How many skunk boxes should I go through before I give up?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

How many skunk boxes should I go through before I give up?

Postby scyther » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:54 am

I lost track of how many it is at this point... I think this was the sixth box of halves I've searched without finding so much as a single 40%. It's getting to be a waste of time, and I'd rather do more dimes since they've been consistently worthwhile. But the first two boxes were really good, so in a way I don't want to give up yet... how many do you think I should go through before giving up and just doing dimes and nickels?
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: How many skunk boxes should I go through before I give u

Postby Chief » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:16 am

It is really up to you. I know I am pretty close to my breaking point. Last two weeks, 32 boxes, have been skunky. If it goes on to three weeks, I am done.
Good luck out there!
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby dakota1955 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:26 am

Just take a break from halves. Do your dimes and then go back to halves later.
dakota1955
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby knibloe » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:45 am

I got 50+ in a box right around the beginning of the year.

Since then, I have only gotten 1-40% in the last 6 weeks. I am about to quit as well. Especially, since my bank (not my normal branch) has asked to see my drivers license 2 twice in the last 3 weeks of dumping. Yesterday the woman told me three times not to bring any more in and I have never been to that branch before. My thought was if I stop bringing these in, I will stop bringing my paycheck in for direct deposit as well.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby OtusLotus » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:30 pm

This is the way that I would look at it...

If you expect to find, lets say 5 silver coins in a box. You get 25 in your first 2 boxes, you can expect your next few boxes to be skunks. In the end, it will always come out to the average.

You just have to keep plugging away... or you can stop! and then I can get that good box!
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby BamaJoe » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:08 pm

It really just depends on how persistant you want to be. I've gone thru several 20+ skunk streaks and plenty of batches of 10 finding just 1 or 2. It just makes those good days all the sweeter. Now being honest, my yields over 1280 boxes do show a steady curve downward and the day will come that I have to say it's time to call it a day. Of course whether or not I do quit depends on how stong that pull is for just one more killer box. :lol:
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby scyther » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:11 pm

OtusLotus wrote:This is the way that I would look at it...

If you expect to find, lets say 5 silver coins in a box. You get 25 in your first 2 boxes, you can expect your next few boxes to be skunks. In the end, it will always come out to the average.

You just have to keep plugging away... or you can stop! and then I can get that good box!

Ah, you're quite optimistic. My first box had 5 40% and 1 90%. My second had 2 90%. I was quite pleased by this. I would love to find 5 silver coins average, even if they were all 40%...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals