Newbie-$150 my 8 year old daughter found Indian!!!

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Newbie-$150 my 8 year old daughter found Indian!!!

Postby frburk » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:52 am

Hi all, just started hand sorting with my 8 year old daughter and the first $150 in pennies we have found 72 wheats, 16 canadians, 1 indian head dated 1903, and over $50 in coppers! I hope this isnt begginners luck! I am about to buy a Ryedale tomorrow because I am planning on doing $100 to $200 dollars worth a week. I have been reading your posts for about 3 weeks now and greatly enjoy hearing about everyone's great finds! My daughter is hooked forever because I am letting her keep the wheats,canadians, and the indian heads(hopefully we will find more) for her own coin collection. I mainly just wanted to say thanks for all the info that got us started in this great hobby!
frburk

Re: Newbie-$150 my 8 year old daughter found Indian!!!

Postby beauanderos » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:00 am

frburk wrote:Hi all, just started hand sorting with my 8 year old daughter and the first $150 in pennies we have found 72 wheats, 16 canadians, 1 indian head dated 1903, and over $50 in coppers! I hope this isnt begginners luck! I am about to buy a Ryedale tomorrow because I am planning on doing $100 to $200 dollars worth a week. I have been reading your posts for about 3 weeks now and greatly enjoy hearing about everyone's great finds! My daughter is hooked forever because I am letting her keep the wheats,canadians, and the indian heads(hopefully we will find more) for her own coin collection. I mainly just wanted to say thanks for all the info that got us started in this great hobby!

before you buy something brand new, check into used machines, which are more plentiful than you might imagine. Apdigs8 over at BullionStacker.com has one for sale right now, he is open to offers.

http://www.bullionstacker.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3134&start=20

Good luck, great finds :thumbup:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Morsecode » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:36 pm

Quality time with your daughter. Even when you have an off night of sorting, it'll still be better than renting videos.

Have fun 8-)
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby justoneguy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:32 pm

Indians usually run in tribes.
when you find one, there's another one hiding close.
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby wheeler_dealer » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:38 am

Welcome aboard. Congratulations on your "beginners luck" LOL. Sorting together can be fun and rewarding. Oh yea and potentially profitable. Good luck acquiring your RYEDALE. Keep us updated on your results.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby outofsort » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:34 pm

Very nice way to start! I hand sort with my 12yo daughter and we make a good team. If I only had her eyesight!!! Her penny collection is progressing nicely and she likes to show it off to people - especially the 1906 we found.
outofsort
Penny Pincher Member

Postby RichardPenny43 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:12 pm

Welcome and congrats on a great start. :thumbup:
Finding an IHC in your first $150 is awesome!
30%+ Cu is awesome too!
Be sure you have a good dump plan before you get the Ryedale because those zincs pile up fast. ;)
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Numis Pam » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:26 am

:wave: Welcome to RC. Hope to hear more from your sorting efforts. Love to hear of kids involved too..... :angel:
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Slaphot » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:40 am

Welcome aboard! Make sure you get your daughter a wheat folder such a Littleton,if you have not done so already.
Slaphot
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby frburk » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:51 am

Thanks for the replies. I have since gotten $200 more in pennies and in first box and a half only found 10 wheats, 6 canadians, 0 indians, and copper unknown....waiting on NEW Rydale to come in. I checked with my local credit union who I am a member with and they have FREE coin machine to dump pennies...now i will have 2 dumps! This is honestly true story, while I was at credit union a woman was cashing in change and 1 coin fell out twice after 2 tries. she looked at it and COMPLAINED that it was a canadian quarter and I replied that I would give her a quarter for it because my 8 year old daughter collects canadian money. she smiled and said that I could have it for free. I thanked her and looked at it and it was a 1962 SILVER canadian quarter and I did give it to my daughter for her collection!
frburk

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:01 am

Great story on the Canadian quarter. That is the one good thing about the CoinStar machines. I occasionally use the free one at my CU when I can get there while they are open. Sometimes I won't even bother to sort the dimes ahead of time.. just drop them in the Coinstar and let it sort the silver out for me. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing