Copy

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Copy

Postby scyther » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:20 pm

I was searching half dollars today and found a plastic half dollar with the word "copy" on it. This happened to me one time with pennies and I found it amusing. But with halves, it's pretty annoying. Especially since it was a skunk box (third in a row). So I lost 50 cents on that one.

Here's an idea. Since there's apparently a legal requirement to put the the word "copy" in big obnoxious letters on a play coin made of plastic that no one would think was real anyway, why not make it so they have to be a slightly different size than real coins, so, you know, you can't ACTUALLY USE THEM AT THE BANK. Well, congrats to whoever had the audacity to try that, I guess. I won't risk losing a dump bank trying to pass it on.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Copy

Postby OtusLotus » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:28 am

Nah.... I would spend it at McDonalds!

Seriously, though that really sux.
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Robarons » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:36 am

Kids play with the fake plastic pennies thru quarters as toys.

But a plastic half? That must have been from a teller learning set. They make sets of coins and bills that are fake so tellers can learn how to count and deal with currency. So they have to be as much as like normal currency as possible so they can learn. So thats why they use exact size and colors. Plastic Halves and dollars arent found in kids playsets the last time I checked

Bank supply websites sell these sets. Fun fact- it cost MORE to buy fake plastic pennies then REAL pennies- its like 1.7 cents a piece to buy the plastic ones I think
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:25 am

Robarons wrote:Fun fact- it cost MORE to buy fake plastic pennies then REAL pennies- its like 1.7 cents a piece to buy the plastic ones I think

Yep. In this day and age (due to inflation) you may as well just let your kids play with real coins.

I said it had big obnoxious letters, but I must have been thinking of others I found. It's actually fairly small, though noticeable at first glance. So I think you're right about it being to train tellers. Seems they could still just use real money though, unless it's a "homework assignment"...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals