What is the difference between "spot" and "melt"?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: What is the difference between "spot" and "melt"?

Postby Nickelmeister » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:30 pm

OneBiteAtATime wrote:Currently on a 40% Kennedy.

Melt is: 28.48x.1479=$4.21
Spot minus $1 is 27.48x.1479=$4.06

That's right, so "melt" and "spot" are the same: $4.21
$1 under spot is $4.06
$1 under melt is $3.21

It was worded poorly, but I'm pretty certain that's what was meant.
But nobody will ever know, as he is too busy to confirm or deny it! :P
Standing offer: BUYING Canadian junk silver at 90% melt. PM me to lock in price and quantity.
Nickelmeister
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Bluegill » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:15 pm

As pointed out by several individuals already, Spot is the market price of 1 Troy ounce of .999 Ag.

Melt is the theoretical value of a coin derived from the amount of Ag it contains. So Melt Value = Spot X ASW.

As of the time of this post, Spot is $28.69. A minty fresh .400 fine half has an ASW of .1479 Troy Oz.
$28.69 x .1479 = A Melt Value of $4.24.

Spot and Melt Value are not the same. It's no different than calculating the Melt Value of a Cu Cent.

The member in question is selling his halves for $1 under Spot, $27.69 x .1479 = $4.09.
Bluegill
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:46 pm

Well take spot and melt it ....just a bit....not all the way. Then take away a dollar.....let it get solid again. Watch a little Walking Dead. Good, now its cooled and is safe to the touch. Find that dollar you melted out.....use it to buy a couple rolls of pennies. Thisn is where it gets tricky. Coppers are what you want.....so you gotta sort them out. The zincs are no good......well not right now. the Melt isn't quite there yet. No worries the silver poured from earlier is very cool by now. Ok now its time to take the Zinc lincolns back to the bank. Here is where you run into trouble. With less than a dollar in zincs, assuming you found at least 25% coppers, you now have two options. The first is to get 75 cents in more pennies to sort again for coppers. This is a great idea to build your stack of CU if you are short on completeing a roll. It takes time but repeated you could actualy end up with a dollar of face value of full copper. The second option is to get three quarters. First thing check the quarters as some may be silver. If you do find a silver quarter it could be worth 5-500 dollars if its the right date. Although this the odds of finding a great 1932-D quarter are slim its still worth a look. So if all three quarters are clad you should next check to see if any of them are Wisconson state quarters. See the thing with Wisconson state quarters is that they have a high and low leaf variety. These varieties, even in AU, can be worth much more than face. If no Wisconson quarters or silver pre-64 quarters are found then you are back to square one and only have face value. at this point its recommended that you purchase a nice cold Pepsi. Lets face, all this work of sorting coins an melting silver has left you a little dehydrated. Chances are a Nice cold Pepsi will fix that right away. It is advised that you do understand that Pepsi does have a certain amount of sugar in its formula so if you are diabetic it may not be the best soft drink for you. If this is the case, it would be recommended that you purchase and a diet soda such as Diet Pepsi. Don't be fooled just because its diet and sugarless doesn't mean that it is bitter to the taste buds. In fact it is very tastey and refreshing. OK, now we feel better.....properly hydrated and ready to get back to making money of the selling at spot less a dollar.

Any questions or feel free to add anything if I have left it out.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby SilverDragon72 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:57 pm

Bluegill wrote:As pointed out by several individuals already, Spot is the market price of 1 Troy ounce of .999 Ag.

Melt is the theoretical value of a coin derived from the amount of Ag it contains. So Melt Value = Spot X ASW.

As of the time of this post, Spot is $28.69. A minty fresh .400 fine half has an ASW of .1479 Troy Oz.
$28.69 x .1479 = A Melt Value of $4.24.

Spot and Melt Value are not the same. It's no different than calculating the Melt Value of a Cu Cent.

The member in question is selling his halves for $1 under Spot, $27.69 x .1479 = $4.09.

:thumbup: Good to know!
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby RichardPenny43 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:02 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Well take spot and melt it ....just a bit....not all the way. Then take away a dollar.....let it get solid again. Watch a little Walking Dead. Good, now its cooled and is safe to the touch. Find that dollar you melted out.....use it to buy a couple rolls of pennies. Thisn is where it gets tricky. Coppers are what you want.....so you gotta sort them out. The zincs are no good......well not right now. the Melt isn't quite there yet. No worries the silver poured from earlier is very cool by now. Ok now its time to take the Zinc lincolns back to the bank. Here is where you run into trouble. With less than a dollar in zincs, assuming you found at least 25% coppers, you now have two options. The first is to get 75 cents in more pennies to sort again for coppers. This is a great idea to build your stack of CU if you are short on completeing a roll. It takes time but repeated you could actualy end up with a dollar of face value of full copper. The second option is to get three quarters. First thing check the quarters as some may be silver. If you do find a silver quarter it could be worth 5-500 dollars if its the right date. Although this the odds of finding a great 1932-D quarter are slim its still worth a look. So if all three quarters are clad you should next check to see if any of them are Wisconson state quarters. See the thing with Wisconson state quarters is that they have a high and low leaf variety. These varieties, even in AU, can be worth much more than face. If no Wisconson quarters or silver pre-64 quarters are found then you are back to square one and only have face value. at this point its recommended that you purchase a nice cold Pepsi. Lets face, all this work of sorting coins an melting silver has left you a little dehydrated. Chances are a Nice cold Pepsi will fix that right away. It is advised that you do understand that Pepsi does have a certain amount of sugar in its formula so if you are diabetic it may not be the best soft drink for you. If this is the case, it would be recommended that you purchase and a diet soda such as Diet Pepsi. Don't be fooled just because its diet and sugarless doesn't mean that it is bitter to the taste buds. In fact it is very tastey and refreshing. OK, now we feel better.....properly hydrated and ready to get back to making money of the selling at spot less a dollar.

Now I'm confused,
I thought people only drank Mt Dew in West Virginia. :?
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:11 pm

Today I learned: 100% of RC dentists recommend Pepsi.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby slickeast » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:43 pm

Where are you buying Pepsi for 75 cent? Save your can. It has scrap value. Doc, do you recommend Pepsi or Pepsi throwback?
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Diggin4copper » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:50 pm

Im never drinking on a Wed night again.......
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby scyther » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:40 pm

I remember when bottles of Diet Pepsi cost a dollar. I spent way to much money on that vending machine in the last year of high school. Should've been buying recession-priced silver... oh well.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Sheba » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:59 pm

I have dealt with several different sellers on the RC list and always look there first to see if there's something avialable that I 'want', 'need', 'can afford'. The reason I do this is the very professional polite and helpful communications with the guys I have dealt with. Those guys, and many more, perhaps most all the sellers, are just plain 'top tier' sellers and decent, nice folks. I like politeness and honesty and at least a 'dash' of humility thrown in. I have found that here.

I couldn't more highly recommend the sellers on this list (without naming them all :lol:) I honestly feel its too bad when someone words their 'for sale' ad in the manner the 'seller' did. Maybe I have a thin skin, but it honestly turned me off.

To the rest of you guys, thanks for your great selling and communications!!!!
Sheba

Now let's see ... where is that blasted cat! I'm hungry. woof, whine, drool, sniff ... 'here kitty, kitty, kitty, nice kitty. Where are you little kitty?
Sheba
Penny Collector Member

Postby Engineer » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:28 pm

I'll go against the ad stomping here, and stand up for quitquit. I've made several deals with him, and he sells decent quality stuff at good prices. He ships FAST, communicates everything you need to know, and packages very well.

Yeah, he could have worded his ad a little better (or better yet, put up a formula), but it's not a dealbreaker for me. If you need someone to hold your hand and and kiss your fluffy over $5 face, he's not your guy...but if you're looking for a good deal on half a bag, he's hard to beat.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rastatodd » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:21 am

Now with regards to how QuitQuit chooses to conduct business on precious metal sites like this one. I would say that if your going to do business in a neighborhood it's best not to piss off the neighbors.
I have come across some of his B/S/T postings over at BS and I can see he is what one would call a "Big Knocker". :lol: Oh that adolescent humor, the term just made me laugh. Well I am just a working guy doing my best to pay the bills and put a nest egg away for my two daughters, and I believe quitquit and myself paths would never cross. But you can still treat your prospective customers with some respect and dignity. If you treat people right, people will want to do business with you. I for one am glad that the question of definition of "spot' and "melt" was asked. I got quite an education. Thanks to one and all who have posted to this tread I enjoyed the read. :thumbup:
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rastatodd » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:30 am

Rodebaugh wrote:Well take spot and melt it ....just a bit....not all the way. Then take away a dollar.....let it get solid again. Watch a little Walking Dead. Good, now its cooled and is safe to the touch. Find that dollar you melted out.....use it to buy a couple rolls of pennies. Thisn is where it gets tricky. Coppers are what you want.....so you gotta sort them out. The zincs are no good......well not right now. the Melt isn't quite there yet. No worries the silver poured from earlier is very cool by now. Ok now its time to take the Zinc lincolns back to the bank. Here is where you run into trouble. With less than a dollar in zincs, assuming you found at least 25% coppers, you now have two options. The first is to get 75 cents in more pennies to sort again for coppers. This is a great idea to build your stack of CU if you are short on completeing a roll. It takes time but repeated you could actualy end up with a dollar of face value of full copper. The second option is to get three quarters. First thing check the quarters as some may be silver. If you do find a silver quarter it could be worth 5-500 dollars if its the right date. Although this the odds of finding a great 1932-D quarter are slim its still worth a look. So if all three quarters are clad you should next check to see if any of them are Wisconson state quarters. See the thing with Wisconson state quarters is that they have a high and low leaf variety. These varieties, even in AU, can be worth much more than face. If no Wisconson quarters or silver pre-64 quarters are found then you are back to square one and only have face value. at this point its recommended that you purchase a nice cold Pepsi. Lets face, all this work of sorting coins an melting silver has left you a little dehydrated. Chances are a Nice cold Pepsi will fix that right away. It is advised that you do understand that Pepsi does have a certain amount of sugar in its formula so if you are diabetic it may not be the best soft drink for you. If this is the case, it would be recommended that you purchase and a diet soda such as Diet Pepsi. Don't be fooled just because its diet and sugarless doesn't mean that it is bitter to the taste buds. In fact it is very tastey and refreshing. OK, now we feel better.....properly hydrated and ready to get back to making money of the selling at spot less a dollar.

A long winded Pepsi ad, sounds to me :lol: . Rodebaugh must be holding some Pepsi Cola stock.
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:01 am

Rastatodd wrote:A long winded Pepsi ad, sounds to me :lol: . Rodebaugh must be holding some Pepsi Cola stock.

Nah...he just fixes the holes it puts in your teeth! ;)
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Chaboo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:33 am

Rastatodd wrote:Now with regards to how QuitQuit chooses to conduct business on precious metal sites like this one. I would say that if your going to do business in a neighborhood it's best not to piss off the neighbors.
I have come across some of his B/S/T postings over at BS and I can see he is what one would call a "Big Knocker". :lol: Oh that adolescent humor, the term just made me laugh. Well I am just a working guy doing my best to pay the bills and put a nest egg away for my two daughters, and I believe quitquit and myself paths would never cross. But you can still treat your prospective customers with some respect and dignity. If you treat people right, people will want to do business with you. I for one am glad that the question of definition of "spot' and "melt" was asked. I got quite an education. Thanks to one and all who have posted to this tread I enjoyed the read. :thumbup:

+1
I learned something yesterday and I'm happy for that. ...as I drink my non-carbonated, morning caffeine while looking for my precious. ;)
Chaboo
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Numis Pam » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:56 pm

Thogey wrote:
quitquit wrote:junk silver

halves my choice design $.40 over spot NOT MELT
your choice $.60 over spot

my choice denomination $.20 over spot

minimum $100 fv maximum $3000 fv

40% junk $1 UNDER SPOT , NOT $1 UNDER MELT. if you dont know what this is ask another member not me. dont have time to explain

BUYER PAY ACTUAL SHIPPING

I found his post to be condescending, snotty and rude in tone.

I'm no dummy and I thought spot and melt described the same number.

I won't be doing business with qitqiut. There are other polite and respectful members to do business with.

If any local trading partner of mine said something like that I would tell them to go to hell

+1 I had the very same feelings obout his post. I immediately said all those same things to myself as soon as I read that sellers comments. :thumbdown:
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JadeDragon » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:51 pm

It is not what we think spot vs melt means that matters, it is exactly what he thinks it means. In the time it took to type that he does not have time to explain it, he could have typed his formula.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby frugi » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:48 pm

MELT & SPOT are two totally different things.....

spot = the daily changing price for pure .999 metal

melt = whatever you get for said metal from the refinery (it varies by the refinery & the person selling)

Even if you take pure .999 American Silver Eagles to the refinery, you will not get spot.
You will get a percentage of spot known as melt.
They will melt it and assay it, hence the term "melt".
For this service they charge a percentage of spot,
usually 90-95% of spot for silver, and 97-99% of spot for gold.

My friend owns a refinery.
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:12 pm

JadeDragon wrote:It is not what we think spot vs melt means that matters, it is exactly what he thinks it means. In the time it took to type that he does not have time to explain it, he could have typed his formula.

+1

This is no place for "Oh, but I really meant..."
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals