1903O Morgan w/ Pictures

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

1903O Morgan w/ Pictures

Postby hags » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:37 am

Weight is right, non-magnetic, rings like silver, and LCS says it's legit, but has been cleaned sometime in the past...photos don't really show the sheen on the coins surface....
Wondering what to offer for a cleaned key date Morgan?

thanks....hags
Attachments
img017.jpg
img017.jpg (111.47 KiB) Viewed 471 times
img015.jpg
img015.jpg (101.15 KiB) Viewed 471 times
hags
Penny Pincher Member

Re: 1903O Morgan w/ Pictures

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:00 am

2013 Redbook lists a EF at $310 and a VF $340......what is the price tag on it?

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:28 pm

Hags, Do not buy this coin.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:34 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Hags, Do not buy this coin.

For all us wannabe's out here... what do ya see, Doc?
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:05 pm

OneBiteAtATime wrote:
Rodebaugh wrote:Hags, Do not buy this coin.

For all us wannabe's out here... what do ya see, Doc?

Going to post some photos. ;)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:26 pm

Lets do a side by side of the coin to a known authentic 03-O.
Attachments
img017.jpg
img017.jpg (267.58 KiB) Viewed 364 times
img015.jpg
img015.jpg (263.71 KiB) Viewed 364 times
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby hags » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:33 pm

Thanks Doc...I'm so glad I waited for you're reply...and I'm glad I messed with my scanner last night to get good pictures....but I'm mostly glad for your sharp eye and expert coin knowledge.....

thanks again.....hags
hags
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Thogey » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:33 pm

Hags, Please let us know what happens when you bring this comparison to your LCS.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:35 pm

Wow, Doc. I saw the stars, but wow.

I also noticed the "M" at the cut of her neckline by the lowest lock of hair looked light rather than dark.

I've always wondered why the counterfitters don't just do semi and true numi coins out of silver rather than a cheaper metal to evade much of the detection. Do you think that may be the situation here?
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby hags » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:08 pm

OneBiteAtATime wrote:I've always wondered why the counterfitters don't just do semi and true numi coins out of silver rather than a cheaper metal to evade much of the detection. Do you think that may be the situation here?

On that thought, do you think this fake could still be silver?....It weighs right....

hags
hags
Penny Pincher Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:09 pm

hags wrote:
OneBiteAtATime wrote:I've always wondered why the counterfitters don't just do semi and true numi coins out of silver rather than a cheaper metal to evade much of the detection. Do you think that may be the situation here?

On that thought, do you think this fake could still be silver?....It weighs right....

hags

I've paid my tuition on more than one bad Morgan dollar. The ones I've bought that weighed right were a bit (.5-1 mm) too thick. And while they did "ring", they rang at a higher pitch than the genuine article. More like copper.

Compare it with one you know is good, does it seem to be the same thickness? If your ears are good, can you hear a difference in the pitch of the ring?
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:54 am

Holy Toledo!!

thank you Rodee, for furthering my education. Does this mean, that SOMEWHERE, there's somebody minting these fugazi's?.......and who are the usual suspects. i had always thought it was the 1921 Morgans at risk of Chinese counterfeiting....obviously, it's more expansive than that.

am i wrong?....what gives?
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:29 am

Rodebaugh wrote:Lets do a side by side of the coin to a known authentic 03-O.

That's an EXCELLENT tutorial for the rest of us. Thanks, Doc!
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:51 am

I have seen an older high quality fake complete set (all dates and mints) nicely packaged in a Dansco Album. The original purchase was by mail order and the buyer paid a tidy sum. Not sure who makes them neil, but I can speculate.

A coin dealer friend now owns it and uses it as a educational piece.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby alpacafarmer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:25 am

The Chinese are even faking the slabs now so you even need to look close at certified coins.
alpacafarmer
Penny Collector Member

Postby hags » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:37 am

OneBiteAtATime wrote:I've paid my tuition on more than one bad Morgan dollar. The ones I've bought that weighed right were a bit (.5-1 mm) too thick. And while they did "ring", they rang at a higher pitch than the genuine article. More like copper.

Compare it with one you know is good, does it seem to be the same thickness? If your ears are good, can you hear a difference in the pitch of the ring?

Dang....I already gave the coin back to it's owner...I wish I would have measured the thickness....thanks for the tip...

The pitch of the ring sounded identical to a Peace dollar that I compared it to...but I'm getting older and maybe my hearing isn't what it use to be ....

hags
hags
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals