for those waiting on a pullback

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

for those waiting on a pullback

Postby Market Harmony » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:49 am

What is your strategy?

Are you saving a certain dollar amount?
Are you going to buy at a certain price, or continue to buy on the way to a target price?
What are you going to buy (90%, scrap, .999, ETF's miners?)
Are you going to try to flip for a quick profit?

Just curious as to the thought process and strategy to maximize your holdings' value...
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Re: for those waiting on a pullback

Postby beauanderos » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:20 am

I already have enough bullion. Now I'm looking to optimize my secondary investment, equities, in order to gain more leverage. I own AGQ, but I'm not going to trim that position, just stay with it thru ups and downs as I fully expect the silver price to be multiples of where it now is, and that will be a fine vehicle to carry me to that destination. However, the large cap gold miners have lagged GLD throughout the ascension of gold, so I sold a bit and am buying a basket of junior silver producers/explorers. These will explode when silver lifts off. I looked at the silver miners listed on Kitco's pages, and the stocks followed by Jordan Roy Byrne, and have been picking up a bit here and there, to be buy and hold rather than trading for short term profits. Had I attempted to time SVM or EXK recently, I would have been sidelined in cash still awaiting a pullback. AXU is screaming right now, SLW stalled. SSRI is starting to move, and HL is steady, as is PAAS. CDE has been dead in the water so long I dumped it quite a while ago. I have been looking at rare earth producers (very few of them) and just bought REE on weakness at $7.75. Rare earths have a very interesting story, as China has a monopoly on 97% of their production. A prudent individual will consider raking some profits from gold and silver paper moves, this is where I'm putting mine, rare earths. And what, may we ask Michael, is your own strategy?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby highroller4321 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:37 am

$17 is my pullback target for silver. I would buy 1-10oz bars.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Market Harmony » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:02 pm

beauanderos wrote:And what, may we ask Michael, is your own strategy?

Keep the furnaces hot- buy all that I can and sell all that I can! Price doesn't mean much to me.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby BamaJoe » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:17 pm

Don't worry guys, there WILL be a pullback, Of course it might hit $30 first then pullback to $28. Seriously though in my case it doesn't matter. I'm a buy and hold type of guy. At some future time whether next month or 2 years from now i today's price will seem like a steal.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby MO-SILVER! » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:14 pm

I was just frustrated that my birthday was sept 28 and planned on getting a roll of maples with some
of the money I got. I ended up not being able to afford them Now that it's gone up. I'm just going to
buy a certain $$ amount each week and hedge my bets. If it ever gets down to what I'd perfer so be it, but I'll keep
buying a little here and there til then.. If ever
Formerly spartan_b88 on old forum.

"For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?" Matthew 16:26
MO-SILVER!
Penny Pincher Member

Postby blackrabbit » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:53 pm

If it goes down to 18 I am going to make a few large buys in .999 silver rounds, something pretty like Canadian wolves or Australian rabbits. If it stays here or goes up I am taking some profits with stuff I don't mind letting go that I mostly bought at the 15 dollar or less level. I am now only making small purchases with good deals on numismatic value items and under spot deals that come my way. I buy any percentage silver coins but like the 90%- .999 best!
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby MO-SILVER! » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:58 pm

Oh yeah, I've been mainly buying small lots of 90% off Craigslist for a little below spot and an ounce or two a week of .999... I pay more than these Dealers offering nothing for these coins and less than I would anywhere else.. Win-Win.

"For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?" Matthew 16:26
MO-SILVER!
Penny Pincher Member

Postby misteroman » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:47 pm

MO-SILVER! wrote:Oh yeah, I've been mainly buying small lots of 90% off Craigslist for a little below spot and an ounce or two a week of .999... I pay more than these Dealers offering nothing for these coins and less than I would anywhere else.. Win-Win.

I've had ads on CL for a month and nothing!!!! grrrrrrrr
misteroman

Postby MO-SILVER! » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:55 pm

I don't know what to tell ya! I'm usually inundated with interest at least. Sometimes I
turn them down for both parties.. Driving 45 mins both ways to get a single half isn't worth it for either since I'm not going to lose money doing it. I feel like I get emails from other people who put ads up aswell to see what I pay. I have emailed some before to see what they offer and it's usually pretty low but some make decent offers. I went in a shop today that mentioned they'd pick up any old 90% at... Wait for it... 12x face.

MO-SILVER!
Penny Pincher Member

Postby giddyup99 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:34 pm

I've tried craigslist a couple of times and it has proven to be a bust for me too. Maybe need to be more regular with my ad - it does get buried quite quickly. I haven't bought any silver above $17. Probably see if we get a pullback to the $20 range or so and buy more if it does. And I guess buy more if it doesn't too, just less....lol.
giddyup99

Postby beauanderos » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:38 pm

misteroman wrote:
MO-SILVER! wrote:Oh yeah, I've been mainly buying small lots of 90% off Craigslist for a little below spot and an ounce or two a week of .999... I pay more than these Dealers offering nothing for these coins and less than I would anywhere else.. Win-Win.

I've had ads on CL for a month and nothing!!!! grrrrrrrr
Could this mean, Derek, that either the locals are holding out for higher offers... or they've already sold out? If local supplies are drying up this rapidly, the price will accelerate even faster. Be careful about taking a quick profit... you might not be able to get back in Image
beauanderos

Postby oober » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:02 am

Trading a ton of miners right now. Anyone not in it is going to miss some serious profits. There are some good threads on Kitco.
oober
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:48 am

This wasn't supposed to happen. I bought a bunch Tuesday night. Seems I can't turn the market anymore. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby slickeast » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:19 am

The pullback is TODAY. If you don't believe it, wait till tomorrow and see if is cheaper than today.

it will it a plateau and level off. it will dip a little here and there. I don't think we will see less than 20 again any time soon.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby beauanderos » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:00 am

Over the years, all of us became adjusted to the market creeping higher, then plunging, over and over again. We've become programmed as to our expectations. You need to quit thinking inside that box. The rules have changed. Pullbacks will no longer mean price drops, it will only mean the price is moving sideways or not rising as quickly as on the strong days. Though people will continue to sell into rallies, as they watch the markets move higher and higher without them, they will learn to stop doing that. When the price does stall out a bit due to selling or manipulation, those who have been astounded by the rise will pounce on that temporary weakness and provide a bottom. Now (with competitive worldwide currency devaluation) is not a time when we're likely to see the old pricing patterns of two steps forward and one step back. From here on out it's more likely to be three steps forward, pause... or one step forward, three or four steps forward, pause, etc. Once silver and gold are deemed by the markets to be fairly priced in comparison to worthless fiat currencies, then perhaps you'll see the old paradigms re-emerge... but I don't foresee that happening anytime soon. This prediction is based on human behavior, not on technical or fundamental analysis. :ugeek:
beauanderos

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:45 am

Any comments on $25 silver.....seems like only yesterday we were discusing $24 silver. :roll:

This is getting a bit nuts. :o

Crazy Ray may end up being a silver prophet....at least a silver profit.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby johnbrickner » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:56 am

The strategy is to accumulate. If a pull back in silver prices, buy more. Currently not buying but sorting more. Always continuing the accumulation. If macro to local economics gets better, reevaluate and change if necessary. Untill then, accumulate.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby AGCoinHunter » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:17 am

Rodebaugh wrote:Any comments on $25 silver.....seems like only yesterday we were discusing $24 silver. :roll:

This is getting a bit nuts. :o

Crazy Ray may end up being a silver prophet....at least a silver profit.

May see $25 by the end of this week....
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Metalhead » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:18 am

When I first started buying silver a couple years ago, $25 seemed to be a long shot. And now we are almost there. Hard to resist the urge to sell and then wait for a dip to buy more. But maybe I'll just hold & try to buy more with what little cash I have.
Metalhead

Postby SteelCityCopper » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:42 pm

$0.50 or so and we'll see $25. Chuga-chuga-chuga-chuga CHOO CHOOOO
Jason
- JPM doesn't determine our prices, the market does -
Steel City Copper
http://www.steelcitycopper.com
SteelCityCopper
Penny Pincher Member

Postby davycoppitt » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:17 pm

I am selling all my sterling soon. My goal is to buy back when I can get the same amount of ounces , but .999 instead of sterling, or use the money to keep buying sterling/90% under spot.
davycoppitt
Penny Pincher Member

Postby johnbrickner » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:18 am

Forgive me for being nostalgic, this is what happens when you can't sleep at now 5:AM. This one originated by Market Harmony seemed apropos to start again.

My overall strategy does not seem to have changed. Accumulate. Buy more on pull backs. Sort more when it doesn't. It served me well so far.

Today, I've shifted back to a wait and see while kicking up my sorting of CRWs. See how long this lasts.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:44 am

johnbrickner wrote: See how long this lasts.

I think this is in reaction to the Turkish Embassy suicide bombing.
beauanderos

Postby beauanderos » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:03 am

beauanderos wrote:
johnbrickner wrote: See how long this lasts.

I think this is in reaction to the Turkish Embassy suicide bombing.

Now the bombing has extended to COMEX :lol:
beauanderos

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals