selling 1oz silver eagles

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

selling 1oz silver eagles

Postby gubni » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:24 pm

I know this may sound like a silly question, but I am working on a deal to buy 480 1oz silver eagles. I will have to borrow the money to buy them and want to pay back quickly. I know they sell for $35 each, so do you think I could move them quickly at $30 each? Is there anything in particular that I should pay attention to? To me they are just bullion but it seems some people tend to like them more than that. Thanks for the help.
"Every man I meet is in some way my superior."
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
gubni
Penny Collector Member

Re: selling 1oz silver eagles

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:31 pm

Get the deal done and you will have no problem selling them at $30 each. Good luck!
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby natsb88 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:33 pm

If you post them here for $30 each, they will sell quickly. But being a newer member, you will probably have to ship before payment to get anyone to jump on them. If you are willing to ship first, and are selling at ~$1 over spot, I'll take two tubes :thumbup:
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby twentybux » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:47 pm

natsb88 wrote:If you post them here for $30 each, they will sell quickly. But being a newer member, you will probably have to ship before payment to get anyone to jump on them. If you are willing to ship first, and are selling at ~$1 over spot, I'll take two tubes :thumbup:

+1 :clap:
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby gubni » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:51 pm

In buying them is there anything I should look out for?

Yeah, I don't think I would be willing to ship before payment.

I may just list the price as $31.20 and I will cover fees which would net me $30 and give the buyer protection also.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
gubni
Penny Collector Member

Postby slvrbck » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:52 pm

Where are u located. I'd be willing to drive a considerable distance to buy all of them at 30
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby gubni » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:54 pm

slvrbck wrote:Where are u located. I'd be willing to drive a considerable distance to buy all of them at 30

I am in Jonesborough TN 37659.

I just want to make it clear this is not a for sale thread, but rather one on what it's worth and what I should look for when buying.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
gubni
Penny Collector Member

Postby NDFarmer » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:16 pm

If you are looking to sell at $30.00 and make some money what are you buying them at? If it is a deal that sounds to good to be true it probably is. If someone is selling Silver Eagles at spot or below I would be very suspicious.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby agmoose » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:30 pm

NDFarmer wrote:If you are looking to sell at $30.00 and make some money what are you buying them at? If it is a deal that sounds to good to be true it probably is. If someone is selling Silver Eagles at spot or below I would be very suspicious.

Exactly. Its been a couple years since ASE's were under $30 each, which you seem to be implying you'd get them for. There are fakes out there......and crooks. Be careful. You'll have no trouble moving them here at $31 each.......tubes, singles, etc.

Good luck.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:59 pm

I'd take a friend with me, for my six and probably one in the car.

If you are talking about 500, you can afford to damage a couple to test them, especially if you don't know this seller.

I'll buy the damaged ones, if I must. Just be safe.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby OtusLotus » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:35 pm

I would invest in a inexpensive jeweler's scale to the .001 and a magnet.

I would make sure that each eagle weighs 31.1 grams and make sure they are NOT magnetic!

Now, I wouldn't weigh EACH one, but I would just take some random ones and check to make sure what you are buying is legit.

There is also a thread here about counterfeit ASEs, which I believe has some pictures as well...

Why is the guy selling 480 to YOU? If YOU know you can get $35 each on Ebay... then I am pretty sure HE knows he can do that also...

CAVEAT EMPTOR!!! my friend!
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:19 am

pass. too good to be true.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:39 am

Lemon Thrower wrote:pass. too good to be true.

I'm not sure whether you meant that as your personal opinion of buying up some of the SAEs, or advice to the OP...but either way I agree.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheba » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:39 pm

gubni wrote:I know this may sound like a silly question, but I am working on a deal to buy 480 1oz silver eagles. I will have to borrow the money to buy them and want to pay back quickly. I know they sell for $35 each, so do you think I could move them quickly at $30 each? Is there anything in particular that I should pay attention to? To me they are just bullion but it seems some people tend to like them more than that. Thanks for the help.

Your questions is most certainly not 'silly' ... but follow the advice of the experts on here. BE CAREFUL. That is an 'almost to good to be true' sale ... and if you borrow money to buy worthless counterfeits (not saying they are ... just sayin'), you'll be a lonnnnnnnnng time digging out! :(

Be careful my friend, be very, very careful! Don't 'assume' anything!

The very best wishes to you in this!
Sheba

Now let's see ... where is that blasted cat! I'm hungry. woof, whine, drool, sniff ... 'here kitty, kitty, kitty, nice kitty. Where are you little kitty?
Sheba
Penny Collector Member

Postby schockergd » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:14 pm

I have bought plenty of ASEs in the $30 range, even some in the $20 range from highly motivated sellers, and they were legit.

The problem is , as many, many have said, there are TONS of fakes out there. Even some guys who are constantly posting on craigslist under spot in the hope of getting unknowing victims in.

I agree , take 2-3 guys with you (And i suggest that they are ARMED during the transaction).

Does the guy want cash or will he take a certified cashier's check? I'm going to guess and say if you're willing to sell at $30ea you're paying $25-$28/ea which would be around $12,000 in total cash.

Any LEGITIMATE person will be willing to meet you at a bank and accept a cashier's check from said bank, if they don't then I would worry.

Take magnets, testing supplies, acid and everything you can imagine, test a half dozen or so.
schockergd
Penny Pincher Member

Postby gubni » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:37 pm

I am paying by paypal, so I am assuming paypal will protect me from fraud.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
gubni
Penny Collector Member

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:40 pm

I am not so sure about paypal protecting you unless buying through e-bay. Does anyone know how that works?
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:09 pm

If you use your credit card via paypal you are protected.

If not, you are not.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby gubni » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:10 am

I paid by credit card with paypal. Hopefully they will be real.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
gubni
Penny Collector Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:37 am

Engineer wrote:
Lemon Thrower wrote:pass. too good to be true.

I'm not sure whether you meant that as your personal opinion of buying up some of the SAEs, or advice to the OP...but either way I agree.

i don't know the OP but there are just too many things that increase the chance they may be fake. its not worth saving a few bucks to take such extra risks imho.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby christostock » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:56 am

I have bought many boxes of ASE from sellers I did not know.
I always meet them at a bank under the cameras.
At one of MY bank branches. They must call me and talk on the phone before I arrange to meet them.
You can tell on the phone if you want to meet them or not.
If you have no experience buying ASE then bring someone with you who knows.
It appears you bought them online through paypal somehow?
Are the coins in your possession now?
I also know several people that will never buy metal again because their first sizeable deal was fake silver coins and they did not know how to tell the difference.
I have also encountered lots of fake silver that people were trying to sell me, some people were scammers and some were "so called" "seasoned professionals" that were scammed.
BE CAREFUL and always be prepared and able to SAY NO to a deal and walk away.
Better to lose a little time instead of time AND money.
Now accepting direct payments through Wells Fargo bank and TD bank.
christostock
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals