Sucker for Canadian Junk Silver

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Sucker for Canadian Junk Silver

Postby Gipper1985 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:58 pm

Is anybody else from the USA a sucker for Canadian junk silver? I would take a young queen anything over a Morgan, Washington, Kennedy/Franklin or Roosie any day. Not one for one ofcoarse.
Gipper1985
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Sucker for Canadian Junk Silver

Postby JadeDragon » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:16 pm

I always prefer young ladies over old dead men.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Hawkeye » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:20 pm

Don't tell anybody, but I am a sucker for Canadian junk, too. :shh: Don't get me wrong, I love American 90% (especially Walkers and Peace dollars), but I probably have more Canadian 80% than 90%. I like the designs better, for the most part - the caribou is classic and I love the coat of arms on the .50 piece. And I like the round number amount of silver: 1 roll of quarters/halves is 6oz of silver, a roll of dimes is 3 oz. Good stuff. I hope my citizenship is not revoked for this.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Hawkeye » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:20 pm

JadeDragon wrote:I always prefer young ladies over old dead men.

:lol:
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Silver Runner » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:14 pm

Well although I have not acquired much yet, I love the designs. My daughter also really enjoys finding the young queen Canadian pennies. They are her favorite coins to find among US cents
Silver Runner
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Gipper1985 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:29 pm

Hawkeye wrote:Don't tell anybody, but I am a sucker for Canadian junk, too. :shh: Don't get me wrong, I love American 90% (especially Walkers and Peace dollars), but I probably have more Canadian 80% than 90%. I like the designs better, for the most part - the caribou is classic and I love the coat of arms on the .50 piece. And I like the round number amount of silver: 1 roll of quarters/halves is 6oz of silver, a roll of dimes is 3 oz. Good stuff. I hope my citizenship is not revoked for this.

I agree with the coat of arms on the 50 cent piece as well as the rabbit. The dollars have a great feel too and I don't feel as weird about handling those as I do Morgan or Peace dollars. I wish I had known about this stuff when I used to go to Toronto once a year on vacation. And thank you JadeDragon for summarizing things nicely.
Gipper1985
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:55 pm

Gipper1985 wrote:Is anybody else from the USA a sucker for Canadian junk silver? I would take a young queen anything over a Morgan, Washington, Kennedy/Franklin or Roosie any day. Not one for one ofcoarse.

:shock:

brb.....I need to go bleach my eyes
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:52 pm

CDN junk is my favorite by far. It feels like the money they talk about in romantic fantasy novels. I literally store mine in money bags :)
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:53 pm

The divisibility also kicks butt. No matter how you make up a dollar of face value, you'll always have exactly .6 Oz.
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Postby czcivic » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:23 pm

We Canadians rule junk. lol I need some old quarters and dimes. All I have is a 59' silver dollar.
czcivic

Postby SilverEye » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:54 pm

I love Canadian silver dollars. When my LCS has them is stock, they let them go for under spot.

..And now that I think about it, Canadian silver dollars aren't junk..
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Postby coppertone » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:48 pm

Canadian 80% is the core of my silver stack. The young queen silver dollars are classic and the half dollars typically show only minimal wear. I need more 90% US junk but I can't resist canadian dollars and halves.
coppertone
Penny Pincher Member

Postby knibloe » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:37 pm

I like canadian, especially halves.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby dannan14 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:05 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/136-Canadian-50-1968-Silver-Quarters-34-00-Face-Magnet-tested-791-gr-/271158683658?pt=US_Canadian_Coins&hash=item3f2251280a

This auction of 50% has no bids but still has almost 6 days left. The opening bid is under spot. Too large a lot for me, but this thread made me look hehe
dannan14
Penny Collector Member

Postby Hawkeye » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:31 am

dannan14 wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/136-Canadian-50-1968-Silver-Quarters-34-00-Face-Magnet-tested-791-gr-/271158683658?pt=US_Canadian_Coins&hash=item3f2251280a

This auction of 50% has no bids but still has almost 6 days left. The opening bid is under spot. Too large a lot for me, but this thread made me look hehe

I've found many more deals on ebay on small lots of Canadian junk than on 90% US junk. Not a ton of great deals, but they are out there.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:53 pm

I, too, have a certain fondness for Canadian circ silver. Always have. Being out of the spotlight (even as silver is concerned), Canadian silver coins are often delegated to "second tier" status. All the better for me.

I look for LCSs that have small accumulations. Most of the time these are taken in as part of larger collections pretty much as a courtesy to the seller. LCS staff buy these in the 50-70% of melt range and they're more flexible when it comes time to resell them. When I buy, I always specify it's my pick of the coins and not just random "run 'em through the coin counter" stuff. Mostly, everyone cooperates and I've been able to find stellar stuff.

Take, for example, a roll of CDN halves in the date range of 1937-39. Minimum grade would be fine with many higher. I bought these for $160. With silver dollars, I've been able to snag a bunch of 1967 Goose offerings in both Prooflike and Unc condition. I won't part with these treasures, but one has to be prepared to be disappointed from time to time.

If all the LCS has is a dozen 1961-64 dimes and quarters, buy them strictly for their bullion value. Get your cash flowing over the counter on a regular basis and you may even be able to reach a point where they actually put the good stuff aside for you in advance of your arrival.

You just can't disappear for months at a time and expect them to greet you with the same enthusiasm, though. (I continually remind some that even if they intended to sell these off to someone else, the cost of postage and insurance plus time to properly pack and ship them makes my deals look even better.)

Remember that you're in the business of controlling your stack. No time for emotions (positive or negative) at the time of the transaction, but building a positive rapport with the LCS staff is very important. Go get 'em.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Gipper1985 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:03 am

Know Common Cents wrote:I, too, have a certain fondness for Canadian circ silver. Always have. Being out of the spotlight (even as silver is concerned), Canadian silver coins are often delegated to "second tier" status. All the better for me.

I look for LCSs that have small accumulations. Most of the time these are taken in as part of larger collections pretty much as a courtesy to the seller. LCS staff buy these in the 50-70% of melt range and they're more flexible when it comes time to resell them. When I buy, I always specify it's my pick of the coins and not just random "run 'em through the coin counter" stuff. Mostly, everyone cooperates and I've been able to find stellar stuff.

Take, for example, a roll of CDN halves in the date range of 1937-39. Minimum grade would be fine with many higher. I bought these for $160. With silver dollars, I've been able to snag a bunch of 1967 Goose offerings in both Prooflike and Unc condition. I won't part with these treasures, but one has to be prepared to be disappointed from time to time.

If all the LCS has is a dozen 1961-64 dimes and quarters, buy them strictly for their bullion value. Get your cash flowing over the counter on a regular basis and you may even be able to reach a point where they actually put the good stuff aside for you in advance of your arrival.

You just can't disappear for months at a time and expect them to greet you with the same enthusiasm, though. (I continually remind some that even if they intended to sell these off to someone else, the cost of postage and insurance plus time to properly pack and ship them makes my deals look even better.)

Remember that you're in the business of controlling your stack. No time for emotions (positive or negative) at the time of the transaction, but building a positive rapport with the LCS staff is very important. Go get 'em.

Thank you for your advice. I will definately try this with the LCS.
Gipper1985
Penny Sorter Member

Postby ZenOps » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:29 am

But do you store your Queens in a purple Crown Royal bag.

Thats how you know you are Canadian.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby barrytrot » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:51 am

It used to be (and still might be) pretty easy to score a significantly under spot Canadian deal at least once a week on eBay.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby johnbrickner » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:39 pm

I horde all Canadian coin. Will use the common debased stuff to go across the border and grab more to sort. Otherwise, It's all kept.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals