Anyone interested in .925 sterling?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Anyone interested in .925 sterling?

Postby DebtFreeMe » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:38 pm

I have access to a lot of sterling silver flatware, like 30lbs a month, does anyone have a use for the flatware, or I could melt down into bars if anyone is interested in those instead (for shipping and storage purposes).

Or if anyone knows of a site, like realcent that might specialize in flatware, and have a market section to buy and sell in, please let me know.

If anyone has an interest PM me.

Thanks,
DFM
DebtFreeMe
Penny Collector Member

Re: Anyone interested in .925 sterling?

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:27 pm

Flatware is usually worth more as flatware than as scrap silver. Antique shops may buy it, or sell it for you on consignment. There are also dealers that specialize in silver matching services and there is one I have dealt with in the past that still sends me mailings (the name escapes me but I can did it up if you need it; PM me if so). If you don't want to go to this trouble there is a RC member that will trade you .999 bullion for sterling, for a markup, and regularly advertises the service in a thread.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby creshka46 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:43 pm

If you're talking about that kind of volume, Market Harmony can give you a pretty good deal

http://marketharmony.net/uploads/Refining_Rates.pdf
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby DebtFreeMe » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:47 pm

If you can direct me to a place that I could sell at the best price I would be appreciative. I like to iether have direct contact with the end user or set up a situation where myself and the person that has access to the market can both make some money.
DebtFreeMe
Penny Collector Member

Postby thedrifter » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:51 pm

Mike at Market Harmony is a good market maker. Honest, easy to work with and fast payment. What do you have? Any full sets or near complete?
DebtFreeMe wrote:If you can direct me to a place that I could sell at the best price I would be appreciative. I like to iether have direct contact with the end user or set up a situation where myself and the person that has access to the market can both make some money.
thedrifter
Penny Collector Member

Postby DebtFreeMe » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:00 am

Actually I can often get anywhere from an entire set, all the way to a single spoon. I would really like to find a place that deals with this stuff as a collectable, not so much as scrap. But, other than being able to find lots of sites dedicated to marks on sterling, I can't find any that are active with people that actually are actively looking to add to their collections.

I'd like this not only becuase the premiums are higher, but because some of this stuff looks really nice and it's kind of a shame to melt down such well made and great looking pieces of history... But I have a wife and twin daughters that like to do more than just have a roof over their heads and food on the table, so I have to make the doughnuts.
DebtFreeMe
Penny Collector Member

Postby Engineer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:06 am

I'd like a set, so if you get one that's too nice to melt, put it up here. Other than that, you could try some antique forums.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:28 am

If you're selling around spot or lower, I might like some. Seems a great way to diversify that actually has practical use.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby DebtFreeMe » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:22 pm

Engineer and scyther,

I see what I can do to help you out. Also, thanks for the antique forums idea I hadn't thought about that one before.
DebtFreeMe
Penny Collector Member

Postby Goof » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:37 pm

Depending one what a full set would go for I might be interested. So, basically what Engineer said.
Goof
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:10 pm

Here is the pattern to my collection. It is called "Milburn Rose" by Westmorland. It is a discontinued set.

When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:23 pm

http://www.replacements.com/

Is a source for pattern matching, especially discontinued patterns.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Chief » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:24 pm

I'd love to eat like royalty. PM sent.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:54 pm

68Camaro wrote:http://www.replacements.com/

Is a source for pattern matching, especially discontinued patterns.

Replacements.com is a great place to find things. :thumbup: :thumbup:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:02 pm

I sold a nice set here.

I did not want to see it melt. I made a little money too.

The member who bought it made a good point, "if i'm going to hoard silver anyway I may as well buy something I can use."
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Engineer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:11 pm

Thogey wrote:"if i'm going to hoard silver anyway I may as well buy something I can use."

That's exactly what I've been thinking...plus its a bit safer from seizure than straight bullion.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby OtusLotus » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:43 pm

replacements.com is a good website.. but you will not get anything close to spot for your set.

I tried buying and then reselling a silver flatware set, and I was very disappointed with the offer I received.

You can always call them up (which is what I did) and request a price sheet of what they would offer you for each piece of the set.
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:09 pm

I mentioned them more for finding missing pieces or replacements for damaged, even stainless, than for selling.
68Camaro

Postby Goof » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:10 pm

I'm trying to find out the name of the set of silverplate silverware my grandma gave me for info on it. Of course the name is Rogers Bros... Soooo, lots to search through. But, thank you for the website! :)
Goof
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:58 am

I'd love to buy a set of real silverware. Great way to diversify, and who would think to look in the cutlery drawer while robbing you! Maybe 30 years ago but now, no-one is expecting silver in there :)
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Postby Treetop » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:58 pm

I wouldnt be interested in a full set with a premium, but Id like to get a few pieces at spot +/- a small amount.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals