What kind of silver do you favor?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

What kind of silver do you favor?

Postby njo.electric » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:32 am

What is your preference for stacking silver?
Do you prefer .999 generic bars and rounds, .999 government minted coins, 90%, etc..

I like getting different opinions because there are times I just can't make my friggin mind what I want to stack. Lately I've been stacking the Canadian Wildlife series coins, hoping they will appreciate so I can sell them and re-buy more silver such as 90%. All of my newer silver additions are just 90% junk silver with no preference on condition - whatever I can get for cheap.

I also tried hunting halves in Utah when I first moved here from West Virginia. The first bank I went to, I got the "you're not a coin collector, are you?" and I tried not to laugh. Hunting coin rolls for silver in Utah sucks anyways..so I don't even waste my time with it anymore.

Nick
Lineman by trade, crazy by nature. Student for now..

Piss on worthless fiat toilet paper, I'd rather have METAL any day.
njo.electric

Re: What kind of silver do you favor?

Postby Engineer » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:58 am

My favorite silver is 90% at $1.40/oz.

Other than that, I favor higher quality 90% when its available at a decent price.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Hawkeye » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:07 am

I doubt if I'll be much help - I have the same trouble. Sometimes I lean toward 90% (or even 40% and war nics), other times I lean toward the numi .999 like the Canadian wildlife series or the Perth mint Lunar series. And then there are times that I just like the old classic ASE and Maples. If it's made of silver, I want it in my "collection."
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:26 am

When I first started Stacking 6-8 months ago, I didn't know where to look or where to find a decent price so I just bought the cheapest Generic rounds off ebay and such places. Now that I know good places to buy online I really try to stick with Government Issued rounds as well as 90%....but I've also got little bags or 1g and 5g bars. But like everyone else says, if its cheap enough I'll buy any AG.

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby joemac » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:47 am

I like to get free silver and search it out. Traded someone on here buffalo rounds for about 1.5 extra ounces of junk Canadian silver. For me I don't care that the buffalos are nicer. More ounces is more ounces any way you slice it. Bought a set of Treasure Coins of the Carribean for way below melt off ebay and got another ounce and a half or so for free. I always try to buy below melt. And most people will do it if you ask. Have gotten several good deals on this forum. In my Silver Saver account if you refer someone they give you 50% of their premium. So 50% of 6% or something like that. A small amount each month but it is enough to cover storage fees and delivery fees.

I use Silver Saver as stated, but when I take delivery I have been getting buffalo rounds. So, I guess I prefer the private mints. As long as it is well marked and widely recognized I'll take it.
joemac
Penny Sorter Member

Postby silverflake » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:25 am

How about a sampling when you buy? I am a guy on a budget and usually can't buy until I have scraped together $300 or so. So I will buy a silver Maple Leaf or two then round it all off with some 90%. I love Mercury dimes....

But like a few guys here have said, when you get down to the crux of the biscuit, silver is silver. I will buy anything if it's cheap enough!

Keep stacking!
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby RedRockGirl » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:40 am

njo.electric wrote:What is your preference for stacking silver?
Do you prefer .999 generic bars and rounds, .999 government minted coins, 90%, etc..

I like getting different opinions because there are times I just can't make my friggin mind what I want to stack. Lately I've been stacking the Canadian Wildlife series coins, hoping they will appreciate so I can sell them and re-buy more silver such as 90%. All of my newer silver additions are just 90% junk silver with no preference on condition - whatever I can get for cheap.

I also tried hunting halves in Utah when I first moved here from West Virginia. The first bank I went to, I got the "you're not a coin collector, are you?" and I tried not to laugh. Hunting coin rolls for silver in Utah sucks anyways..so I don't even waste my time with it anymore.

Nick

I'm glad I'm not the only one having troubles hunting in Utah. I've had a little luck with dimes, but halves just suck.
RedRockGirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:50 am

Do Utah-ans just appreciate silver more (therefore leave less of it to reach circulation)?
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby RedRockGirl » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:55 am

Utah-ans are hoarders by nature. :lol: :lol:
RedRockGirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby natsb88 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:22 pm

"Brand Name" 999. Engelhard, Johnson-Matthey, National, etc.

I always find it ironic that people put so much credence in government-issued bullion while simultaneously citing mistrust in and mishandling of finances by the government as one of their primary reasons for stacking :?
natsb88

Postby njo.electric » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:44 pm

68Camaro wrote:Do Utah-ans just appreciate silver more (therefore leave less of it to reach circulation)?

If they did, I would have paid for my tuition with my stack :D I personally haven't seen a single person pay for anything with silver. I talked with one of the owners of an LCS here in Provo and he said he hasn't heard of many stories of people using silver to pay for things such as groceries, bills, etc.

And I think Utahn's just hoard silver more, but don't want to admit it :D :D

njo.electric

Postby njo.electric » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:47 pm

RedRockGirl wrote:I'm glad I'm not the only one having troubles hunting in Utah. I've had a little luck with dimes, but halves just suck.

RedRockGirl -

Where at in Utah are you located? I'm in Provo and I never had any luck finding silver in dimes and halves, so I gave up. I also had pretty lame percentages with copper cents too, so I put the sorting on hold for awhile. My bank now charges anyone a 10% fee whenever $200 or more is deposited through the coin machine. Stupid apes.

On a side note - picked up an APMEX 1 ounce bar and this thing sure is purdy :D

natsb - is A-Mark a name brand silver company too? I've got a couple of rounds from them.

njo.electric

Postby natsb88 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:57 pm

njo.electric wrote:
RedRockGirl wrote:I'm glad I'm not the only one having troubles hunting in Utah. I've had a little luck with dimes, but halves just suck.

RedRockGirl -

Where at in Utah are you located? I'm in Provo and I never had any luck finding silver in dimes and halves, so I gave up. I also had pretty lame percentages with copper cents too, so I put the sorting on hold for awhile. My bank now charges anyone a 10% fee whenever $200 or more is deposited through the coin machine. Stupid apes.

On a side note - picked up an APMEX 1 ounce bar and this thing sure is purdy :D

natsb - is A-Mark a name brand silver company too? I've got a couple of rounds from them.

Nothing wrong with A-Mark. The older chunky style bars fetch a nice premium. Sunshine is still cranking out the rounds so they sell more or less as any other generic silver, but are easily recognizable.
natsb88

Postby Calamitous » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:18 pm

natsb88 wrote:I always find it ironic that people put so much credence in government-issued bullion while simultaneously citing mistrust in and mishandling of finances by the government as one of their primary reasons for stacking :?

Heh, I've been thinking exactly this for a few weeks now.

In any case, I'm still stacking whatever I can get my grubby little mitts on... :D
Calamitous

Postby Hawkeye » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:35 pm

Calamitous wrote:
natsb88 wrote:I always find it ironic that people put so much credence in government-issued bullion while simultaneously citing mistrust in and mishandling of finances by the government as one of their primary reasons for stacking :?

In any case, I'm still stacking whatever I can get my grubby little mitts on... :D

The more I think about this whole question, the more I think that the kind of silver I favor is the kind that is A) available and B) in my limited price range. :)
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:18 pm

Calamitous wrote:

I'm certainly not going to stand up for our current government. But as far as government agencies, while there are few things the government does well, some things - especially those which are constitutionally supported - it does well enough at the lower levels to create a desirable product, and minting coin is one of them. All the 90% that exists (apart from new proofs) was created when we were on the gold standard and on top of our game so to speak, certainly at a far less incompetent time than we've seen for most of my life. And the three leading currently minted bullion coins of the US Mint are highly professional repeats of the three most beautiful (arguably) historial coins ever created by the US Mint. I like them all.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Thogey » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:25 pm

ASEs. You can always move them quick if you need to.

I always try to trade up to ASEs.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby jasmatk » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:36 pm

I prefer to stack 999 rounds/bars.But I also buy 90% just becouse its the cool thing to do.
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rastatodd » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:38 pm

I used to be into the high premium stuff - Aussie Kooks, Lunars, Koalas and the Canadian critter rounds. But the prices are quite steep so I took another approach to stacking. I'm a speculator. Gathering anything with a low premuim like Golden State Mint Buffalo's, Silvertowne Buffalo's and some ASE when I can find them with a reasonable premium. Used to gather on eBay when I couldn't find something here on Realcent but the premiums have turned stupid there.
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby johnbrickner » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:56 pm

Agree with Rasta on the e-bay premium, mad stupid.

Otherwise, I'm just a silver whore. I like it all save the high premium stuff. Actually, I like the high premium stuff but just cant get my self to buy it. Foreign, domestic, art, .999, graded, dirty junk, rounds, bars, BU, AU, slicks, holed, jewelry, coin jewelry, It just doesn't matter.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby SilverDragon72 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:43 pm

Well, I first started out in silver with .999 SAE proofs from the US Mint. Along with that, I began to get my silver in other forms, such as .999 generic rounds and the occasional bar. I collect at least one silver Harmonic, Libertad, Maple Leaf, Britannia and the Kookaburra! So I get some premium silver too . :)

However, my latest thing has been fractional silver (as well as everything above). Some of my ounces are broken down into 1/4 troy ounce rounds.

AND NOW.....I've broken down my fractional fix even further and began getting 90% 1964 Quarters and Dimes. Gotta say, I'm really beginning to enjoy how my stack is growing in the silver column! :thumbup:

So you can see that I'm a fan of....any kind of silver! Variety is the best way to go, IMO ;)

PS: I do own an interesting looking bar....from someone named....Rodebaugh?? :shh:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby wheeler_dealer » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:44 am

Free and cheap is most desirable,however getting maximum weight for your money will help grow your wealth quickly. For me a little U.S. 90% is preffered. After all it is easily recognized by majority of American people as coin change thus limiting cap gain punishment. Just my opinion.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals