good deal. The one percent Barry mentioned doesn't apply to me.
beauanderos

Postby silver » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:56 pm

The listing is over. Did you win?
ED
silver
Penny Collector Member

Postby Chaboo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:56 am

...not far from my parents...
Nice one Ray.
Chaboo
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rastatodd » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:12 am

"Truman"? Are people here in the United States that clueless on there history, or just an honest mistake in the listing. I will withhold my opinions. :lol:
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby agmoose » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:29 am

creshka46 wrote:Wow. I've bid on Jefferson quarters and Kennedy dollars but never Trueman dimes! :lol: :lol:

Until you said this, I totally forgot that I won a Washington Nickle collection for $8 a couple years back, 1938-1964, all dates were there including he wars and the 1950d.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Treetop » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:39 pm

I bought a LARGE lot of "eisenhower" dimes one time. I got them, and all was well. I was just messing around, and wrote the seller telling them that I was happy they were silver as he had said but I was disipointed that they were roosevelts and not eisenhowers, because Ive never seen the latter. He refunded some of my money and sent me two more ROLLS of dimes, all while apologizing profusely for his mistake.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:50 pm

fasteddy wrote:I once bought a couple of sterling silver US coins. 14 bucks each for two ASE's...sometime they dont know what they are selling.

before i respond to Ray....you GOTTA be kidding me...serious? unbelivable.......just friggin unreal.

there's a flip side to that...post dollar, lets say we trade in silver and gold...though more silver, maybe.....there's going to be a period where silver is NOT highly sought after at 100 plus an ounce, UNTIL people realize the only way you can GET THINGS is with silver. (or coppers or nick's)

Going to be an interesting ride.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:53 pm

Treetop wrote:I bought a LARGE lot of "eisenhower" dimes one time. I got them, and all was well. I was just messing around, and wrote the seller telling them that I was happy they were silver as he had said but I was disipointed that they were roosevelts and not eisenhowers, because Ive never seen the latter. He refunded some of my money and sent me two more ROLLS of dimes, all while apologizing profusely for his mistake.

OH MAN!!! you GOT to be kidding! .....and thats funny of YOU,. working the guy like that..hahahhahahahah......you're a bad man. i'm kidding ya. gee whiz! thats a good antedote.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:02 pm

that's a sweet score Ray.......at and/or RIGHT at melt, so highly fractionalized like that, cant beat it. i think you're good, i also think these MIGHT be old folks, who's wiring is getting frayed...and thats sad. Thats what it smells like to me. i've never had to deal with Alzeheimers up close, but thats what my gut tells me.

so nicely fractionalized! its like having 557 $20 bills (in todays money) sweet.

later add: checking over the bid's, you're crafty my brother....you didnt show up to the last second, but the other sniper just nickled and dimed himself out of 40 ounces.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:14 pm

well?

what happpened?

dont tell us you got jammed.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:34 pm

neilgin1 wrote:well?

what happpened?

dont tell us you got jammed.

they haven't arrived yet... I'll post an update. Yeah, I don't watch auctions... I use powersnipe.com $45 a year, but well worth it if you do much bidding. Come to think of it, ebay is dead nowadays... maybe I should cancel? :?
beauanderos

Postby CardsNCoins » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:50 pm

beauanderos wrote:.......I use powersnipe.com $45 a year, but well worth it..............

JustSnipe.com is a service that allows you 5 snipes a week for free:

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with JustSnipe.com, just passing along some info to my good friends here at RealCent that set snipes for auctions on a casual basis.
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:00 pm

CardsNCoins wrote:
beauanderos wrote:.......I use powersnipe.com $45 a year, but well worth it..............

JustSnipe.com is a service that allows you 5 snipes a week for free:

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with JustSnipe.com, just passing along some info to my good friends here at RealCent that set snipes for auctions on a casual basis.

WHAT??!! I just set the alert via the ebay app on my phone to tell me when there is 15 mins left and I do my own sniping!! Never know when you need to improvise!! :D

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:33 am

got the dimes in... all silver :mrgreen:
beauanderos