Premium on ASEs

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Premium on ASEs

Postby SilverJack » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:43 am

Is anyone willing to offer opinions on what is a reasonable premium to pay on ASEs? My LCS is offering tem at $2.95 over spot and I'm not sure how grand a deal that is.

Thanks!
SilverJack

Re: Premium on ASEs

Postby Robarons » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:46 am

Thats a very good deal!

Tulving is selling them for $2.59 Each in 500 oz boxes. Heck I cant think of anywhere you can get any kind of 999 for $3 let alone SAE!
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:04 am

Robarons wrote:Thats a very good deal!

Tulving is selling them for $2.59 Each in 500 oz boxes. Heck I cant think of anywhere you can get any kind of 999 for $3 let alone SAE!

:shh: If my LCS reads this they'll stop selling them to me at $2 over...... :shh:
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Robarons » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:10 am

Wait your getting ASE for $2? I cant even touch that here!

All I been reading is shortage this, supply drying up that- and yet you got ASE for $2 over????

My brain hurts
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby agmoose » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:15 am

My LCS is normally around $3.50 over, but usually rounds up to the nearest quarter also.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby mbailey1234 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:20 am

$2 in what condition??? If they are BU still in mint tubes that's a really great deal IMHO. Especially with where the spot price is right now. I think I sold some back to APMEX for $1.80 over spot a while back.

Our LCS isn't really known for any exceptional deals but they are usually asking $3.50 or more over spot for their ASE's.
mbailey1234
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NDFarmer » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:16 am

Just talked to my LCS yesterday and he is $4.00 over spot.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby IdahoCopper » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:21 am

I sold unopened mint tubes of .999, right here on RC last week for $1.00 over spot.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby IdahoCopper » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:22 am

I sold unopened mint tubes of .999, right here on RC last week for $1.00 over spot.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:36 am

mbailey1234 wrote:$2 in what condition??? If they are BU still in mint tubes that's a really great deal IMHO. Especially with where the spot price is right now. I think I sold some back to APMEX for $1.80 over spot a while back.

Our LCS isn't really known for any exceptional deals but they are usually asking $3.50 or more over spot for their ASE's.

It's not that far a drive for you, but they always have limited supply.... :D wonder why.....
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby 93_Confirmed » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:22 pm

The three LCSs in my area (Central NJ) sell ASEs for $5-$6 over. :shock: :evil:

I'd buy them all day at $3 or less!
"When you place an order at NWT, they write it down on a slip of paper and hand it to a guy with a pickaxe who rides off to the Pan American mine on a donkey". - natsb88
93_Confirmed
Penny Collector Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:31 pm

The premiums for the newest SAE's are 7 over spot at my LCS. Wow....that's a wee bit high, even if they are new and in BU condition.

Older years are a buck or 2 less, but still, they seem kind of pricey to me.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Keep_Stackin » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:45 pm

LCS in my area are $8 over spot. I'm a newb to stacking and a new customer, so that may be playing a role but their premiums on generic and 90% are much more reasonable.
Keep_Stackin

Postby Treetop » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:57 pm

I was in a shop today that had 90% at 23X and ASEs at spot plus 20%. I pushed it a bit and since they were painted ASEs the said spot plus 10% would be acceptable but I passed.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby tonycrouch1183 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:55 pm

+5 at my LCS...
tonycrouch1183

Postby Sheba » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:28 pm

Don't know about ASEs except they are more than generic .999 1 ozt rounds. Called a LCS I have done business with in the past and they were totally out of 90% silver coins and were asking $1.75 over spot for 'generic .999' rounds. I 'suspect' ASEs would be about twice that, but that is just a guess since I didn't ask. I think the $1.75 for 'generic 1 ozt rounds' is just a bit high for premiums. This LCS used to sell 'generics' for less.
Sheba

Now let's see ... where is that blasted cat! I'm hungry. woof, whine, drool, sniff ... 'here kitty, kitty, kitty, nice kitty. Where are you little kitty?
Sheba
Penny Collector Member

Postby CtrlAltBernanke » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:55 am

My LCS is giving people .30 over spot for ASE's and is charging $6 over spot to sell and he says that he can't keep them on the shelves.
CtrlAltBernanke
Penny Collector Member

Postby Silver Runner » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:14 am

I visited Charlotte, NC this weekend with my family. We ventured into a LCS with good Google ratings. The staff was very friendly and helpful. While we were looking for bargains in the young queen world coinage my daughter loves so much, a seller entered with 10 rolls of 2010 ASE. The owner paid $27 per coin. $1.63 south of spot. The seller did not haggle one penny. I purchased some overpriced Canadian Junk Silver for my daughter's collection at 22x face. I was completely aware that it was overpriced but my LCS never has any, and my daughter was excited. I then asked the owner (my assumption) what he sold ASEs for. He stated $4.25 over spot for 2010s and $6 over spot for other years.

I felt like since I had seen the "theft" that I would have gotten a better deal on the "stolen merchandise". Why do sellers not check APMEX, Provident, etc buy prices before entering a LCS? Why would the seller assume the premium for their coins would completely vanish when selling? By the way through conversation it was easy to tell that the seller had purchased the coins from the same establishment.

Not to hijack the thread, but am I being too hard on the Charlotte CS owner? I know some forum members own brick and mortar stores...
Silver Runner
Penny Pincher Member

Postby rexmerdinus » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:20 am

I get ASE's for Spot + $2.00
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:38 am

Silver Runner wrote:I visited Charlotte, NC this weekend with my family. We ventured into a LCS with good Google ratings. The staff was very friendly and helpful. While we were looking for bargains in the young queen world coinage my daughter loves so much, a seller entered with 10 rolls of 2010 ASE. The owner paid $27 per coin. $1.63 south of spot. The seller did not haggle one penny. I purchased some overpriced Canadian Junk Silver for my daughter's collection at 22x face. I was completely aware that it was overpriced but my LCS never has any, and my daughter was excited. I then asked the owner (my assumption) what he sold ASEs for. He stated $4.25 over spot for 2010s and $6 over spot for other years.

I felt like since I had seen the "theft" that I would have gotten a better deal on the "stolen merchandise". Why do sellers not check APMEX, Provident, etc buy prices before entering a LCS? Why would the seller assume the premium for their coins would completely vanish when selling? By the way through conversation it was easy to tell that the seller had purchased the coins from the same establishment.

Not to hijack the thread, but am I being too hard on the Charlotte CS owner? I know some forum members own brick and mortar stores...

I think you're being too hard on him. If he had offered $20 per ASE and sold them $6 over, that would be theft. Y'know what, that's not even fair. A commodity is worth what someone is willing to pay for it and what someone is willing to sell it for. If a customer walked in and offered to sell them for $10 each, the LCS owner would be an idiot to turn it down. And if a customer came in and offered $50 each for every ASE in the cabinet, the LCS owner would be an idiot to say they're only $34. A commodity is worth what someone is willing to sell it for and what someone else is willing to buy it for.
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby IdahoCopper » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:52 am

OneBiteAtATime wrote:
I think you're being too hard on him. If he had offered $20 per ASE and sold them $6 over, that would be theft. Y'know what, that's not even fair. A commodity is worth what someone is willing to pay for it and what someone is willing to sell it for. If a customer walked in and offered to sell them for $10 each, the LCS owner would be an idiot to turn it down. And if a customer came in and offered $50 each for every ASE in the cabinet, the LCS owner would be an idiot to say they're only $34. A commodity is worth what someone is willing to sell it for and what someone else is willing to buy it for.

I am not sure if I agree with this 100%. When I was a noob on here, I posted a score I got. I bought some 90% and war nicks at 2x face. The seller was a cashier at a gas station and had been collecting silver for years. So you would think she would realize the actual value of her coins. She offered them to me and was very happy to get 2x face for her coins.

Man-o-Man, you should have seen all the comments here on RC on how I ripped off the happy seller, by accepting her offering price and paying her so little. It did get me to thinking, and I agree now that 2x face really is too little, no matter how happy the seller is.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:37 pm

Silver Runner wrote:I visited Charlotte, NC this weekend with my family. We ventured into a LCS with good Google ratings. The staff was very friendly and helpful. While we were looking for bargains in the young queen world coinage my daughter loves so much, a seller entered with 10 rolls of 2010 ASE. The owner paid $27 per coin. $1.63 south of spot. The seller did not haggle one penny. I purchased some overpriced Canadian Junk Silver for my daughter's collection at 22x face. I was completely aware that it was overpriced but my LCS never has any, and my daughter was excited. I then asked the owner (my assumption) what he sold ASEs for. He stated $4.25 over spot for 2010s and $6 over spot for other years.

thats a great post, great story..(and you're a good father)

you know at first, one might think, "ah, what lowlifes"...but you know what?

thats trading

and when you trade, you're not a social service welfare office. you really got to have ice water in your vein's. You have to be able to discern when somebody HAS to sell....then you back your bid down, and when somebody has a hard on to buy, you smell that, you put your offer up there, make them reach.

you have to maybe have to change the way your soul moves...i'm not talking about "cheating"...a good trader never chearts because his word of honor is his currency, but you have to be hard, and, as i said, walk away from any deal, that doesnt fit in your parameters.

Normal life. i like to think i;m generous, soft hearted, love my neighbor, my brothers and sisters....but when you trade, its best to be emotionless. Thats why as i said i never do anything HERE...not because i dont trust these guys, quite the opposite...this is the only discussion forum, that if leadership said, "hey, we're thinking about having a summer camp meetng......PA..or IL"...i would kinda be pumped to attend, that would be fun, i'd anticipate some good fellowship, good discussions...hopefully lay the foundation of real friendships. But i'd be bringing frozen rib-eyes and sirloin to throw into the kick, not silver to trade...though i would bring some frns if Doc Rodee showed up with a 10 toz Rodee Rolo Roll...or Nate from the Cave, showed up with some half or whole pound hand crafted copper bars.

thats why i like Ebay.....when i see a roll i want, its just me against 5 to 10 other bidder's....when i win the auction, i IMMEDIATELY hit that "pay" button...and shazam, we're done.

i need me more ASE's for sure...always..great coin!
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:17 pm

IdahoCopper wrote:I am not sure if I agree with this 100%. When I was a noob on here, I posted a score I got. I bought some 90% and war nicks at 2x face. The seller was a cashier at a gas station and had been collecting silver for years. So you would think she would realize the actual value of her coins. She offered them to me and was very happy to get 2x face for her coins.

Man-o-Man, you should have seen all the comments here on RC on how I ripped off the happy seller, by accepting her offering price and paying her so little. It did get me to thinking, and I agree now that 2x face really is too little, no matter how happy the seller is.

I would not have ripped you. I look at it like this, if it was a friend or family member, then YES that would not be very Kosher to pay 2x FV. You could educate them a little bit and still pay them well under spot and be the good guy and get a good price. But as far as John-Q Public.....I think getting them as cheap as possible is more than acceptable. You have spent many hours studying and researching what coins are worth and their values. Just think, Apple isn't going to just sell you their products for FV...there is Research and Development involved.....thats what your Silver Awareness is..R&D

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby SandbergTifosi » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:31 am

Two LCS here. Both are about $6 premium, including state tax.
SandbergTifosi

Postby pennypicker » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:23 pm

Both LCS's in my area are $4 over spot.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals