Supply Starting To Dry Up

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Supply Starting To Dry Up

Postby Engineer » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:18 am

cheeple wrote:this is my problem with 90% Dimes, I bought about 20 of them, Morgans and they charge spot price, but spot price is for 99.9% silver so I lose money right off the top, secondly these morgans are paper thin and have lost alot of the weight they originally had, so even less silver. Anybody else got a problem with this?

90% does a pretty good job at carrying a 10% premium simply because it came from the US mint...but you do have to be careful of extremely worn coins. Morgans do an even better job of carrying a premium, but I'm guessing you're referring to Barber dimes rather than Morgan Dollars?

If you have some worn Barber dimes, the current high premiums on 90% present a good opportunity to sell them to APMEX for nearly spot price based on the .715 standard rather than their actual silver content.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby m21221 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:32 am

Speaking of silver on Ebay I managed to pick up $127 in silver for $94 (a couple of pre 65 proof sets and Canadian silver dollars). Plus some wheats, indian heads and other junk foreign money thrown in the same lot. This guy poorly photographed and described the stuff and figured it would go cheap. It's definitely much harder to find deals on the bay than it was over the summer.
m21221
Penny Sorter Member

Postby 93_Confirmed » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:32 pm

Are you guys still seeing shortages of 90%? I called two LCS and they both only have a dollar or two of FV left. Guess I'm going to have to start buying online. What stores are best for small quantities of 90%?
"When you place an order at NWT, they write it down on a slip of paper and hand it to a guy with a pickaxe who rides off to the Pan American mine on a donkey". - natsb88
93_Confirmed
Penny Collector Member

Postby Oakair » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:49 pm

Check JobIII over in buy it now...he has some small lots up?
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ZenOps » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:19 pm

News in Canada: One of the Big 5 banks here just started selling selling bullion silver and gold as well as the maples.

http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/products-s ... 00-00-1066

They do have the 400 ounce gold bars for sale (I'm assuming its a standard LBMA good delivery bar). There does not appear to be a maximum limit per day on gold or silver, but there is a minimum order of 25 ounces of maple silvers.

So... I'm guessing no shortage here.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:33 pm

ZenOps wrote:News in Canada: One of the Big 5 banks here just started selling selling bullion silver and gold as well as the maples.

http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/products-s ... 00-00-1066

They do have the 400 ounce gold bars for sale (I'm assuming its a standard LBMA good delivery bar). There does not appear to be a maximum limit per day on gold or silver, but there is a minimum order of 25 ounces of maple silvers.

So... I'm guessing no shortage here.

the topic of this thread refers specifically to 90% starting to dry up.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby ZenOps » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:55 pm

My LCS was mentioning that a lot of 80% was shaken loose in the last run up and down.

They melt most every non MintState circulation coin in Canada that had a mintage year of 2 million or more. Local guy always says he is torn whether to send a 1957 UNC 50-cent piece in for melt, or to keep them (50 cents usually come in UNC rolls and not individual coins.)

Its also worth mentioning that the Canada mint opened up the vault and is selling the only circulation 90% gold coins that were specifically made for Canada 1912 to 1914 - for barely above spot.

http://www.mint.ca/store/product/1912.j ... lang=en_CA The 1914 $5 gold with a mintage of 31,122.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:36 pm

http://kingworldnews.com/kingworldnews/KWN_DailyWeb/Entries/2013/1/19_As_Silver_Shortage_Intensifies%2C_More_Retail_Products_Disappear.html

"One thing I would point out here about the 90% coins (junk silver), the first 3 decades of my being in this business it was a staple. Eric, 20 years ago if somebody wanted 100 bags (of junk silver) I could have filled that order with one phone call to any one of five places.

Now, if somebody said, ‘I want 100 bags of 90%,’ there is no wholesaler that will fill the order. And there is no dealer that will short the coins to us (lock in the transaction price with a hedge) on a deal like that, hoping the coins will come in at a later date because they don’t know what the premium on these coins is going to be.

So I see the 90% coins continuing to have a solid premium until silver reaches probably the $40 range, and some members of the public will start to turn loose of their coins. But so far, what we’re seeing in the premium action suggests that (silver) is going into short supply. Egon (von Greyerz also) talked about how any time a quantity of (physical) silver shows up, somebody buys it, and understandably so.”
beauanderos

Postby barrytrot » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:54 pm

I would be interested to know how often he gets a phone call order for over $2 million dollars.
barrytrot

Postby beauanderos » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:00 pm

barrytrot wrote:I would be interested to know how often he gets a phone call order for over $2 million dollars.

There's lots of buyers that size (think funds)... but they're limited to gold purchasing because the silver just isn't there anymore. And, I imagine, he was employing hyperbole for effect... the same statement would still hold true if you were searching for TEN bags. :shifty:
beauanderos

Postby barrytrot » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:24 pm

Funds buying 90%? I am skeptical that there are ANY of those. Please point them out to me if you know of even 1.

Funds buying .999 silver YES, lots of those.
barrytrot

Postby beauanderos » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:31 pm

barrytrot wrote:Funds buying 90%? I am skeptical that there are ANY of those. Please point them out to me if you know of even 1.

Funds buying .999 silver YES, lots of those.

Barry, you're reading between the lines of what I'm writing, but you're reading the wrong lines. I'm saying there are silver buyers of that size and volume... but they are forced to buy .999 (if at all) because the bulk 90% purchases just are not possible. I know for a fact one of the largest, steadiest buyers on this forum funnels 90% into investment accounts for clients, but I am not going to name him unless he cares to identify himself.
beauanderos

Postby barrytrot » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:35 pm

I don't think they are "forced" (at least not most of them). I think at that level they prefer PURE silver vs. impure. There is reason people melt 90% to make .999 you know :)

But if you are positive based on your knowledge that there are 2 million dollar buyers of 90% I will bend to your knowledge. I'm surprised.
barrytrot

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:42 pm

There are multi-million dollar buyers of cents and nickels. Why would 90% silver be different, if not far more so?

Some 90% will get melted, but usually the lower quality worn stuff. The better 90% is well, better not melted.

As there is a reason for .999, there is also very specific reason for 90%.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby barrytrot » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:35 pm

Touche, you are absolutely and obviously right 68Camaro.

I stand corrected.
barrytrot

Postby SilverDragon72 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:00 pm

SilverDragon72 wrote:
93_Confirmed wrote:I've heard these same reports in other coin forums and I'm starting to believe the hype. Might pick up a big chunk this week at my LCS just in case the supply really is drying up.

If all goes well next week, I may pick up a nice little stash myself :thumbup:

I added a handful of quarters...and a few DIMES to my 90 stack! ;)
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby plus1hdcp » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:40 am

I have actually been keen eye on fleebay and last night won 2 lots of 40% - 1 lot for $0.04 and the other for $0.25 above spot with delivery included. Not as good as when I find them searching but I am happy to add them to the stack.
plus1hdcp
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ZenOps » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:10 pm

There is a simple way to make sure that investors only go .999 or .9999

Make anything not .999 or .9999 taxable, like Canada. So that every 80% or 90% silver transaction automatically becomes soured.

Not that its right, but thats probably all that would be needed. India just moved their tax rate from 4% to 6% for gold. All Europe would have to do is move it to 30% on purchase.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:30 pm

ZenOps wrote:There is a simple way to make sure that investors only go .999 or .9999

Make anything not .999 or .9999 taxable, like Canada. So that every 80% or 90% silver transaction automatically becomes soured.

Not that its right, but thats probably all that would be needed. India just moved their tax rate from 4% to 6% for gold. All Europe would have to do is move it to 30% on purchase.

But why? Why would they care, or it matter? 80% and 90% isn't made anymore, and there are relatively smaller amounts of it than .999. .999 is what they will care about.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals