When copper triples

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

When copper triples

Postby everything » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:00 am

Don't remember where I read it, but supposedly someday copper will be triple the current price, or lets say, around $10. Silver would realistically be $75 or so, and gold that other target we hear about so often, $3000 and more.

Sound realistic? I know it's kind of a bearish time which is good for us poor people, but with currency wars on, things could hasten eventually and maybe get crazy at some point. I guess, from my perspective, the steam age is just getting going still and technology is our future. We need metal, and lots of it.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: When copper triples

Postby scyther » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:59 am

At $10 copper, the melt ban would probably reapealed, and it certainly wouldn't be obeyed. To tempting. Then we get rich :D
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Hawkeye » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:17 am

$10 copper would make me smile.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby db23 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:30 am

It would seem that people investing in copper bullion products (bars/rounds) are hoping to see copper more than tripling.

Take Provident Metals 1/2 lb copper bar for example (largest size in stock); the bar sell for $5.29, but the copper content value is only $1.77 as of right now. So copper tripling in spot price would basically bring it up to what the buy price is now.
db23
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby creshka46 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:41 am

$10 copper means 6.5x FV pennies! I'd sell at that price :D
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby everything » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:52 pm

I definitely see the penny as being toast by then, I'm not crossing my fingers or anything, maybe between 10-20 years out or something. We would finally see a melt of copper rounds just like the melt periods of the 90%, and more of the old gold would be melted as well. Part of me thinks metal could be ready to go range bound for years on end at this point.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Silver Runner » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:56 am

db23 wrote:It would seem that people investing in copper bullion products (bars/rounds) are hoping to see copper more than tripling.

Take Provident Metals 1/2 lb copper bar for example (largest size in stock); the bar sell for $5.29, but the copper content value is only $1.77 as of right now. So copper tripling in spot price would basically bring it up to what the buy price is now.

That is the problem I have with most copper bullion products, "Huge Premiums". If copper triples, do we plan to resell copper bullion products to bullion dealers, or scrap yards? Does anyone foresee either group paying this type of premium when they buy copper bars, rounds, etc? I just don't see it. You do not see a "Sell to Us" price on any of Provident's copper product for a reason. If it was posted, very few would buy. I will keep stacking with the Ryedale at $0.00 premium, and wait for triple current copper prices.

HH,
Silver Runner
Silver Runner
Penny Pincher Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:34 am

everything wrote:Don't remember where I read it, but supposedly someday copper will be triple the current price, or lets say, around $10. Silver would realistically be $75 or so, and gold that other target we hear about so often, $3000 and more.

Sound realistic? I know it's kind of a bearish time which is good for us poor people, but with currency wars on, things could hasten eventually and maybe get crazy at some point. I guess, from my perspective, the steam age is just getting going still and technology is our future. We need metal, and lots of it.

I can see the metals increasing in price, if for nothing more than that they are tangible and are energy intensive to accumulate. I think inflation will contribute to some of the price increase ultimately. Nothing surprises me anymore, btw. I am not so sure holding onto copper cents will be a major windfall for me in the years to come. I think of it as more of a hedge for cash that gets nearly nothing in interest if placed in a bank. I can picture many decades from now, my descendants maybe getting the premiums for wheat cents that Indian Head pennies get right now. Who knows though? I consider coins as collectibles. Once a melt is allowed, many wheat and copper cents will be gone permanently.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby neilgin1 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:38 am

everything wrote:Don't remember where I read it, but supposedly someday copper will be triple the current price, or lets say, around $10. Silver would realistically be $75 or so, and gold that other target we hear about so often, $3000 and more.

fellow Badger....thats why i say, the BEST "play" these days, if resources are limited, is the $100 FV "brick" of nickels.....75% copper, and 25% nickel...dont know what your wages are, but one $100 FV brick every two weeks, and with debasement right around the corner, this is a low cost, prudent way of both saving money, insuring money, and "making" money....ie..."One OBW "old" roll of nickels $2 FV $20 buy it now, plus 7.95 p+h"...lol
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:18 pm

neilgin1 wrote:

fellow Badger....thats why i say, the BEST "play" these days, if resources are limited, is the $100 FV "brick" of nickels.....75% copper, and 25% nickel...dont know what your wages are, but one $100 FV brick every two weeks, and with debasement right around the corner, this is a low cost, prudent way of both saving money, insuring money, and "making" money....ie..."One OBW "old" roll of nickels $2 FV $20 buy it now, plus 7.95 p+h"...lol

You think the best play is in nickel 100 FV bricks? Anything is possible, and I have read about nickels too. I'm glad I have some of these set aside.

Where in Wisconsin are you from, Neilgin?
Last edited by SilverDragon72 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:24 pm

Silver Runner wrote:
db23 wrote:It would seem that people investing in copper bullion products (bars/rounds) are hoping to see copper more than tripling.

That is the problem I have with most copper bullion products, "Huge Premiums". If copper triples, do we plan to resell copper bullion products to bullion dealers, or scrap yards? Does anyone foresee either group paying this type of premium when they buy copper bars, rounds, etc? I just don't see it. You do not see a "Sell to Us" price on any of Provident's copper product for a reason. If it was posted, very few would buy. I will keep stacking with the Ryedale at $0.00 premium, and wait for triple current copper prices.

HH,
Silver Runner

They do sell for a big premium! But when you factor in the cost and production of these, I can see how the price could add up pretty fast. I'm guessing anyone who hand pours these can agree somewhat?

My main focus has been Canadian coppers as well as US pennies as far as bullion is concerned.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Lung » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:20 am

When copper triples after China builds this super air rail system, I am heading straight for the U.S. border fully loaded with 98% canucks. Though I believe it will only hit 5.50-5.75 max, and after the 10-20% refinement fees my poor pennies will only be worth 4/lb :(.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
Cu Lung
Penny Pincher Member

Postby alpacafarmer » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:08 am

I know it is against the law to melt us cents but what about Canadian?
alpacafarmer
Penny Collector Member

Postby scyther » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:11 pm

alpacafarmer wrote:I know it is against the law to melt us cents but what about Canadian?

Not unless you're in Canada.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby InfleXion » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:05 pm

One could trade their coppers to a Canadian for some of their coppers, and then everybody gets to melt :D but then, there are shipping costs...
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby neilgin1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:15 pm

SilverDragon72 wrote:

You think the best play is in nickel 100 FV bricks? [/quote]

yes i do, for the simple reason, you get the only American coinage that remains, where the face value is equal to melt...and you "pay" face...plus you kill two birds with one stone...the first is, REAL savings, you start stacking bricks, and thats going to add up....one every month?......$1200 in REAL currency...and thats where the "other bird" comes in; you know there's concern about both the grid AND the cyber world?...ie, shutting down thru attack, accident, or both?...and how its prudent to keep cash around for such emergencies?

dont know about you, but paper money's all well and swell, but it makes me nervous. However a brick of nicks, is like having fifty $2 bills (maybe worth more in a grid down) around, especially when you get disciplined about stacks bricks of nicks...i'm just saying.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby SilverDragon72 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:12 pm

Yeah...I'll probably end up with a small stash of nickels, just for some variety.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals