Figuring out dealer FV

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Figuring out dealer FV

Postby blatant » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:59 am

What is the equation that is used to figure out FV. I usually just check coin flation and call a bunch of dealers.
blatant

Re: Figuring out dealer FV

Postby MO-SILVER! » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:30 am

I divide spot by 2.7646 and that tells me what a 90% half is worth. Multiply by 2 for face value. It might be a penny or so off but it works for me..
Formerly spartan_b88 on old forum.

"For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?" Matthew 16:26
MO-SILVER!
Penny Pincher Member

Postby highroller4321 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:50 pm

Lets say spot silver is $30. Take $30 times .715 and you get $21.45 . So every $1 face value silver = $21.45. You always use .715 as your multiplier for what dealer prices are.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby tebam11 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:33 pm

FV???????
tebam11

Postby silverflake » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:15 pm

Um, I realize I am fairly new to this site, but isn't FV short for FACE VALUE? If it is and you need to know face value, I usually turn to the reverse of the chosen coin and look at what it says. I am not trying to be a wise guy. Perhaps I have misinterprted what is meant by asking what FV means. Educate me if so. Hope this helps.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Market Harmony » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:23 pm

silverflake wrote:Um, I realize I am fairly new to this site, but isn't FV short for FACE VALUE? If it is and you need to know face value, I usually turn to the reverse of the chosen coin and look at what it says. I am not trying to be a wise guy. Perhaps I have misinterprted what is meant by asking what FV means. Educate me if so. Hope this helps.

90% silver US coins trade as a multiple to their face value... Spot price of silver determines the price of the coin. As highroller stated, .715 x spot silver will equal the silver value per face value (FV)... Using $30 spot, then $21.45 x face value equals silver value of the coin... a dime is $2.14 each, quarter is $5.36 each, half is $10.73 each

Dealer prices range all over the place... some are a percentage of spot, some are a fixed value per face. Bottom line, it is what the buyer and seller agree to that determines transaction price
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby silverflake » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:25 pm

Many thanks Marketharmony. The educational info on this site is incredible.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby MO-SILVER! » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:46 pm

My number gives me the coinflation numbers which is what alot of people seem to like. Im small time though and it's more of a bench mark to go by. Most dealers won't pay exactly spot for junk silver and will charge a little over to sell it.
Formerly spartan_b88 on old forum.

"For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?" Matthew 16:26
MO-SILVER!
Penny Pincher Member

Postby blatant » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:59 pm

thx all for the info, i guess i'm just asking this incorrectly.

what determines or how do dealers decide what to charge us for silver that we are tying to sell. 17x, 18x, 18.4x , 19x etc. do they just throw a dart?
blatant

Postby fasteddy » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:36 pm

...arrow roulette? maybe?
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Corsair » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:59 pm

blatant wrote:thx all for the info, i guess i'm just asking this incorrectly.

what determines or how do dealers decide what to charge us for silver that we are tying to sell. 17x, 18x, 18.4x , 19x etc. do they just throw a dart?

Like Market Harmony said, some dealers pay a certain percent of the spot price every day, no matter what the spot is. So if spot is 20x face, and they always pay 90% of spot, he'd pay you 18x that day.

Other dealers just pick a good profit margin for themselves. They'll say, as long as silver is between $26-$30, I'll pay 18x face. It all depends on how much they feel they can comfortably make from reselling the coins.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby blatant » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:41 pm

Corsair wrote:
blatant wrote:Other dealers just pick a good profit margin for themselves. They'll say, as long as silver is between $26-$30, I'll pay 18x face. It all depends on how much they feel they can comfortably make from reselling the coins.

thanks figured it may be something like this.
blatant

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals