What can you expect sorting dimes?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

What can you expect sorting dimes?

Postby mbailey1234 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:38 am

I have a Ryedale that I use on pennies. Been thinking about getting a dime wheel but didn't know if it would be worth the time. One of my local banks had 7 bags off of their coin counter sitting there today. He said they haven't shipped any out for over a year so they must not get huge amounts but still???? I was tempted but since I didn't have a wheel I passed. Since I wouldn't have to open all the rolls would it be time efficient to sort these? What would be a typical outcome on customer returns?
mbailey1234
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: What can you expect sorting dimes?

Postby BlackOut » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:57 am

I've done a couple hundred boxes and average about 1 per box. Bags are typically a little better, probably around 6-8 per $1000 bag.
BlackOut
Penny Collector Member

Postby henrysmedford » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:47 am

What about buy a bag and edge sort it and see how it comes out. I have a Ryedale but edge sorting is more fun on dime is like panning for gold.
Last edited by henrysmedford on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby slickeast » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:53 am

You could ask if you could search them and bring them back in bags. This only works if you have a GREAT relationship with the bank. I only did this once with a canvas bag of halves a bank had. Just edge sort them. Do one bag at a time and replace the silver you pull with clad.

If you are lucky and get 5 per bag that is $3.50 face worth about $80
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NHsorter » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:01 am

I use my Ryedale for dimes when I can get bags. The machine chews through them fast. I edge sort if I get CWR, but bags go way faster with the Ryedale. It works out great for me. Just swap out the wheel, swap out the compare coin, and make a slight adjustment on the comparator. I have the spot marked on the dial so I don't need to fine tune each time. Go get em! Might even be able to fill up a silver roll if the bags are good.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby deacon » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:49 am

Edge sorting on dimes is fine. Those Canadian nickels and dimes annoy me though. I see the nice grey shine, and then I get disappointed. I average 1.4 dimes a box.
deacon
Penny Collector Member

Postby PolishPunisher » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:36 am

Looking for dimes is fun. I edge sort and find almost exactly one per box.
PolishPunisher
Penny Pincher Member

Postby creshka46 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:00 pm

I just picked up a box of dimes which I haven't done in a LONG time.

I found 3 silver roosies.

Wasn't expecting that.......
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals