Good deal or not?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Good deal or not?

Postby tebam11 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:40 pm

OK, I'm definately not up to savvy on all things PM yet. So, I'm hoping to minimize the mistakes I do make along the way. I really do not understand enough about the importance or value placed on slabbed coins. I understand they are worth more, but how the whole investment/collector issues play in I'm still figuring out. Here is the deal I have been given.

2009 proof 70 1/10 AGE ultra cameo for 277.00

deal or no deal???
tebam11

Re: Good deal or not?

Postby AGCoinHunter » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:09 pm

If your buying for PM's, forget the slab. The closest you can get that coin to melt is your good deal. Proofs are also going to be more costly. Personally unless you plan to collect these, I would stay away and try to get 1/10 of an oz closest to melt as you can.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Dvorak » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:17 pm

You may disagree with some of these, but I think it's a pretty good place to start for new investors:
http://the-moneychanger.com/commandments.phtml

I. Always take delivery
II. Never buy premium if you can avoid it.,
III. Buy bullion for business, numismatics for fun.
IV. Buy silver first, then gold.
V. Buy small gold first, then large.
VI. Never buy exotic coins or modern rarities or anything you don't understand.
VII. Know your dealer.
VIII. What governments can't find, they can't steal.
IX. Never swap bullion coins for U.S. $20 gold pieces. (*)
X. Never break the law.

(*) - This one I especially disagree with, if you can get pre-1933 gold for low premium/close to melt-by all means get it! Just don't "trade up" for expensive slabbed coins.

Anyway, sounds like you want to get started with a high premium, semi-numismatic, modern rarity that you don't understand. On top of that, I don't think they minted proof Gold America Eagles in 2009? I'd pass.
Dvorak
Penny Sorter Member

Postby misteroman » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:34 am

^^^ have to agree with dv on this. when i buy sometimes the people sometimes comment " well its in a case". I ask them if they want the case back lol. If you not that comfortable and you want to invest, buy silver eagles and canadian maples leafs from reputable people. cant go wrong there. then move on to 90% and buy, buy, buy!!!
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby mr18 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:30 pm

no deal, to mea ASE is an ASE, slabbed or not, proof or uncirculated.
mr18
Penny Pincher Member

Postby fasteddy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:44 pm

agreed, no deal.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals