today's steals - with day THREE!!!!!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

today's steals - with day THREE!!!!!

Postby uthminsta » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:45 am

Went to a couple places today, a coin shop and an antique mall. Got my fingers dirty digging through a nice big brass bowl of mostly junk world coins. And the "bargain" box at the coin shop. Found 11 silver coins from Canada, France, Panama, Portugal, Saudi Arabia, United States.
All told, a little over 3.4 ounces of silver for $65. Yep, that comes to just over $19 per ounce. I WIN. The best deal was the John Adams medal for only $5. :lol: The way I understand it, it's one troy ounce of 900 fine silver.
Anyone know more about the "Republic" silver round?
Last edited by uthminsta on Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: today's steals!

Postby newton7 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:02 am

Nice find!!!
"It is only worth what someone will pay for it."

"Fly low, fly slow and don't make much noise."

my old feed back viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2348
newton7
Penny Pincher Member

Postby scrapper2010 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:43 am

That's awesome. Just curious since I am a newbie how you knew the foreign coins were made of silver.
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby uthminsta » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:51 am

Quick answer: I've been studying world coins for a couple decades now.
More detailed (and more honest) answer: I pulled out all the coins I thought were silver, asked the antique store if they wouldn't mind holding them for me, went home to the in-laws' house a few blocks away, looked them up for their silver content on numismaster.com's 'find my coin' feature, went back and bought the right ones... and ta-daa! But the best deals were on ones I already knew. I just wasn't sure about the Portugal and Saudi Arabia...
uthminsta

Postby scrapper2010 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:04 am

Aha. Thanks for the info! I'm going to have to hit up the antique mall near me. Near enough anyways, about a half hour drive.
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:06 am

It pays to be in the know about world coins and bullion. How much you may ask....about $37 this time.

Good work!
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Pennysaved » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:29 am

Might be worth going to antique stores going out of business in your areas.

I went to a going out of business sale and was able to buy a 1964 JFK half in a 925 bezel and 925 chain for $5. I scrapped the bezel and chain which amounted to a couple dollars of silver and kept the half.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby uthminsta » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:04 am

This antique shop was just like many others: they had stacks of mercury dimes for six bucks each. You just gotta be able to do the math. I ended up putting back several silver coins that had between $1 and $1.75 in silver... the bowl said $2 each.
uthminsta

DAY TWO

Postby uthminsta » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:22 pm

DAY TWO, at another antique shop...
2 war nickels for a buck each
1 mercury dime for $2
and a 1946 Sweden krona for 20 cents. 400 fine, and it has .09 oz silver.
So for $4.50 (after tax), I got .275 oz of silver... or silver for $16.36 an ounce. I WIN AGAIN.
uthminsta

Re: today's steals - WITH DAY TWO!

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:39 pm

well....congrats.....you lit a fire under my hind end to "get out there and see what I can do". So I did.

The score:
uthminsta 2
rodebaugh 0

better luck next time.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Re: today's steals - with day THREE!!!!!

Postby uthminsta » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:31 am

Went back to the coin shop today because they had told me their "foreign coins guy" would be in. He had a LOAD of nice coins. A lot of junk, but some sweet stuff. Anyway, I would like to introduce you to my newest crown:
And the kicker is I got it for MELT. Might not seem that great to you, but it's not often I even see these coins. The price usually reflects quite a bit of numismatic markup. Well, not today.
Also, while I was waiting, I dug around in their Indians box again, and found an 1867 to go with the 1866 I found Monday. Both in that nice semi-key range... and several other nice ones, all for a buck each!
uthminsta

Postby Corsair » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:38 am

I don't know much about foreign coins, but at melt, even I would pick that up. Nice score!
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby smallchange » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:55 am

uthminsta wrote:Went back to the coin shop today because they had told me their "foreign coins guy" would be in. He had a LOAD of nice coins. A lot of junk, but some sweet stuff. Anyway, I would like to introduce you to my newest crown:
And the kicker is I got it for MELT. Might not seem that great to you, but it's not often I even see these coins. The price usually reflects quite a bit of numismatic markup. Well, not today.
Also, while I was waiting, I dug around in their Indians box again, and found an 1867 to go with the 1866 I found Monday. Both in that nice semi-key range... and several other nice ones, all for a buck each!

Honest, that was a sweet deal on the old crown. The rest were good too. I wish I had a place like that to go sorting thru in my area.
smallchange
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Country » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:49 am

Foreign SILVER is a great place to hunt for cheap SILVER. I've been doing some hunting on EBAY myself for good deals. Congrats on that crown at melt - nice... :mrgreen:
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby mr18 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:23 pm

so antique shops are the way to go. all this time i have been going to flea markets
mr18
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals