Did a good deed but you guys wont believe this one!!!!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Did a good deed but you guys wont believe this one!!!!

Postby misteroman » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:58 am

Bought some coins from a lady off of craigslist friday night who lived around the corner from me. Husband passed away in april and she said they were just laying around. mostly just some junk 90% and some eagles. I see a couple items off to the side but didn't really pay much attention to them until she asks me-

Her-do you know what these are?
Me- yes I do
Her-are they worth anything?
Me- more then anything else on the table! these are gold ma'am
Her- really? I WAS JUST GOING TO THROW THEM OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

They were 2 $5 gold eagles :D I offered her $125each when I could've probably gotten them for $5ea. but would have to live with myself then.
actually talked to her for about 2 hrs and she told me to stop over again soon and bring the wife and son. Looks like coin collecting introduced strangers again. I have a feeling she will be someone I talk to regularly even though she is probably 25+ yrs older then me.
Just thought I'd share
Derek
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Dida good deed but you guyys wont believe this one!!!!

Postby Ethon » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:06 am

Wow great find, nice of you to be honest and not take advantage of her. I don't think i would be able to live with my self either buying gold eagles at face.
Ethon
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Dida good deed but you guyys wont believe this one!!!!

Postby geewhzz » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:26 am

nice job, you got a good deal, showed her you're honest, and you can sleep at night. always good to have more friends.
geewhzz

Re: Did a good deed but you guys wont believe this one!!!!

Postby PennyPauper » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:16 am

Ya did good kid,ya done real good! :) I can't beleive she was going to throw them out. Shows it is worth taking the time to inform our loved ones what we have saved,are days are numbered on this Earth.
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby GTOJohn » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:11 am

way to go - nice score - and more important - a nice way to treat the lady!
GTOJohn
Penny Collector Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:23 am

want your money back + 10%?

Good man on being honest ;)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby rexmerdinus » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:40 am

Good on ya!! A wise old grey-beard once told me that integrity is all about how you act when nobody is looking. Plus Karma has a nasty way of coming back and biting you in the ass!
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby NDFarmer » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:11 am

Way to go Derek, hopefully you will be rewarded many times over.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby PreservingThePast » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:36 pm

misteroman wrote:Bought some coins from a lady off of craigslist friday night who lived around the corner from me. Husband passed away in april and she said they were just laying around. mostly just some junk 90% and some eagles. I see a couple items off to the side but didn't really pay much attention to them until she asks me-

Her-do you know what these are?
Me- yes I do
Her-are they worth anything?
Me- more then anything else on the table! these are gold ma'am
Her- really? I WAS JUST GOING TO THROW THEM OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

They were 2 $5 gold eagles :D I offered her $125each when I could've probably gotten them for $5ea. but would have to live with myself then.
actually talked to her for about 2 hrs and she told me to stop over again soon and bring the wife and son. Looks like coin collecting introduced strangers again. I have a feeling she will be someone I talk to regularly even though she is probably 25+ yrs older then me.
Just thought I'd share
Derek

Awesome!!! No good deed goes unnoticed.
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby Roadrunner » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:46 pm

Well done!
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby thesilvertiger » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:02 pm

Awesome!!! No good deed goes unnoticed.[/quote]

I always heard that "no good deed goes unpunished". But you answer later on somewhere else for what you do here. Great job of being an honest person. That is rarer than silver in your change these days!
thesilvertiger
Penny Sorter Member

Postby appjoe » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:17 pm

Way to go. If there were more honest people like you this world would be a better place to live.
appjoe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Devil Soundwave » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:36 am

Good lad, you did the right thing. :)

Got pics? :)
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Nacinator » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:52 pm

Good for you but more imporantly you did the honest thing and made a new friend. I worked a elder abuse / fraud case last month where a caretaker bought 300 morgan dollars and 300 64 kennedy dollars at face value ($450.00) from a 90 year old lady.Her great grand son noted the coins were missing when he aske to to look a them. He told his father about it and he got the ball rolling. In the interview I shamed the caretaker and he confessed to knowing the market price of the coins and had a buyer for the lot for $10K. He advised he still had the coins. Wrote a warrant into his home and recovered them and a bunch of her jewelry, crystal service and her deceased husband Purple heart with 3 stars awared for combat actions in WWII.
Nacinator
Penny Sorter Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:04 am

Swindling people can make you a quick buck. But that's it, usually just a buck. When you do the right thing (and you did) somebody will tell a few people. However, if you screw somebody over and once they figure it out, well they are going to tell 20 people. Your name becomes mud and all you have to show for it is a buck. Doing good and honest business is far more profitable in the long run. Take a look around, snake oil salesmen don't last long or they have to move.

Good for you for doing the right thing. Sounds like it worked out for all parties.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:49 pm

I was wondering when I was going to tell this story... A buddy of mine became a bank teller about 3 months ago now. My first thought was sweet a source bank and possibly silver. A month a go I asked if he ever sees any silver come in. He said once and a while the typical old lady with the husbands old collection will come in and ask if they are any good still. He tells them the money is perfectly good still but that he will refuse to take them. He then directs them to a coin store and tells them they are worth much more than they will get at the bank. If he has an idea what they are worth he will tell them a ball park figure and send them on their way.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:25 pm

What is the deal with the eldery old lady?

I am an honest person and have reacted the same way you did in very similar situations.

But:
These old broads know EVERYTHING!, they spent their whole lives brow beating thier husbands and pile driving them into the grave.

They never listened to a damn thing they were told about the value of things around them.

He was an idiot. He wasted his time collecting silver. Should we really have pity on these women?

6 years ago I saved an 86 year old woman from cashing in a 5 gallon bucket full of silver at face.

Her 95 year old husband was begging her not to do it. Neither one of them the could lift the bucket. She saw the reality in the situation, he died about 3 months after this incident. She now is close to her reward, and I will miss her.
But WTF is the problem with the eldery old lady who refuses to understand this stuff
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Lgsilver » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:59 pm

Great score!!!!!!
Lgsilver

Postby twentybux » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:30 pm

Nice story. Just emphasizes why I like this forum so much. Informative folks that are willing to give you the facts. "Do unto others..." Hey Derek, should have offered her some Lowes cards for them! Ha! Good for you man!
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Fatboy » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:26 am

twentybux wrote: Hey Derek, should have offered her some Lowes cards for them! Ha! Good for you man!

Now that's funny!
Fatboy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby NDFarmer » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:38 am

Thogey wrote: But WTF is the problem with the eldery old lady who refuses to understand this stuff

Thogey it is not just elderly old ladies. I have a coin tube of 50 pennies sitting on my desk right now that is worth at least $1200.00 but I know if something happens to me my wife will take it to the bank and dump it for 50 cents. I have tried to talk to her about what they are worth and she just refuses to listen. She just says I don't want anything to do with your "silly" coins. But I guess when we find a good coin in circulation that is probably how it got there. Somebody dumped someone's collection at the bank.
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:53 pm

[quote="NDFarmer"]I have a coin tube of 50 pennies sitting on my desk right now that is worth at least $1200.00 but I know if something happens to me my wife will take it to the bank and dump it for 50 cents. [quote]
I'll give you a buck for it.. then you won't have to worry about it. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby abe » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:14 pm

What a coincidence. About 5 years ago I was buying an elderly ladies small collection left by her husband, and she ask me if these mexican coins were worth anything. One dollar and two and a half dollar gold pieces. She was happy and since I don't do gold I directed her to a gold and silver buyer. Have no idea why she thought they were mexican coins.
Got Laminated Lincolns? Give me a buzz.
abe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TXBullion » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:24 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:
NDFarmer wrote:I have a coin tube of 50 pennies sitting on my desk right now that is worth at least $1200.00 but I know if something happens to me my wife will take it to the bank and dump it for 50 cents.
I'll give you a buck for it.. then you won't have to worry about it. :mrgreen:

Yea, I was thinking 600$ This way you gain a lot more than the alternative , and you dont lose that bad :D
TXBullion

Postby NDFarmer » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:33 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:I'll give you a buck for it.. then you won't have to worry about it. :mrgreen:

Thanks Hoard, that's real generous of you. At least I would be getting 50 cents more for it than my wife will get.
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals