Girl Scout Commemorative.

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Girl Scout Commemorative.

Postby Sterling Silver » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:19 pm

Is anyone gonna flip and/or hold these? Only 350,000 are being minted,(175,000 Proof and 175,000 UNC I suppose) but still a lot of FRN's for a 90% coin. Coinflation.com says only 105,000 were sold when they did a Boy Scout coin in 2010. Any thoughts?

http://www.girlscouts.org/something_big.asp
"I can tell your fancy, I can tell your plain.
You give something up for everything you gain.
Since every pleasures' got an edge of pain,
Pay for your ticket and don't complain." Bob Dylan
Sterling Silver
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Girl Scout Commemorative.

Postby daviscfad » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:30 pm

Probably want sell out
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby agmoose » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:17 pm

I flinched at the price too. Probably gonna pass on these.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:53 pm

I'd rather have thin mints. Pass!
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby tedandcam » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:17 pm

They are $5.00 a piece cheaper from the US Mint. The website you gave is the Girl Scouts website and it states that a portion of the proceeds goes to the Girl Scouts. Obviously $5.00.

That said, still way too pricey for that coin. I would much rather have a Freedom Girl for a lot less money and a lot more silver!
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Postby 93_Confirmed » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:27 pm

$60 shipped for 90% silver. :lol:
"When you place an order at NWT, they write it down on a slip of paper and hand it to a guy with a pickaxe who rides off to the Pan American mine on a donkey". - natsb88
93_Confirmed
Penny Collector Member

Postby johnbrickner » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:52 am

Being activly involved with both (Boy/Girl scouts and the boy scout coins) I'll go out on a limb a say the demand for the Boy scout coins was/will be higher than the demand for the Girl scout coins. No one in the general public is talking about the GS coin. Wait 'till the hoopla dies down and purchase them for a much smaller premium or no premium later. I would agree with tedandcam, Freedom girl is a better thing to get into right now.

Of course, I thought Magic the Game wouldn't last a year or two either when it first came out. :oops:
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:55 am

You might not be able to buy it cheaper in the future in the future. The last few years interest in the silver dollars seems to have risen slightly. Not enough that they sell out of designs but enough that the last few years of coins have retained their mint prices. It certainly isnt something you will flip either. Last years coins are selling for 5-10 bucks more then mint direct on ebay for instance. Which I doubt even covers shipping and ebay fees for them. graded coins will sell for more, but you really need a 70 to make it very profitable and there are no guarantees on that.

So Id only get one if you collect commem dollars or if you have a reason to want a specific commem dollar. Id also be more apt to get uncirculated. The vast bulk of years the proof versions sell more coins. The uncirculated ends up being worth a bit more.

A few years back I was routinely getting commem dollars at spot or just above on ebay. that window is long closed it seems. Interest has picked up a bit but not enough these are something your likely be able to flip.

Then of course you have years like 2001 and the buffalo dollar. It actually sold out, with many more more coins then most recent offerings yet still holds a much higher premium. People just want that one for some reason. There are several others with values that arent in line with their rarity. which goes both ways several also have premiums on the low end with mintages under 50-100k.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sterling Silver » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:38 pm

Thanks Treetop.
"I can tell your fancy, I can tell your plain.
You give something up for everything you gain.
Since every pleasures' got an edge of pain,
Pay for your ticket and don't complain." Bob Dylan
Sterling Silver
Penny Sorter Member

Postby highroller4321 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:27 pm

I think they will be a flop. The boy scout one issued a few years ago was a flop. Had a mintage of 150k, but only sold 105k.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby slickeast » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:19 am

Buy Girl Scout cookies instead.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby scyther » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:29 pm

highroller4321 wrote:I think they will be a flop. The boy scout one issued a few years ago was a flop. Had a mintage of 150k, but only sold 105k.

What did they do with the others? Melt them down?
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby highroller4321 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:57 am

scyther wrote:
highroller4321 wrote:I think they will be a flop. The boy scout one issued a few years ago was a flop. Had a mintage of 150k, but only sold 105k.

What did they do with the others? Melt them down?

They way mintages work on most of the "special order" commerative coins is this.

#1 They set a mintage limit.
#2 They release the coin for purchase with a future ship date in mind.
#3 They mint/make enough coins to fill the orders.
#4 If the coin is not sold out they keep it up for sale for a limited time.
#5 The orders that roll in get filled and then the mintage stops at the cap, or whatever they sold.

I am sure they make more then the sell, so yes I would assume they get melted.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals