Beginner's Luck?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Beginner's Luck?

Postby Hawkeye » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:24 pm

To give you a little background, I have really never been to a pawn shop. I thought that, while I was at my wife's family's house and not really doing anything else, I would see if I could find any decent coins at a good price. The town she is from has 3 pawn shops within about a block, so I hit all three. The first two had a few overpriced silver dollars and not much else. But I scored at the third one. They didn't have much silver (mostly dozens of dateless buffs and wheats). I left with 3 Washington quarters (49, 41, 39), a 64 Kennedy, and 3 Walkers (42, 43, 44) for $38. And, right before I left, I noticed a big Mexican coin and asked what he wanted for it. He said $5 and I took it, having no idea what it was. Turned out to be an 1841 8 Reales in pretty good condition. I think I did OK for my first day out. 8-)
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Beginner's Luck?

Postby Pennysaved » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:37 pm

Good job

The saying I always heard growing up is "Luck favors the brave"

You keep putting yourself out there you will find great deals
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby jasmatk » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:56 pm

About $60 melt for $38 great job Id be going back there on a regular basis
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Hawkeye » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:26 pm

I would like to go back on a regular basis, but it's about 700 miles from where I live. :) I will definitely stop in every time I'm here, though. I will start going to pawn shops when I see them!
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals