Are Cleaned 90% a NO-NO for Stackers?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Are Cleaned 90% a NO-NO for Stackers?

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:38 am

Now I know the Numismatic value of a collectible coin goes WAY down when you clean them. But for Stackers/Hoarders, does a cleaned run of the milll 90% coin make it less appealing or worth less? It shouldn't bring down it's Silver value should it? Does anyone here shy away from cleaned 90%? Because in my experience I can usually get a better deal on cleaned 90%. I would love to hear some opinions on this. Thanks

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Are Cleaned 90% a NO-NO for Stackers?

Postby wheeler_dealer » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:51 am

IMO there are two types of collector. Those who are building a collection of quality or numismatic and those stacking ounces. Whether for barter or wealth preservation the latter should stack quantity based on best price. Cleaned coins cheap are always welcome in my pile.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:01 am

For my own stack, I tend to favor higher quality 90% for the simple reason that it will sell faster than run of the mill junk silver.

"Harshly" cleaned 90% isn't quite as liquid as non-cleaned, so it would be the last to sell when prices are high...but if you can get a decent discount on it to start with, you'll have more ounces in your stack. Worst case scenario is you'd need to sell it to a refiner rather than one of us, so it would probably be a good idea to ask for a 10% discount on harshly cleaned/polished coins to cover your refining fees.
Last edited by Engineer on Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:03 am

The only 90% that I clean is 64 halves, and the only method I use for that is the electrolytic method which is non abrasive and leaves them with the same surface finish (scratches or not) as the surface inherently has. The result is very appealing and for this particular coin enhances rather than detracts from value, at least for me. Otherwise I leave 90% as-is but prefer cleaner coin than badly tarnished, all other things being equal. I do NOT like mechanically / abrasively cleaned coin.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Morsecode » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:09 am

68Camaro wrote:The only 90% that I clean is 64 halves, and the only method I use for that is the electrolytic method which is non abrasive and leaves them with the same surface finish (scratches or not) as the surface inherently has. The result is very appealing and for this particular coin enhances rather than detracts from value, at least for me. Otherwise I leave 90% as-is but prefer cleaner coin than badly tarnished, all other things being equal. I do NOT like mechanically / abrasively cleaned coin.

Agree. Don't be afraid to clean the common stuff.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby DuckTales253 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:29 am

wheeler_dealer wrote:IMO there are two types of collector. Those who are building a collection of quality or numismatic and those stacking ounces. Whether for barter or wealth preservation the latter should stack quantity based on best price. Cleaned coins cheap are always welcome in my pile.

I have been leaning more toward a quality numismatic collection as of late, but when it comes to my stack, I will buy cleaned coins. Unless the cleaning was done with a wire brush, the coins usually don't look that bad. As far as reselling, to most untrained eyes, a shiny coin is more appealing than a dark one, even though a professional would know the shine is unnatural. The steep discount you can get on such coins makes it worthwhile.
"No man is poor who can do what he likes to do once in a while!" - Scrooge McDuck
DuckTales253
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Hawkeye » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:59 am

I don't mind cleaned coins for the stack. You don't have to fight the numi collectors for them and, while they're sometimes not quite as pretty, they can usually be had for a bit of a discount. All silver is welcome.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby db23 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:19 am

CLINT-THE-GREAT wrote:But for Stackers/Hoarders, does a cleaned run of the milll 90% coin make it less appealing or worth less? It shouldn't bring down it's Silver value should it?

Cleaned run of the mill 90% are going to be in the same pile as regular circulated junk silver, because they are the same thing. You're not going to hurt the value because the value is in the silver content.
db23
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:06 am

Yup. it's still silver. If you can get it at a discount because it has been cleaned, I would do it.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:15 am

Yep, silver is silver when it comes to stackin'....I have pulled some really nasty looking halves...after a quick whiz they look much better.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:50 am

Ive never had a problem selling cleaned coins, only heavily worn ones. I cleaned a lot of 90% in the past. One thing I will say is I wouldnt clean worn coins to well. They end up looking horrible imo. The worn areas becoming very shiny. This was more pronounced with liberty halves in my experience. This was really my wifes doing. She couldnt stand the idea of our stash being dirty. Luckily I kept my higher end stuff with deep patinas from her until she gave up on that idea.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:33 pm

I recently cleaned some quarters I bought. Not because they looked particularly bad, but because they smelled bad. Not a terrible smell, but certainly unappealing. I couldn't quite place it. Maybe like baking soda. First I put them in a bowl with warm soapy water and let them soak for a few minutes, them rubbed them with my fingers. They still smelled a bit after that, so I boiled them in a pot for a few minutes. That removed pretty much all of the smell. Does that count as harsh abrasive cleaning?

Treetop wrote:One thing I will say is I wouldnt clean worn coins to well. They end up looking horrible imo. The worn areas becoming very shiny. This was more pronounced with liberty halves in my experience.

I agree. I did that to two really worn liberty halves (which, in hindsight, I probably shouldn't have even bought for full price they're so worn) and it really accentuates how worn they are. One of them looked so terrible anyway I decided to carve the Chinese character for silver in it with a knife for fun! :thumbup: Yeah that might not have been a good idea...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:09 pm

This was a good question! I have watched videos about cleaning coins. Most people say that cleaning common 90 percent silver is ok, obviously avoid any numismatic ones. The technique I have seen the most of is using baking soda, hot water and aluminum foil. It seems to do the trick, eliminating most surface tarnish, and yet not hurting the coin at all.

I have started acquiring 1964 quarters! I like the look of them and most I've seen are in decent shape.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:29 pm

I collect both. Low grade 90% coins and numismatic coins. I actually look for cleaned coins at the LCS because they sell them at a discounted price. Especially Morgans.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:15 am

SilverDragon72 wrote:This was a good question! ... The technique I have seen the most of is using baking soda, hot water and aluminum foil. It seems to do the trick, eliminating most surface tarnish, and yet not hurting the coin at all.

What is this baking soda/h2o/aluminum foil concoction you speak of? Is it safe? What is the up/downsides to using it? Will it still be seen as a "Cleaned" coin?

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:51 am

In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:08 pm

CLINT-THE-GREAT wrote:
SilverDragon72 wrote:This was a good question! ... The technique I have seen the most of is using baking soda, hot water and aluminum foil. It seems to do the trick, eliminating most surface tarnish, and yet not hurting the coin at all.

What is this baking soda/h2o/aluminum foil concoction you speak of? Is it safe? What is the up/downsides to using it? Will it still be seen as a "Cleaned" coin?

-The Great

I haven't cleaned any coins yet. This technique was just one way of cleaning old silver. I don't know the pros/cons of doing it. I'm inclined to agree that silver is silver as far "junk" goes. Unless it is a numismatic coin, I say why not clean them if you feel the need to do so. I just looked for cleaning silver on YouTube to find it.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Thogey » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:18 pm

Why go through the hassle?

Is there a premiun on cleaned junk silver? Unless you trying to misrepresent the coins, I don't see the point.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby scyther » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:54 pm

Thogey wrote:Why go through the hassle?

Is there a premiun on cleaned junk silver? Unless you trying to misrepresent the coins, I don't see the point.

Some of us have no lives and spend an inordinate amount of time looking through our silver. It's more fun when it's shiny (and doesn't smell bad).
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:21 pm

scyther wrote:
Thogey wrote:Why go through the hassle?

Some of us have no lives and spend an inordinate amount of time looking through our silver. It's more fun when it's shiny (and doesn't smell bad).

Bingo! I only use it for 64 JFK non-proofs, and sterling jewelry. (Bought a sterling bracelet from daviscfad that my wife (at first) stuck her nose up at. Ran it through the ultrasonic cleaner, then this method for tarnish removal, and it suddenly popped. She now loves it - one of her favorites.
68Camaro

Postby hags » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:16 am

CLINT-THE-GREAT wrote:

-The Great

The "concoction" polishes the coin surface to a bright metal finish and removes the coin's luster and/or patina...
Safe?..Not sure what type of "safe" you're asking about....
Upside?....Your cleaned coins will look nice and polished...
Downside?....your clean coins will forever be cleaned and any present or future numi value will be lost....also, many numi buyers hold reservations when buying raw "numi" coins from a seller who's known to clean coins....
It would be a cleaned coin and is easy to recognize...

hags
Last edited by hags on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
hags
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:20 am

Incorrect - it doesn't "polish" anything. It simply converts silver sulfide to hydrogen sulfide gas and loose silver which wipes off. It leaves the fundamental silver metal untouched, doesn't change the underlying surface at all.
68Camaro

Postby hags » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:49 am

68Camaro wrote:Incorrect - it doesn't "polish" anything. It simply converts silver sulfide to hydrogen sulfide gas and loose silver which wipes off. It leaves the fundamental silver metal untouched, doesn't change the underlying surface at all.

If you "wipe off" a coin that's been in baking soda and water then you have polished the coin...1 wipe or multiple, it's polished and has been cleaned...
The underlying surface is void of mint luster and aged patina..how can you say it doesn't change?....

hags
hags
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:11 pm

It's not a baking soda water slurry that is used as a polish - the baking soda is dissolved in the water at a rate of less than a teaspoon per quart and merely serves as an electrolyte to allow electrons to flow.

It's not a polish because one can put a mint state coin in the solution, remove it, pat it dry, and it will be completely unchanged.

That said, this is NOT intended for numi coins (and hasn't be presented as such - you're on your own there) and/or toned coins in which the corrosion (for that is what it is - corrosion) is viewed as desirable.
68Camaro

Postby Sterling Silver » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:49 pm

I'm trying to anticipate who I will be selling or bartering with in the next 20-30 years (if this system lasts that long). I am assuming I can exclude the hard core stackers, who I believe will be motivated to either hold or sell rather than aquire as price goes up. I think that someone new to silver will go for the pretty coin, regardless of the damage that may have been done to it's value to get it that way. There will always be the smart person how knows better, but given our society, percentage wise, I'm not counting on him/her.
I try to go for middle of the road stuff. Meaning I'll pay a little more for an aesteically pleasing coin, rather than getting a slick for $1 less. I know I will never please everyone, and I can be 100% off on my logic, but this is how I approach stacking.
"I can tell your fancy, I can tell your plain.
You give something up for everything you gain.
Since every pleasures' got an edge of pain,
Pay for your ticket and don't complain." Bob Dylan
Sterling Silver
Penny Sorter Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals