Cash machines emptied across Cyprus

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Cash machines emptied across Cyprus

Postby blackrabbit » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:42 pm

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Re: Cash machines emptied across Cyprus

Postby wheeler_dealer » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:10 pm

Could this be a precursor for the future? This action by the government (politicians) was not a knee jerk reaction. Rather it was probably a behind the scene deal worked out in advanced. I can imagine that the orchestrators of this action were shielded from the levy having advance knowledge.
Can't imagine something of this level occurring here as we ( U.S.) have the printing press. Our government would probably use inflation (devaluation ) to achieve same results.
Store your extra cash in tangible assets (anyone on the island who had done this would have been rewarded).
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby justoneguy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:41 pm

It seems 40% of these deposits are not island residents.
their banks were used for privacy and low tax rates
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ZenOps » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:26 pm

Tax havens are staring to get hit. Cayman islands next?
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby blackrabbit » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:28 pm

I heard it was mostly Russians who had their money in Cyprus and that Russia has outlawed western banks from doing opening in Russia recently. So this in my mind seems to be economic warfare, the western banking establishment vs. the Russian oligarchs. The little guys get squashed and robbed in this game.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Z00 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:25 am

This has the very real potential to spread across the EU. I would not take any bets on a bank holiday being called in Cyprus next week, and possibly other places.

Also, consider this:
They are grabbing 10% of rich Russian money stored there. Russia supplies the lion's share of wheat to Cyprus. Any bets on the future price of wheat to Cyprus?

Ancient Chinese curse:
May you live in interesting times.

Stand by.......
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:56 am

This is HUGE!

Perfect example of "If you don't hold it you don't own it"
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby PennyPauper » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:07 am

Just read this one.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/ ... 3I20130317
Don't worry it will NEVER happen here! Nothing here,move along and go charge up some more debt and stimulate the bankers,i mean eCONomy.
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:07 am

Why would the article(Original at the top post) claim that bank runs are unlikely? They are likely, because to avoid this you would have to withdraw your funds before an announcement like this one.

Apparently the people withdrawing from ATMs are already screwed out of 6.5%, that is a massive tax/confiscation.

I would seriously loose my cool if that happend here. I may as well just lock myself up because I'd be headed for jail anyway.

Now, what Russian billionaire is going to stand for this? You might see some bankers missing fingers and heads soon.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby DTEJD1997 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:09 pm

There are going to be MASSIVE implications for this action...

Cyprus has been known for YEARS to be the money laundering haven for "dirty" money coming out of mother Russia.

So this might be ham fisted swipe at that...

If it goes through...this is going to put a damper on people keeping significant amounts of capital in the banking system...

I imagine there will also be some unintended consequences that we can't even imagine a this point...

We'll see.
DTEJD1997
Penny Pincher Member

Postby blackrabbit » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:31 pm

It will interesting to see what happens in the metals markets when they open today.
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby ZenOps » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:09 pm

Bank runs are unlikely because most people signed onto savings accounts that have daily limits on withdrawls (subject to discretion of the bank)

So, if the bank starts running low on cash - they simply lower the daily withdrawl maximums from $500 euros to $50 euros, problem solved. Its the exact same idea as giving the gold back to Germany over seven years.

Same with Canada, if you start running low on pennies - simply take them completely out of circulation.

As for US banks: http://www.uwsa.com/blog/banks/is-citib ... the-banks/

Somewhere around 2010 Citibank changed the rules on withdrawls to a one week delay. Meaning that at their discretion at any time for any withdrawl amount, they can make you wait one week to get your money (bills or otherwise)

Save those nickels.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:36 pm

justoneguy wrote:It seems 40% of these deposits are not island residents.
their banks were used for privacy and low tax rates

So what?

It has already been taxed. These are people's savings.
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:40 pm

blackrabbit wrote:I heard it was mostly Russians who had their money in Cyprus and that Russia has outlawed western banks from doing opening in Russia recently. So this in my mind seems to be economic warfare, the western banking establishment vs. the Russian oligarchs. The little guys get squashed and robbed in this game.

Whether or not it is mafia money being stolen, it is the mafia stealing it that should be getting attention.

Remember how we were told that all Greeks were lazy and Bla Bla Bla?

What will the guys stealing our money call us when it is our turn?
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Postby smalltimeopn » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:24 pm

This story actually made the evening news with Brian Williams. I watched just to see if they would give it any air time. I figured they would not even report it.......
smalltimeopn
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions