Update "H" must be for harvested!

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Update "H" must be for harvested!

Postby henrysmedford » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:19 pm

Yesterday we got some rolls with an "H" on them. After running them through the sorter the only copper was 1982. Looks like Grants Pass Oregon has a date sorter.
Untitled by henrysmedford, on Flickr
Last edited by henrysmedford on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Re: "H" must be for harvested!

Postby Hawkeye » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:21 pm

Interesting: a little competition... So far I haven't run into any other sorters, but I'm also just a hand sorter. Do most banks take rolled change like that? My bank won't take it and has to run it through the machine no matter what, so I don't roll anything.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AdamsSamoa » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:29 pm

My Credit union does.... you need to put your last name and phone number on them thought. I got a few cool rolls last week. They were obviously customer wraped. one was full of 09 "proffesional life" and one was all shield backs. (mixed dates)... gonna keep the 09s...
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Hawkeye » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:11 pm

AdamsSamoa wrote:My Credit union does.... you need to put your last name and phone number on them thought. I got a few cool rolls last week. They were obviously customer wraped. one was full of 09 "proffesional life" and one was all shield backs. (mixed dates)... gonna keep the 09s...

It seems like I've been seeing a lot fewer 09s lately. Good score.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Zincanator » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:35 pm

My bank not only takes rolled coins, but appreciates it.

I got a $25 box of CWRs a while ago that was all zinc. So there's another sorter close to me.
Zincanator
Penny Pincher Member

Postby NHsorter » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:56 pm

"H" is for Henry. They deposited those specifically for the areas most famous sorter.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby henrysmedford » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:06 pm

NHsorter wrote:"H" is for Henry. They deposited those specifically for the areas most famous sorter.

They were from a town a hour up the road and they still found me. :mrgreen:
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby cesariojpn » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:52 pm

henrysmedford wrote:
NHsorter wrote:"H" is for Henry. They deposited those specifically for the areas most famous sorter.

They were from a town a hour up the road and they still found me. :mrgreen:

OPSEC alert.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby MUTiger » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:46 pm

I went to the branch in our grocery store that does not have a sorter/counter so they only take rolled stuff. Any time I am in there I asked for the CWR pennies and halves they can spare. So far never got a roll of halves just a few loose. Anyway, last week I got $10 CWR in pennies. I go home and start dumping them in a bin to run through the sorter. All of them had the same wrappers and I notice in the first few rolls that I do not see any copper dates. I ran them through the Ryedale and I got 2 - 1982 coppers and 998 zinc. At least I did not get shorted. These 2 - 1982s must have failed their ring test or something because if they were tossing all 1982s I would have suspected more than 2. Anyhow, I guess I have a sorter nearby as well.

"H" could be for hunted. :lol: :lol:

mutiger
MUTiger
Penny Collector Member

Postby LooseChange » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:38 am

Ever since my CU installed coin counters, they encourage the use of it....ironically, they don't order coin boxes either. The teller told me that the only rolled change they have is what customers bring in...which since the installation of the counters is only about once per week.

I would not expect any other sorters in the area would roll their zincs, as all branches have the counters, so if they can ever part with a few CWRs I'm pretty happy as they are producing about 25% copper. I'm wondering what they plan to do when all rolled coin stops coming in?
"You can go if you want, but all they make are coins there"- Quote from the Philidelphia, PA visitors center desk clerk, after inquiring about going on a tour of the MINT
LooseChange
Penny Collector Member

Postby spacemanX » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:24 am

i found out there are two persons who search in my area. one is active, the other appears to have stopped searching.
and on the CU front, i have two different ones i go to. one has a machine free for members, the other is a coinstar. i deposit the rolled coins there.

also if i get a box of CWR's and go thru a sampling of 6 rolls and get no copper, i return them to the CU. don't waste my time and eyesight
spacemanX
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:52 pm

spacemanX wrote:i found out there are two persons who search in my area. one is active, the other appears to have stopped searching.
and on the CU front, i have two different ones i go to. one has a machine free for members, the other is a coinstar. i deposit the rolled coins there.

also if i get a box of CWR's and go thru a sampling of 6 rolls and get no copper, i return them to the CU. don't waste my time and eyesight

You could also weight each roll real quick if you seem to be in a bad batch, but still want to make sure that there are no good rolls mixed in. Still takes a couple minutes, but saves you from having to crack the rolls.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby wheeler_dealer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:21 pm

H might be for haunted
I am haunted by a "bunch" of sorters in my city/area. Fortunately there are so many banks in my area I only have to change strategy to stay in coins. P P lives on opposite side of town and I don't think we are competition with each other. I have however seen in person people buying bulk quantities of pennies in front of me while on bank runs. Nothing more frustrating than waking up to do a run and coming home empty handed.
Thank goodness for "buy it now"
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby johnbrickner » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:03 pm

Five years sorting in my area (only 2 banks) and one of my fav tellers just told me some woman is also sorting nickels. I went thru her rolls recently to discover she's keeping everything pre-1960 give or take a year or two. This same teller showed me 7 silver dollars (4 peace, 3 morgan) two Buffs, and one war nickel. She was clueless to their value and asked me if I would chek them out. I gave her my opinion of fair market value for them, told her to go to the "We buy Gold/Silver" place behind the bank to see if the numbers she gets are even close to mine and to hang on to them. She said she'd get back to me later when she decides what to do with them. This may be the start of a beeeeeutiful relationship.

Did the same with her manager a while back who got some coin via inheritance. Let's see how well this works out for all of us. :angel:
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Zincanator » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:55 am

A teller the other day asked me what a "D" meant next to the year on pennies. So I went on about mint marks and probably bored her to tears. But imagine if they had the knowledge of members here? They must let all sorts of good stuff slip through their hands!?!?!
Zincanator
Penny Pincher Member

Postby cesariojpn » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:54 pm

wheeler_dealer wrote:H might be for haunted

Oh come on you don't believe in t
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby wheeler_dealer » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:15 pm

Haunted by Dave, penny pretty, and quite a few anonymous sorters. That's o.k. though there is no shortage of banks or coins in our area.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Update "H" must be for harvested!

Postby henrysmedford » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:12 pm

So today I stopped by the same branch and they had $25 in CRW $5 with of it H rolls. I found out that he drops off and picks up foe the same bank. So I left this for him.

henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing