Finally, a SCORE of my own!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Finally, a SCORE of my own!

Postby silverflake » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:23 pm

I always read here how some of you guys end up finding really good deals at LCS or flea markets, etc. I never, and I mean NEVER come across these deals. I end up scraping together my savings over months and buying on line (APMEX or Provident Metals). But even the best deals with them are over spot, and I pay shipping/handling/insurance and have to wait for my merchandise.

I have one coin shop around here. Guy carries a good assortment. But always sky high on prices (wanted $40 for 2013 SAE's recently...). But, what can I do. It helps having the belief that silver is going to go up to prices where $40 will seem cheap some day.

So, today, I have a little money in my pocket and I figure, I need to get some silver. I finished my errands and stopped at the aforementioned coin shop. I just had myself convinced to bite the bullet and lay down whatever he asks in order to get some silver (I was looking for maybe 3-4 SAE's thinking $40/each). Well, store was closed. Interesting. So I head to the post-office. I do my thing there, but fairly close to the post office is a new pawn shop. Been there maybe 3 months. Sign out front says "We buy gold and silver." I figure if they buy it, maybe they sell it. Still with the cash in my pocket, I stop in, walk up to the glass case and voila - right in the center case in the middle is an eclectic assortment of silver coins. Some merc's, silver quarters, plastic bags of half dollars and a half dozen silver eagles (one is B.U., the rest are close but I can see dings on them and a little tarnish). I point out the 3 best SAE's and the guy there (very nice and helpful, by the way) pulls them out and I ask how much he wants. He tells me to hang on and goes over to his computer. Checks out his info, comes back and says "$32 each". This was at 12 noon. Silver was at about $31/ounce when I had left my house earlier. Before I mess this up I say, "I'll take them". Three silver eagles at a dollar over spot! OK, I didn't win the lottery but - good deal, none-the-less.

I ended up getting 5 Franklin Half Dollars for $56 too- not a bad deal either. He told me to come back soon, he has a lot more stuff to put out! Oh yes, I'll be back!

Keep stacking gang!
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Finally, a SCORE of my own!

Postby theshoenlebens » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:04 pm

:clap: :clap:
theshoenlebens
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby agmoose » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:54 pm

Woo-hoo, those are good deals.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby texcollex » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:55 pm

Nice! Pawn shops around here are proud of everything they sell. Still, I keep looking.
texcollex
Penny Collector Member

Postby wheeler_dealer » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:01 pm

NICE SCORE ON ALL. Congrats. Visit regularly buy often those are good prices
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:03 pm

Yay! Any score is a GOOD score! :clap:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Goof » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:38 pm

That's AWESOME! Being brand new to this all I have no scores as of yet. (outside of good deals here) BUT, I did recently start checking coinstar today ( got some newer canadian change) and am TRYING to find a bank to get rolls of 50c pieces to search. BUT, my branch won't even ship in a box for me being a customer. And the ones they had were someone's dump.
Goof
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:12 am

WTG!! Always remember, the harder you try, the luckier you get! Good score! :clap:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby OtusLotus » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:31 am

Awesome! It always pays to go into places and ask what they have! you will be surprised at what you find!

I always go into random places and ask for everything!
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rastatodd » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:12 am

I am like you. I never get a deal, a deal so big as to be mentioned on Realcent. But this is how close I got to a deal. Was on eBay, going through the listings of poured silver bars. Came across a 3 oz. JMC poured silver bar at $122 :o with a $5 shipping. Did a advance search on closed auctions for the same bar lowest sold price was $199 :thumbup: . With five minutes left in the auction dropped a bid of $127.50, three minutes left added a bump to $135. 11 seconds left and what happens but the unthinkable outbid. Broken hearted I did nothing but sulk the rest of the day. In hind site should have done a bump to $150. On your ASE at $32, I'd say you, scored. Congrats.
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Saabman » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:22 am

Nice score!! WTG!!!
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby silverflake » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:59 am

Couldn't resist, scraped together what I could find in cash and re-visited. Got a 1996 B.U. SAE for $37 and 10 Franklin half dollars for $110. Not too bad. I am happy!

Keep stacking!
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:06 pm

silverflake wrote:I always read here how some of you guys end up finding really good deals at LCS or flea markets, etc. I never, and I mean NEVER come across these deals. I end up scraping together my savings over months and buying on line (APMEX or Provident Metals). But even the best deals with them are over spot, and I pay shipping/handling/insurance and have to wait for my merchandise.

I have one coin shop around here. Guy carries a good assortment. But always sky high on prices (wanted $40 for 2013 SAE's recently...). But, what can I do. It helps having the belief that silver is going to go up to prices where $40 will seem cheap some day.

So, today, I have a little money in my pocket and I figure, I need to get some silver. I finished my errands and stopped at the aforementioned coin shop. I just had myself convinced to bite the bullet and lay down whatever he asks in order to get some silver (I was looking for maybe 3-4 SAE's thinking $40/each). Well, store was closed. Interesting. So I head to the post-office. I do my thing there, but fairly close to the post office is a new pawn shop. Been there maybe 3 months. Sign out front says "We buy gold and silver." I figure if they buy it, maybe they sell it. Still with the cash in my pocket, I stop in, walk up to the glass case and voila - right in the center case in the middle is an eclectic assortment of silver coins. Some merc's, silver quarters, plastic bags of half dollars and a half dozen silver eagles (one is B.U., the rest are close but I can see dings on them and a little tarnish). I point out the 3 best SAE's and the guy there (very nice and helpful, by the way) pulls them out and I ask how much he wants. He tells me to hang on and goes over to his computer. Checks out his info, comes back and says "$32 each". This was at 12 noon. Silver was at about $31/ounce when I had left my house earlier. Before I mess this up I say, "I'll take them". Three silver eagles at a dollar over spot! OK, I didn't win the lottery but - good deal, none-the-less.

I ended up getting 5 Franklin Half Dollars for $56 too- not a bad deal either. He told me to come back soon, he has a lot more stuff to put out! Oh yes, I'll be back!

Keep stacking gang!

love that story...its a good one. i have a lot of fun here, reading the stories of our gang. ....and i do feel...."our gang". meaning even though this is "cyber"...it still feels like a clubhouse, we come to, and can share the everyday stuff, without the fear of "trolls" polluting the well of good fellowship.

that is a RARE thing on the Net. Thats a good feeling, isnt it?...taking frns OUT of the mix, and replacing them with real currency.

well it looks like you found a target rich environment with that pawn broker.......sweet. have a good day bru, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:08 pm

silverflake wrote:Couldn't resist, scraped together what I could find in cash and re-visited. Got a 1996 B.U. SAE for $37 and 10 Franklin half dollars for $110. Not too bad. I am happy!

Keep stacking!

shooooooooo. thats another sweet little scorelet....Franklins for 22 times?.....were they circ's?....and 96 was the low circ year for SAE's, wasnt it?.....nice.

you have found a HOME! amen.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:45 pm

Rastatodd wrote:I am like you. I never get a deal, a deal so big as to be mentioned on Realcent. But this is how close I got to a deal. Was on eBay, going through the listings of poured silver bars. Came across a 3 oz. JMC poured silver bar at $122 :o with a $5 shipping. Did a advance search on closed auctions for the same bar lowest sold price was $199 :thumbup: . With five minutes left in the auction dropped a bid of $127.50, three minutes left added a bump to $135. 11 seconds left and what happens but the unthinkable outbid. Broken hearted I did nothing but sulk the rest of the day. In hind site should have done a bump to $150. On your ASE at $32, I'd say you, scored. Congrats.

Ras Tafari, mon...brudder Todd, continuing where you were going with what you wrote; you know what?....this is just me, but i never think in terms of "getting a deal". i dont write that as a put down, or arrogant. no no no. What i'm trying to say is this; i feel we got a 'window' of opportunity, that is slowly...OR quickly closing....i cant figger if its a slow close, or a quick close, but its a window, to where we CAN take frns and turn them into silver coins, or bars, depending on what one prefers.

and i got into the game, a little late...Feb 2008 to be precise, and i'm playing catch up ball...what about you? i know there are guys here, that were buying $5 silver...and to even, one could score a roll of SAE's for $120, boggles the mind....what would $5 silver put 90% silver American coinage at?.....like 7 or 8 times face?.....gee whiz.

but the "one that got away" story...just drives you nutz, dont it? It underlines why, sometimes, if you see something you want, you gotta get agressive in bidding.i got two "one that got away" stories, and they still drive me nutz, one coin roll, the other a battle rifle......in 08,or 09....i saw a GEM/BU roll of 1936 Washington quarters.....this was when we were trading 12 to 13 times face, so i flipped a $155 bid..."secure" in the knowledge i got it....yeh, i got it....got sniped at 165.....what i SHOULD have done was flipped in a $200 bid...woulda, coulda, should of's....still think about it.

the rifle that got away, was coz i was a boll-less wimp...in 97, i was working a great job, earning nice, still married to my son's mother, she's a great woman, but she dont like guns. (there's a legit reason why, but....) anyway, i had ten hundred dollar bills in my pocket..."man cash"...after work, i went over to this great gun and archery store in SoCal...its gone now....and i saw a beautiful FN-FAL battle rifle....its an iconic Belgium made Nato 7.62 rifle, holds a 20 round clip...just an excellent weapon, and they wanted $600 for it. In 97, that was a bit of money...i think at that time, a quality AR was running 500...and brother, i'm standing there.....i HAVE the money in my pocket...bills are paid, groceries in the fridge, blah blah blah. ...AND i have a safe at home, with rifles in it, that i've already got grief for, but i had assured my baby, "they stay locked up".......and i'm weighing the price i got to pay when i get home, and totally wimped out, and walked away from this hard to find, quality battle rifle...i mean this was the rifle that "saved" Israel...it gave their infantry formations real punch, i had wanted one since i was 10!....and i walked away. 16 years later, i still remember my wimpdom.....with shame.

before the whole gun mess, do you know what they went for, IF you could find one?.....3,000...easy...now?....i dont even wanna think about it...but i do....oh well.

the one that got away...its a man's pain. (i'm laughing my ao)
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby silverflake » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:13 pm

neilgin1, all the Franklins were circulated. but I don't care. Window is closing, I can just feel it in my bones. Maybe a couple years, maybe a couple of months. I just despise FRN's right now so much, that a tarnished Franklin is so much more valuable than a piece of paper (FRN) that is even to coarse to wipe my...nose with. Anyhow, keep the faith.

Keep stacking.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Goof » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:53 pm

This thread got me silver antsy, so I stopped at my LCS (along with trying 3 pawn shops and asking for halves at 3 diff banks) And bought 3 1996 ASE for 5 over spot. No clue if a good deal, but defn good enough... I'm smiling and have a little more silver.
Goof
Penny Pincher Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:07 pm

silverflake wrote:Couldn't resist, scraped together what I could find in cash and re-visited. Got a 1996 B.U. SAE for $37 and 10 Franklin half dollars for $110. Not too bad. I am happy!

Keep stacking!

Wow! You got a 1996 BU SAE for only 37? Sounds like you have gotten yourself a great deal. I was told the 96's command more of a premium....low mintage?
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals