What's wrong with my copper sorter?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

What's wrong with my copper sorter?

Postby richarca » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:49 pm

Hi everyone,
I recently bought a general production copper/silver coin sorter (see picture). I was really excited to speed up my copper process while saving my eyes too! However, this darn machine has an approx. 10-15% accuracy with picking out the copper. I've adjusted the sensitivity, and all of the other settings in comparison- then set back to the way I received it, but horrible accuracy! Also changed the cleanliness and years of my copper reference coins, but nothing... Do I just have a defective machine? Any recommendations? Thanks!
-Adam
Attachments
12944306754971991465580.jpeg
12944306754971991465580.jpeg (21.91 KiB) Viewed 445 times
richarca

Re: What's wrong with my copper sorter?

Postby stlouiscoin » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:30 pm

hmmm... I have the same sorter and have 98%+ accuracy. a couple things I have found that can mess it up:
having piles of coins withing 6" will throw off the magnetic sensor.
do you have a copper coin in the comparitor? I use a copper one, so the zincs fall right through but it has to eject the coppers.
are you feeding coines to fast? mine can do max 2 coins/sec.
also, try feeding all coppers through slowly. sometimes it gets off, and this resets it for me.
stlouiscoin
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby richarca » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:41 pm

Hi, I usually do have some coins lying around closeby. May I ask what sensitivity and settings you use? Also, would you recommend placing a zinc coin in as a reference? I actually haven't done that yet, will try to compare. Do you have a setup that keeps that machine at least 6 inches away from the coins being dropped into containers?
richarca

Postby Engineer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:09 pm

richarca wrote:Hi, I usually do have some coins lying around closeby. May I ask what sensitivity and settings you use? Also, would you recommend placing a zinc coin in as a reference? I actually haven't done that yet, will try to compare. Do you have a setup that keeps that machine at least 6 inches away from the coins being dropped into containers?

I don't have that sorter, but the best way most of us have found to run a ryedale is to use a zinc sample first, and then re-run the coppers with a copper sample. Doing it this way gives you a clean zinc pile, a clean copper pile, and a small mixed pile of foreign stuff and early wheats.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby algae21 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:04 am

I use one when I'm casually sorting while watching tv and get about 99% accuracy from it (an occassional copper winds up in the zinc side). I'm using a copper in the comparitor.

Here's the best I can tell you on how mine's adjusted. The sensitivity adjustment is phillips slotted with one of the slots having a metal backing. That particular, metal backed, slot is straight vertical (up and down). The timer switch, on the bottom right, is set to 20 ms (short).

Hope it helps.
algae21
Penny Pincher Member

Postby algae21 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:10 am

I just happened to think of this also. I did have a problem one time where everything was going to the zinc bin and I was pretty much convinced the unit was dead. It turned out to be a problem with the power supply. Somehow the connector wouldn't fully seat. So it could also be possible that you have either a bad PS or even a loose wire into the connector.
algae21
Penny Pincher Member

Postby richarca » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:36 am

That could be, algae21. I got so frustrated with it that I would give it a good hit from the bottom onto my bed..it would work for about 3-4 coppers- then stop working right back again. I'm demoralized at the moment b/c I'm trying to get this copper sorter going at a small budget and it's frustrating.
richarca

Postby tedandcam » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:04 pm

I took a bread twister to mine and bent the wire into a half loop at the connector end of the of the power supply cord. Then I used the twister to keep it in place.

Does yours beep when it first gets power? Mine does. If so, then plug it into a power strip and turn the button on the strip off and on to see if its actually a power supply issue. I flip the switch on mine every so often just to hear the beep. Then I know its working properly.

I too get a good 98-99% accuracy. Shoot me a PM if you can't get this resolved. I have an idea for you.

Ted
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing