40% and warnix question from long time sorter

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

40% and warnix question from long time sorter

Postby wagsthadog » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:39 pm

Hi all!

wags here- with a question for the general bullion buying population-

I know about almost all the apects and pros and cons of 40% halves and war nickels, how they have heretofore sold below melt due to the difficulty in smelting, refining, etc-

My question is, will we ever see 40% and warnickels sell for straight melt? I use 90% as an example- Before 2013, lots of investors sniffed at it and thought that it would last forever- then it was revealed that supplies are actually limited, and the premium skyrocketed (relative to the usual premium for it).

They're not making any more 90%....but theyre also not making any more 40% or warnix, so I was wondering if anyone thinks we will ever get to the point where people buy and sell them at straight spot, without the usual percent under melt-

Maybe we're already there? I dunno, I havent dealt with 40% or warnix in a while for the above reasons :)

Will it take some sort of wake-up call where somebody has trouble getting a bag of either that sets off a frenzy?

wags
wagsthadog
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: 40% and warnix question from long time sorter

Postby scyther » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:50 pm

Provident Metals recently started selling 40% halves for over melt. Always used to be 45 cents under, now I think it's 15 over. As more are apparently still being melted, the supply is still decreasing, so logically I think it will happen eventually for war nickels. Could be decades though, I have no idea.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:54 pm

40% is near melt right now
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby beauanderos » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:59 pm

I think 40% will sell at melt soon... warnix should then take sole occupancy of the role of the redheaded stepchild when that happens. When silver moonshots and all junk becomes MUCH scarcer, war nickels will have their day in the sun... and fetch a premium to melt. :thumbup:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby scyther » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:38 pm

beauanderos wrote:I think 40% will sell at melt soon... warnix should then take sole occupancy of the role of the redheaded stepchild when that happens. When silver moonshots and all junk becomes MUCH scarcer, war nickels will have their day in the sun... and fetch a premium to melt. :thumbup:

It seems to me the opposite happens... when the price goes lower (like it is now), premiums go up. When it goes up, they should go down right? I believe I remember you (or maybe someone else) saying that when it hit the $40-$49 range in 2011, a lot of junk was melted... which necessarily would only happen if it sells for less than melt.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:49 pm

scyther wrote:
beauanderos wrote:I think 40% will sell at melt soon... warnix should then take sole occupancy of the role of the redheaded stepchild when that happens. When silver moonshots and all junk becomes MUCH scarcer, war nickels will have their day in the sun... and fetch a premium to melt. :thumbup:

It seems to me the opposite happens... when the price goes lower (like it is now), premiums go up. When it goes up, they should go down right? I believe I remember you (or maybe someone else) saying that when it hit the $40-$49 range in 2011, a lot of junk was melted... which necessarily would only happen if it sells for less than melt.

but you're assuming the silver supply is steady, whereas I feel that variable is not a constant. Throws off the equation. I think when the price rises rapidly, you DO have more sellers willing to take a quick profit (hoping to buy back on a subsequent dip). More sellers means more inventory for the dealers. No shortage of inventory means the dealers can just sell it at the rapidly rising price of melt and not worry about a premium. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out again, once the price appears to be firmly in unmistakable uptrend.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby SilverDragon72 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:52 pm

Got a quote from my LCS regarding Warnix....

1.45 each. Fair deal or no?
Obviously will fluctuate some with change in spot price.... :P
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rosco » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:03 pm

Melt value is $1.61 so $1.45 is good as far as I'm concerned.

I only have 15 an do not intend to sell but if I needed money 16 cents spread would be close enough for me on a coin of only 35% content 8-)
Last edited by Rosco on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby Chief » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:05 pm

I've sold 40% on here for melt, shipped. They sold in minutes, with multiple members showing interest. I'd say 40% is valued at melt by buyers. People want physical silver, especially at these lower prices.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:36 am

i think war nickels and 40% halves have very different metal composition. i like the halves much better.

right now, wholesale prices have barely budged. but there will be a substitution effect. 2 bucks over for 90% and 40% for under spot won't last long. the spread will compress, probably a bit in both directions. 40% is a lot less liquid so it will probably take a month or two to catch up.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:26 pm

Maybe a more important question isnt how well it will sell in relation to spot but premiums in relation to 90% or .999.

Because I can see 40% at melt as it is now, but 90% used to be around melt and is now over. I didnt run the math or anything but it is something to think about.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:18 pm

i would think 40% would always be a cheaper substittue for 90%.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby SilverDragon72 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:25 pm

Rosco wrote:Melt value is $1.61 so $1.45 is good as far as I'm concerned.

I only have 15 an do not intend to sell but if I needed money 16 cents spread would be close enough for me on a coin of only 35% content 8-)

Well, I may end up picking up a bunch of these. I like having silver in various size and quantity. Everything from 1 ouncer bars, to 90 percent dimes and quarters....and now possibly war nickels.

I've managed to find just a few during my nickel box searches, but I kinda want more! :mrgreen:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Slaphot » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:46 pm

I was thinking about this today actually. I think that warnix and 40% will sell for spot or more in the not to distant future. There is only so much silver to go around when prices start to really take off. That would mean junk would be selling at a hefty premium.
Slaphot
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby agmoose » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:21 pm

Went by my LCS today and bought some 40%, which I never do, but they were 1976 proof halves and quarters. Had to pay a small premium, but figure for proofs its OK. 10x face.

Picked up a few bucks fv in 90% at 23x. Not great, but not horrible, and there were a couple proof 1962 quarters in that.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals