going to a auction tomorrow any advice

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

going to a auction tomorrow any advice

Postby Frank t » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:55 pm

there are many lots. lots of silver. little gold. barbers walkers standees seated morgans mercs rosies what should i expect near spot or what i guess ill find out huh. btw i have a low budget 160 usd. any ideas on what would be a good buy for turn around or as an investment. heres the list if anyone is interested im going tom 2/23 so any advice asap would be appreciated

http://rgilliganauctions.com/2-23%20coins.html

thanks in advance realcent
Frank t
Penny Collector Member

Re: going to a auction tomorrow any advice

Postby Landrover » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:50 pm

That's tempting. I'm not too far from there.
Landrover
Penny Collector Member

Postby BenG76 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:59 pm

Nice looking auction. Just plan out what you are willing to pay for the items. Print the list of items and make your self some notes on what they are worth either online or in the Redbook or whatever. Try not to get caught up in a bidding war and get carried away. Stay level headed while bidding if possible. If you are interested in the graded coins bid on the ones from the better grading companies. Lesser known companies can overgrade coins or the coins may have issues such as being cleaned.

It seems like whenever I go to an auction with coins things seem to get bid up higher than they should. Then again I have scored some sweet deals at auctions. Good luck and let us know how you do.
BenG76
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Computer Jones » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:08 pm

1) Research the value of what you want to bid on.

2) Think before you raise your hand!!!!!
Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Catfish4u » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:11 pm

From my experience auctions are all over the place in regards to price. Sometimes within the same auction. I went to an auction where coinflation had 90% around $25 x face and bought a lot of rolls at 18-20 X face. That same auction common 1921 Morgan's were going for $40 to $50 each when coinflation had those around $28. Other auctions silver has went close to 'red book' or melt price or even above. It just depends who else is there and what they are looking for.

If things go really cheap you may want to consider buying more and flipping it for cash on this forum. Maybe reach into emergency funds or borrow from a family or friend.
Catfish4u
Penny Pincher Member

Postby agmoose » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:12 pm

I've gone to a couple in the Tampa area, the prices always go way above what I would spend on coins, but that cold be just here. There are some nice things on the block. Go after something you need to fill a hole, or something you don't normally see. Good luck!
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby justoneguy » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:48 pm

1st i thought you were talking about one in colorado.
i am debating going to this auction tomorow.
http://www.auctionzip.com/Listings/1703710.html
It's 100 miles into the boonies, so I'm wondering about the competition there.
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NDFarmer » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:14 pm

When I go to a coin auction I always print out the sale bill for the coins. Then I go to http://www.numismedia.com/fmv/fmv.shtml and I price each coin at a G4 grade. Unless there are some slabbed coins I will price them a little higher. This gives me a floor price for the coins and lets me know approximately what each coin is worth. Because once the auction starts you don't have time to be looking up what a coin is worth. And then I go to the auction early. You have to get there early so you can look over each coin. Then you just go down the line and mark each coin on the list whether it is better than a G4 or worse. Some of them turn out to be culls but if you don't get there early and look at the coins you won't know that. So you just cross off the culls, mark up the coins a little that are better than G4 and then you are a pretty informed bidder. And yes you will leave the auction shaking your head at what some coins go for. I have seen many average well circulated 1921 Morgan dollars sell for $45.00 to $55.00 dollars. I think I have seen high dollar coins sell for better prices at auctions than I have seen the lower end coins go for a good price. By that I mean if you know what the coins are worth and that is why it is so important to know what they are worth before you go to auction. You might snag a $500.00 dollar coin for $200.00

This works for me. It lets me buy coins at the lower end of the price range. I figure if I am buying coins at a G4 grade and lower I can't go too wrong. And turns you into an informed bidder so you don't get in a bidding war and pay $80.00 for a $50.00 coin. And that is key for any auction know what the item you are bidding on is worth and having enough discipline to stop bidding once your maximum price has been reached.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby agmoose » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:24 pm

Excellent advice from NDFarmer.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby justoneguy » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:26 pm

NDFarmer wrote: I always print out the sale bill for the coins. Then I go to http://www.numismedia.com/fmv/fmv.shtml and I price each coin at a G4 grade

Great tip thanks I had been looking at numis for pricing on this.
i was planning on printing out a lot of their pages.
wrint right on the auction listing is a much better/easier idea.
Now someone buythat farmer a beer. :thumbup:
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NDFarmer » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:41 pm

Yes I have found this works well. It takes a little bit of homework to go through and write down what each coin is worth but I think it is worth it. An auction is pretty fast paced and this way you can sit there at an auction that has 400 or 500 lots and know what each coin is worth. This way you're not kicking yourself when you get home and see that you should have bid a couple more times on that $500.00 coin that went for $200.00 or your not saying to yourself why did I pay $100.00 for that coin that was only worth $40.00
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:58 pm

NDFarmer wrote:Then I go to http://www.numismedia.com/fmv/fmv.shtml and I price each coin at a G4 grade.

Are these prices accurate? Can you really sell a 1938 nickel for for 24 cents?
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NDFarmer » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:43 pm

As with any "price guide" it just gives you an approximate value of what something is worth. You have to decide if you want to pay what price guide says a coin is worth. But it gives you a place to start. If you know what coins you are definitely interested in buying you can always check with your LCS or check on Ebay to see what those coins are selling for before you go to the auction.

As far as coins that are worth .23 cents you don't see too many of them auctioned off one at a time at coin auctions.
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Robarons » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:47 pm

Does this auction have proxy or online bidding?

Sharper auctioneers will understand silver and gold values and use the above to ensure the stuff goes for melt or market value- Keep this in mind

Other auctioneers do not have a clue though as well
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby Catfish4u » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:50 pm

If there are buyers premiums remember to factor those into your bids. One auction I go to has a 10% buyers premium for onsite bidders and 20% for online bidders.
Catfish4u
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Frank t » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:50 pm

thanks a bunch guys, ive been doing my homework and i am trying to be the informed type, but just knowing you guys experience gives me a heads up. im going to do some more research on some of the coins i thought were out of my league just to see of they go in my range or close. id really like to get one of the gold dollars around melt because i see a lot of room for gold to go up. thanks everybody again i will let you know tomorrow night what i bought wish me luck. :D
Frank t
Penny Collector Member

Postby Frank t » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:52 pm

thanks catfish i will remember that. there are no online or phone bids accepted. maybe ill see you there land
Frank t
Penny Collector Member

Postby NDFarmer » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:59 pm

Good point about buyer fees and also if find out if state sales tax is added to what you buy. I go to auctions in three states some have sales tax added and some don't. If you are going to get clipped for both a buyers fee and state sales tax then you have to back off your bid by 15 or 20 percent.

But I NEVER go to an auction where they charge a buyers fee. They are getting enough from the seller they don't need another 10 percent from me. Very few auctioneers around here are doing that. If it gets to the point where they all start charging the buyers fee then I am done going to auctions.
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby natsb88 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:11 pm

No sales tax on coins or bullion in PA.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Catfish4u » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:13 pm

NDFarmer wrote:Good point about buyer fees and also if find out if state sales tax is added to what you buy. I go to auctions in three states some have sales tax added and some don't. If you are going to get clipped for both a buyers fee and state sales tax then you have to back off your bid by 15 or 20 percent.

But I NEVER go to an auction where they charge a buyers fee. They are getting enough from the seller they don't need another 10 percent from me. Very few auctioneers around here are doing that. If it gets to the point where they all start charging the buyers fee then I am done going to auctions.

Ron,

Don't just give up on those auctions. Factor in the fees and decrease your bid accordingly. The auction site will always make their money regardless if they charge a premium or charge that premium to the seller. In the end we buyers are paying either way but need to adjust our bids accordingly. JMHO
Catfish4u
Penny Pincher Member

Postby NDFarmer » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:23 pm

Catfish4u wrote:
NDFarmer wrote:Good point about buyer fees and also if find out if state sales tax is added to what you buy. I go to auctions in three states some have sales tax added and some don't. If you are going to get clipped for both a buyers fee and state sales tax then you have to back off your bid by 15 or 20 percent.

Ron,

Don't just give up on those auctions. Factor in the fees and decrease your bid accordingly. The auction site will always make their money regardless if they charge a premium or charge that premium to the seller. In the end we buyers are paying either way but need to adjust our bids accordingly. JMHO

You would think the bids would be 15 to 20 percent lower at auctions where they are charging a buyers fee and sales tax but I haven't found that to be the case. Most people just don't keep that in mind when bidding. If a coin is worth $100.00 they will bid it up to $100.00 and then when it comes time to go pay the clerk they pay $120.00 for the coin. So that's why I don't go to auctions where they charge a buyers fee because I am always bidding 10 to 15 percent less than everybody else and I end up going home without anything and wasting a day for nothing.
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby daviscfad » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:25 pm

Auctions around here go for silly money. 100wheat sold last week for 25 bucks. the a 1/10th bullion eagle sold for 275
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NDFarmer » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:41 pm

daviscfad wrote:Auctions around here go for silly money. 100wheat sold last week for 25 bucks. the a 1/10th bullion eagle sold for 275

It's the same around here. Too many people at these auctions that have no idea what they are bidding on. I was at an auction a while back where they sold rolls of common date 30's wheats for $12.00 per roll. And common date post 1900 Indian head pennies that were a notch above culls, you couldn't read the Liberty on them for $8.00 to $12.00 a piece!!! :o And this at coin auctions where you would think most bidders would have somewhat of an idea of what they are doing. If you really want to see some crazy stuff go to a household auction that has just a few coins on it they really go for crazy prices.
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Frank t » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:43 pm

research finished. thanks a lot farmer now i know a lot about what they have and can bid accordingly. i was only going to go for some cheap pms but now im prepared to bid on a few numis as well. its good to be informed :) now i must sleep to keep a clear head for tomorrow ill let you guys know what i got when i get in. THANKS AGAIN EVERYBODY!!
Frank t
Penny Collector Member

Postby Rosco » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:25 am

Travel safe an enjoy even if it all goes for more than you will Pay as you get a Idea on the local area bidders each auction is different.

In Oregon I go to smaller coin club shows an some time find good deals but always have fun looking at the high value stuff
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals