I bought some silver dimes today

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

I bought some silver dimes today

Postby lewbo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:30 pm

I was waiting for a friend today and went into a pawn shop. They had 10 silver dimes, I got them for $23.50 total. I did not look at coin inflation first and see I paid about 10% over spot. What prices are you seeing out there?
Selling US pennies 1.9 face shipped. Never mind I am keeping everything!
lewbo
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: I bought some silver dimes today

Postby Robarons » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:33 pm

Current prices on realcent seem to be 22x

Local coin shops seem to be 22x to 23x
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:46 pm

lewbo wrote:I was waiting for a friend today and went into a pawn shop. They had 10 silver dimes, I got them for $23.50 total. I did not look at coin inflation first and see I paid about 10% over spot. What prices are you seeing out there?

I think you did ok, if you consider that if you bought some online you woulda paid spot and shipping, and usually a small batch like 10 dimes they would've asked for a premium. If I couldve taken them home today, I would have probably paid that as well.

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby wheeler_dealer » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:34 pm

You did fine. Now you own them cause YOU HOLD THEM. Soon you will be glad you bought them.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:05 pm

I hope to get more of these in the near future.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:06 pm

wheeler_dealer wrote:You did fine. Now you own them cause YOU HOLD THEM. Soon you will be glad you bought them.

Very true. I feel better holding and owning any silver I can get. I could always use a little more.... :thumbup:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SandbergTifosi » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:19 pm

That's much better than around here. Bought 25 or so Mercury dimes last month from my LCS and they were $2.70 per. Much better deals out there on the 'nets, but hate p/h and would rather keep the (little) money around here.
SandbergTifosi

Postby Hawkeye » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:37 am

I would have bought them for that. I'm always happy to get a small lot like that for anywhere close to spot.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby bookshelf » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:57 pm

I would pay the exact same price today to buy 10 silver dimes at my local coin shop.
Wanted: current Japanese YEN coins and bills
bookshelf
Penny Pincher Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:37 pm

I was so inspired by this post....so I went out and bought some today too! :thumbup:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fathead » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:59 am

in my neck of the woods, i can find junk silver for spot price in some coin shops. i also see people selling at spot on craigslist
fathead

Postby pennypicker » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:05 pm

My LCS is selling their dimes for $2.25 each...and that includes Mercs as well with no extra premium!

And here in Oregon there is no sales tax so you cherry pick your Mercs and its out the door at $2.25 each. :thumbup:
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:32 pm

SilverDragon72 wrote:
wheeler_dealer wrote:You did fine. Now you own them cause YOU HOLD THEM. Soon you will be glad you bought them.

Very true. I feel better holding and owning any silver I can get. I could always use a little more.... :thumbup:

Oh, and I picked up more today! :thumbup:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals